dbenoit

Genny stalling out

Greetings, I have an Onan RV OG 7000 gas model that starts and runs for a few then stalls out. I know the tank was less than 1/4 so I filled it up

but the same thing happens. It has 140 hrs on it. Imma gonna see tonight if I can get any error codes. I started it in the MH and

from the genny with the CB's off and it does it all the time. After like 10 trys it stayed running. Do you think the fuel filter or possibly the pump is problem.

Thoughts?

Genny.jpg

D, it's a small cost to change the filter to see if that help (and can't hurt either way) before looking at a fuel pump. Just IMH.

Herman

(Or it may be just saying please get me to warm weather:D)

I might just do that after a few checks this afternoon. The maintenance is due at 150 hrs, so imma close.

David

21 minutes ago, DBenoit said:

I might just do that after a few checks this afternoon. The maintenance is due at 150 hrs, so imma close.

David

David!   140 Total hrs. ? 

How long did the coach set before you started the generator?

With the fuel tank that low, it could have taken a few try's to re prime the fuel line. When you hold the stop side of the switch down, does the fuel  pump ? That is the way most of the Onan units prime  the system.

Did it run fine after it started? and was it under load?

Rich.

I got this error code: flash flash......flash flash or 22

Code 22 - Governor Actuator Overload
Indicates the duration of operation is near full-duty cycle beyond design limit.
A. Reduce Load
Reduce the number of connected appliances, especially air conditioners and battery chargers. (Review load management in Section 4.4.)
B. Check Air Filter Element
Replace the air filter if dirty.
C. Check Exhaust System
If exhaust system is blocked, remove blockage.

A. There is no load, circuit breakers on genny are off.

B. Need to check that now but I didn’t go really dusty.

C. I don’t see blockage

Funny I tried starting about 8 times and it stalled out after about 1 minute each start. After the tries it started and stayed running, I put a load on it and it kept going.

Ghost in the machine.

I took the air cleaner out and it stayed running. Air cleaner looks new?

Shut it down and put air cleaner back in and it started and stayed running.

Help me Mr. Wizard!.........remember where that came from.

Possibility, Float in carburetor sticking due to old stale fuel turning to varnish, finally enough newer fuel was introduced to soften the varnish.

It cannot harm anything to add/mix in, the correct amount of SeaFoam to your gas tank. Then run the genset for at least 2 hours at 1/2 load every month. (Cummins/Onan recommendation)

No fault codes. I think your right Ray. DW said I didn’t give it enough time to get that good gas flowing freely.

Think imma gonna tell her it was a loose wire. SeaFoam eh? Ty

David

2 hours ago, DBenoit said:

Help me Mr. Wizard!.........remember where that came from.

YesTV show that in various forms ran from 1951-1965. 

Here is a Mr. Wizard tip. If you don't want to buy enough SeaFoam to treat your full tank. You can take a small gas can and mix it up in there. then run a hose to your fuel pump and let it pull from the smaller gas can. This way you can run a slightly richer mixture without breaking the bank. I would warm it up then run it under 80%+ load for a while (30 min to an hour) then take the load off and let it cool down for at least 10 min before shutting off. 

I think Mr. Wizard showed this tip in episode 265 :P

Bill

3 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

YesTV show that in various forms ran from 1951-1965. 

Here is a Mr. Wizard tip. If you don't want to buy enough SeaFoam to treat your full tank. You can take a small gas can and mix it up in there. then run a hose to your fuel pump and let it pull from the smaller gas can. This way you can run a slightly richer mixture without breaking the bank. I would warm it up then run it under 80%+ load for a while (30 min to an hour) then take the load off and let it cool down for at least 10 min before shutting off. 

I think Mr. Wizard showed this tip in episode 265 :P

Bill

Great idea Bill, use a 5G can with 1 can SeaFoam! Rural King is selling SeaFoam for $6.99/can right now, usually $8.99. For a 100G gas tank = $35 + tax.

I remember back in the late 50's my uncle had a Gumout adapter for the carb, it had a rubber plug for the gas line then a fitting to screw into the carb. You ran straight Gumot through the carb. Talk about smoke 👃 One winter He didn't raise the bay doors, we had to feel for  the door without tripping.

DBenoit

I  have a Onan  4KY OG 4000 in my 2014 Winnebago  Class C Motor Home.  In my case I had to replace the CARB. Many dollars for sure

with Labor, its not cheap.

Reason was I did not run it as required reference the manual, two hour 3/4 load per month.

So u-tube  SeaFoam and Onan Gen Set Is where I would start We see Bill found it.

Ethanal in the gas is a problem.  So here is my question ? Would it hurt to put SeaFoam in the gas tank for

the Ford V-10 and the Gen Set Onan.   It is fact that  Onan does not like the  the gas of today 10 percent Ethanal.

Maybe every  3rd or 4th tank fill The tank with  SeeForm will clean up the fuel system. ( One  oz to 16 gallons.)

SHOULD STATE ONE BOTTLE FOR 16 GALLONS  OF FUEL. WHAT I PAYED FOR A CARB AND LABOR, AND ELECTRONIC

BOARD I COULD BROUGHT  60 BOTTLES   OF SEAFOAM. 

THE MAIN PROBLEM NO GENERATOR , NOT GOOD . FOR 7 DAYS.

So much for a can of worms.     

Just some thoughts.

Tim the mailman

Edited by mailman
correction of facts

We put Sea Foam in the Ford expedition, Jeep Wrangler and Chevy 3/4 T., P/U.  Since they are all gas engines, it should be OK for DB's coach!

I found this to share. Time to buy some SeaFoam. I might just add it to the main tank and go from there seeing the genny is running quite well now.

Thanks guys.

David

10 hours ago, mailman said:

Would it hurt to put SeeFoam in the gas tank for

the Ford V-10 and the Gen Set Onan. 

Not a bit. The method I was talking about lets you run a much richer mix cheaper than treating the whole tank to that level. I would absolutely run some in the main tank on a regular basis.

Bill

General information; SeaFoam is also safe for diesel engines, it's right on the can in green lettering.

On my diesel coach I use KLEEN. You don't want to pay for Sea Foam in a 150 or 200 gal tank, every time you fill up! In winter I use some anti gel and Bio cide all year!  Don't want slime in my fuel.

David, Living way up North. One should keep the fuel tank full to reduce the water condensation.

Glad it is running now with no error codes.

Rich. 

17 hours ago, jleamont said:

David, have you been running it monthly to exercise it?

No I wasn't. Now I will. I'm pretty sure it was a combo of running it almost out of fuel and letting it sit.

If I were to write all my lesson learned it would be like a complete set of Thomas Register if anyone still remembers what that was.

David

I remember the Thomas Register quite well. Had a complete copy in my office at Montgomery Elevator. I got a new set every three years. The old ones made great booster seats for our shorter employees :D.

Herman

Finally ran the seafoam thru. Disconnected fuel line and fed it from a jug mix.

Ran it for 45 mins. Unloaded and loaded. Seemed to run and restart OK.😀

I will try it tomorrow to confirm results

16 hours ago, manholt said:

DB, lesson learned?

It was stalling this morning. I think Imma gonna rule out fuel by checking the gas filter and pump.

Pretty sure it’s 12v but ill measure it anyways. Pretty easy to remove and it has the part#

on it. JIC.