miairhead

Thor door locks

I had on my 2015 Thor Four Winds 31w  break, locking us out. The latch broke inside unit, and had to pry my way into unit (one of the very few times I did not have cab key with me: now have keys stored hidden area).  Seems Thor uses a TriMark lock, so it not easy to get a better lock or one with a fob.

Miairhead,

I have TriMark lock on my coach, 2002 Monaco Dynasty. I have a key fob that when I lock the coach it not only locks and unlocks the door but all the bay doors as well.

Herman

We carry a spare set of key's & fob in toad, same with toad keys in coach!  I used a "hide-a-key" magnetic box in my bumper, about 40 years ago, until a LEO told me, that's the first place a thief will look before they smash a window! :ph34r:

Edited by manholt

My lock broke so I used this kit to repair it. Easy to install and works great. I replaced this Trimark lock 3 times in 8 years on my old motorhome. I wish this was available then.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-Motorhome-Door-Handle-Repair-Kit-Trimark-060-1650-T507-Stainless-Steel-Latch/154015482191?hash=item23dc09c14f:g:FFcAAOSwwjVe1DID

Edited by rgoodsell

I have a 2015 THOR Hurricane motor home and I had the Trimark lock. It broke twice. The first time, I climbed through the emergency window and remove the 4 bolts on the inside cover. Then I was able to take a flat head screwdriver and move the latch back so it would disengage and door could open. I called Trimark and complained about the latch they used. Half of it was plastic and the connecting other half was metal.  The latch snapped at the connection plastic/metal connection point. Trimark was less than sympathetic. They told me that we shut the door too hard. But, she could sell me a new complete lock for $250. But, they were out of stock and it should be available in 2 to 3 weeks. I was 1000 miles from home. Luckily, I found one locally and got it installed.

The second time the Trimark lock broke, my wife was inside and I knew the problem. So, I walk her through the process of removing the screws and we opened the door. I again, called Trimark and told them the problem. And again, they were less than sympathetic. But this time, they told me that they fixed the plastic to metal latch problem with a total metal latch. I ask if I could get the new total metal latch only. I have 2 complete locks that would work fine if I had the new total metal latch. No! they could not send me or sell me the latch only. But; you guessed it, they could sell me the new lock for $250. I again was 1000 miles from home, so I bought a lock locally.

When I got home, I called Trimark again and complained. But this time, they told me that the lock was under warranty and they would send me "free of charge"' a new lock with the improved total metal latch. 

I seen this same Trimark lock problem posted several times. I did not get a recall letter, but I hear there may be one out there.

So, if you have a Trimark lock, I would encourage you to call Trimark and give them the number on the back of the lock. If it is the old style, get it replaced. It is no fun trying to fix it when you are on the road.    

I love the idea of not having to grab the keys to unlock it. There is also a remote fob included which can be really useful when trying to load up something and have full hands. Carmtek is a well-made RV lock, feels very solid, it's way heavier than the one originally on our camper. At first, I was a little apprehensive about the price but security is a big piece of my mind!

Edited by tom7020