dbenoit

Genny stalling out

If all the fuel related responses do not solve your problem, you may have the some thing I experienced about 3 years ago. Same as yours, the generator would start and then die. Finally took it to Onan and found the engine temperature  sensor had broken. Replaced and started up immediately! Sensor is at the right rear of the engine on top of the coolant manifold. Technician stated that Onan had experienced a lot of the same failure. 

Jerry

1 hour ago, Jerry1938 said:

If all the fuel related responses do not solve your problem, you may have the some thing I experienced about 3 years ago. Same as yours, the generator would start and then die. Finally took it to Onan and found the engine temperature  sensor had broken. Replaced and started up immediately! Sensor is at the right rear of the engine on top of the coolant manifold. Technician stated that Onan had experienced a lot of the same failure. 

Jerry

Was this temperature sensor on a gasoline Onan genset  like the OP's or a diesel???

Just last June, I experienced the same as Jerry with my Honda LP generator, it was a low water sensor causing my problem, very small leak in the radiator, as soon as the radiator went low genny would stop. Low oil sensor will also cause the genny to stop.

I just noticed all the corrosion on your generator. Do you live or spend a lot of time on the coast?
The corrosion would indicate that other items on you generator could be corroded, causing you problem. I.E. electrical connections, slip rings, etc.

Richard

Richard, yes he does, he lives in NH but spends most of his RV time fishing in the Atlantic (in shore areas) !  

Update, Figured it out.........should have but didn’t check oil level, feel kind of embarrassed.

I was looking at the oil level switch and then called myself an idiot worth a few swears (again, lol).

Checked, filled to level and it didn’t stall. Sometimes the most simplest gets bypassed.

Add that to my list.

;’