gnggrimes

RV Break in

Our 40’ 2008 Tiffin was recently broken into in our covered RV storage facility. They entered through the shower skylight!  They tried to screw driver the ignition but to no avail.  Has any one experienced something similar and do you have any ideas for skylight security?

Nothing will stop a determined thief if they feel they have the time to do what they want and escape undetected.  If you installed  a wire barrier under the skylight, it might deter a nervous thief afraid they would be detected while taking the time to cut the wires, on the other hand, they might decide it is quicker to smash a window and enter the MH.

There is nothing in our RV that money cannot replace,  we carry adequate insurance to help replace anything stolen or destroyed. Other than that we don't worry about theft of interior stuff. As for stealing the MH, it is always stored with leveling jacks down, and the 40A fuse removed. It will take a knowledgeable person to figure out why the jacks will not work, even if they figure out how to retract the jacks.

My RV dealer was experiencing often break-ins in new high dollar motorhomes and he finally stopped it by installing a 8' high 7,000 volt multi strand electric fence around his entire lot.

Bit of a "over kill!"

We have cameras at the ranch, from the gate to the yard..around houses, barn's and shed, most look like 360 degree dome cameras, run by batteries for the red glow.  They all have smiley faces below them & 2/3 are fake, dusk to dawn lights are on, when we are gone...the house and barn's are protected by a Security firm when we are not here, rest of the time we'll take care of it by any means!  Signs are posted in English, Spanish, Portuguese & Potus!  Main reason for this, is my Fiances past husband was a gun smith & I have a small auto/truck collection!

20 hours ago, gnggrimes said:

Our 40’ 2008 Tiffin was recently broken into in our covered RV storage facility. They entered through the shower skylight!  They tried to screw driver the ignition but to no avail.  Has any one experienced something similar and do you have any ideas for skylight security?

Sorry to hear!! 
As Ray already said, if they want in they’ll get in.

One of our neighbors recently had their MH broken into at a storage facility. The front door was pried open and they stole several items including a TV. Then to add insult to injury the crooks sprayed the fire extinguisher around the interior.

My son had his trailer stored at a fenced (secure?) storage facility and some broke the entry door lock and actually lived it the trailer for a week before it was discovered.  No hookups but the toilet was used and FULL of "stuff".  What a mess.  Took a lawsuit to get the storage company to cover damages.

Lenp

Not an RV, but related. My brother had a boat in a outdoor secure storage facility. One time when he went to pick up his boat, that was covered by a tarp, he found out someone was living in it. There was trash from McDonalds, empty water bottles etc. The storage lot refused to take any responsibility. 

3 hours ago, manholt said:

Unless you can find where the fence is cut, I think they all are a inside job!  :ph34r:

When I was living in San Antonio(many years ago) was when they started having tall security walls around storage places. Well the crooks just rented a space or two and now they have all the acess codes. They also have a place to store some of the stuff they took from outher storage lockers.  

Bill

On 3/8/2020 at 9:53 PM, lenp said:

My son had his trailer stored at a fenced (secure?) storage facility and some broke the entry door lock and actually lived it the trailer for a week before it was discovered.  No hookups but the toilet was used and FULL of "stuff".  What a mess.  Took a lawsuit to get the storage company to cover damages.

Lenp

I thought that all storage facilities had a letter of responsibility that renters had to sign. It basically said that the storage facility was not responsible for, well anything.

We are fortunate to have enough space at our house to stop our MH.  I have 5 cameras around my property, two of them watch the coach.  They work both day and night and are recorded.  They all have a infrared on them so there is a slight red light that is easy to see at night.  I think this has been enough to keep thieves away.