PABEAV56

Oil Change For Diesel Motorhome

Can I get everybody's opinion on what type of oil they use in diesel engines? I have a 2006 Fleetwood with a CAT 07 300-horsepower engine. I am curious as to what types of oil is best. Thanks.

Choose any diesel oil that meets Caterpillar specs (and I will add, "that you can find anywhere").

So, Delo 400 15-40 and Shell Rotella T 15-40 come to mind. There are other oils that meet Caterpillar's specs, but these two you will find at virtually every Walmart in the country as well as at truck stops and auto parts houses.

Brett

I have used Shell Rotila-T for years in our diesel coaches which all had Cat engines. Oil allalysis always came back positive. It comes in 1, 2 1/2, 5, & 55 Gal containers. I use two 2 1/2 gal containers because I need 19 quarts. I save the 1 quart left to add if I need too.

Hi PABEAV56,

I use Penzoil 15W-40, just because I've been using it for years with no problems. I'm also of the belief that once one starts to use a particular brand of oil, one does not change. Find something you can find easily and go with it. Any major brand of oil will do.

Thanks for all the info , I just called the mechanic who changed my oil and he said it was rotella CJ-4. Also I notice someone said something about having the oil analyze what's that for?

Thanks for all the info , I just called the mechanic who changed my oil and he said it was rotella CJ-4. Also I notice someone said something about having the oil analyze what's that for?

An oil analysis is an excellent idea-- I do it every other oil change and the next change anytime I change the air filter.

After changing the air filter, it will tell you if the new filter has a good seal/no dirt is getting around it (silica [sand] is one of the things they test for).

It will also tell you if there is abnormal wear on engine components, you have gone too long on that oil change, etc.

With your Caterpillar engine, I would select a Caterpillar dealer who you will be using and buy oil sample kits from them. The advantage of using kits from one dealer is that they keep a record and can tell you if any out of line trends are starting.

The kits come with a pre-paid mailer. As the oil is drained when changing it, a sample is taken. Mail it in and in a week or so you will get a written report.

Brett

Hi Brett,

The oil is Penzoil Long Life Gold, 15W-40. The label says it is for diesel engines. The specs it meets are:

API CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CH-4, CG-4, CF-4/SL, SM

ACEA E7

Caterpillar ECF-3

Cummins CES 20081

Detroit Diesel 93K218

Mack EO-O Premium Plus 07

MAN M3275

Mercedes Benz 228.3

Volvo VDS-4

It is recommended for engines with Diesel Particulate Filters, agriculture applications. hight temperature operation and engines using EGR. Go tohttp://www.pennzoil.com/documents/LongLife%20heavy%20duty%20multi%20and%20single%20grade.pdf and read about it.

Gary,

Thanks for posting the answer. I was looking up just the regular/original Pennzoil. Obliviously, they make quite a few different oils meeting many different specs.

Brett

I GOT MY FIRST DIESEL MOTORHOME HOW MANY MILES DO YOU DRIVE BETWEEN OIL CHANGES

It varies by engine manufacturer, model, year (EPA spec) and can even vary by which oil capacity pan you have.

But, all recommend changing once a year, independent of mileage.

Let us know what engine you have and we can give you better advice.

PABEAV56,

All great answers I will through my 2 cents in. I use Mobil1 5-40 in my Cummins. I like that it has superior protection for the turbo and flows faster on start up. I do oil testing but more to know if I have a problem than to extend the oil change. I am not Shure what Cat recommends but Cummins recommends 15000 miles or yearly. Here is a link to Mobil’s web site.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_Turbo_Diesel_Truck_5W-40.aspx

Bill

PABEAV56,

All great answers I will through my 2 cents in. I use Mobil1 5-40 in my Cummins. I like that it has superior protection for the turbo and flows faster on start up. I do oil testing but more to know if I have a problem than to extend the oil change. I am not Shure what Cat recommends but Cummins recommends 15000 miles or yearly. Here is a link to Mobil’s web site.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_Turbo_Diesel_Truck_5W-40.aspx

Bill

Two points:

1. Please use the viscosity recommended by your engine manufacturer for your engine and ambient temperatures.

2. Mobil DOES make an oil for diesel engines (as Bill posted), BUT be sure that if you use Mobil 1 in a diesel that you DO USE THE "FOR DIESEL" OIL, as most Mobil 1 you will find on the shelf is NOT for diesels.

Brett,
Following the link posted will show that the 5-40 oil meets or exceeds the manufactures specifications.

Bill

Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck meets or exceeds the requirements of the following industry and builder specifications:

API CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4/ SM, SL, SJ

ACEA E7 Issue 2

Caterpillar ECF-2,ECF-3

Bill,

Yes, the Mobil 1 for diesels meets the specs. Their "regular" Mobil 1 does not.

But, except in very cold climes, I would question the 5 weight.

I use Rotella synthetic 5 - 40 for diesel engines. I find that it lowers the operating temp a tiny bit, but I have noticed a slightly higher MPG. Of course, a lot of things could contribute to that. I've just used synthetic oil in all my vehicles for years, and probably just a matter of personal preference.

I came upon this forum while searching for CAT 3126e maintenance tutorials. I have a 2001 Airstream L/Y 390XL and would like to do most of the maintenance myself. However, I am a newbie when it comes to the peculiarities of diesel, such as water separators, etc. Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

I see I'm late to the party, but maybe somebody's still checking this thread? To be safe, I also joined Brett's Diesel Club.

Anyway, I've got an 8V-71 in my converted bus. It had fresh oil approximately 3000 miles ago but, sadly, has not been driven - or even started - for more than a year. The old oil still looks, feels and smells fine but should obviously be changed. Problem: The bus is parked in an extremely confined space, and needs to be moved to change the oil - or at least started, aired up and blocked.

My Question: Am I safe to fire it up the way it is, or should I add some sort of oil treatment? Should I pour some oil into the filler to lubricate the upper engine components? Or, in an abundance of caution, should I have it towed to a better work area (or repair facility)?

It's a beautiful engine (recent out-of frame rebuild by Harper Diesel) and I don't want to risk messing it up. I've never had to add more than two liters between changes... and that was after some tough mountain driving. Unlike most diesels, the oil remains clear hundreds of miles after a change.

Any advice appreciated.

Tony

Tony,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum (and the Diesel RV Club Chapter as well).

Were it mine, I would disable the fuel supply (your DD tech can tell you how) and crank the engine for 5-6 10 second cycles with plenty of cool down time for the starter between. That will help get oil up in the engine before starting.

And with a DD two stroke make sure you are using the correct single viscosity diesel oil. Delo 100 40 weight has been a popular choice for many decades.

Then, I would take it for a drive-- long enough to get the oil, not just coolant up to operating temperature (25 highway miles comes to mind) and than change the oil.

Make sure to check tires, etc before moving if it has sat for that long.

I think I would be concerned about the fuel and add a good additive with biocide before taking it out for a run. I would also be running the generator with at least 50% load.

Bill

when changing the oil filter, do you fill the filter or apply it dry? 400 cat turbo 07 revolution.

thanks Al

Welcome to the forum.

I always fill the filter. I am most concerned about getting oil to the turbo fast.

Bill

And Caterpillar says NOT to fill the filter. The few seconds it takes to fill the filter is less critical than the chance that there will be a small contaminant in the oil (yes, even in new oil).