f375818

Onan 7.5 kw genset starter problem

Starter motor turns but will not crank genset.  House batteries new and fully charged. Removed starter for bench test.  Again, starter motor turns, meter shows 12.4 vdc while starter is under test.  Reinstalled starter in genset with the same results-start motor solenoid engages with starter spinning but still will not crank genset.

Is it possible that the start motor reacts as indicated during bench test (no load) but does not have enough torque to turn the genset (max load)?

Cannot find Onan start motor on inet but found a Cummings  starter that looks the same with the same part #.  Looks like it would work but hesitate to order because "electrical" parts are generally non returnable.  Could it be that the start motor just needs new brushes?

Any help appreciated!!! 

Measure voltage at the generator starter when engaging the starter.  If voltage drops below 12.0 VDC, may be a loose or dirty connection from battery to genset.  Be sure to check the ground side as well.

waiting for helper to get back from hairdresser.  

More info:  7.5 KW quiet diesel HDKAJ Spec "J" 2005 model.

Start motor sounds the same in the set as it does on the bench - in other words - "no load".  Genset engine is not turning when starter is engaged.  Sounds as if the start pinion gear is not engaging with the flywheel however the pinion gear was moving when bench tested leading to my suspicion that there is not enough torque to turn the engine.  Ideas???

Did you see the Bendix move when you bench tested the starter? It could be just stuck on the shaft and not being slung into the fly wheel when the starter is activated.

Just a thought.

Herman

9 hours ago, F375818 said:

Cannot find Onan start motor on inet but found a Cummings  starter that looks the same with the same part #.  Looks like it would work but hesitate to order because "electrical" parts are generally non returnable.

Welcome to the forum. Cummins is Onan.

Bill

Bill is correct..Cummins/Onan is the same and most have Kabuto engine!

DB. Welcome to our world!  Everything comes in cluster!

More info:  7.5 KW quiet diesel HDKAJ Spec "J" 2005 model.

OEM Part number for starter is 191-2200  Replacement part is close to 300.00 with tax. They do not fail very often. 

When the helper returns to help read the  starter voltage. That information would be helpful  when posted.

The attached PDF files are repair and parts lists 

Rich.

981-0200C Onan HDKAJ HDKAK (spec A-F) HDKAT (spec A-B) Genset Parts Catalog (07-2001).pdf Onan_6000_8000__Service_Manual-981-0522B.pdf

2 hours ago, manholt said:

Bill is correct..Cummins/Onan is the same and most have Kabuto engine!

Carl, The Kabuto Engines are in the 10 and 12 KW generators.

The QD, Onan Diesel engine is in the 6 to 8 KW generators.

Rich.

48 minutes ago, DickandLois said:

Carl, The Kabuto Engines are in the 10 and 12 KW generators.

The QD, Onan Diesel engine is in the 6 to 8 KW generators.

Rich.

The 7.5 QD in my  2003 Bounder was a Kabuto. 

Bill 

Rich, Where did you get that parts list? I want to see if I can get one for my model.

Nice breakdown. And the KaboatO........

David

9 hours ago, DBenoit said:

Rich, Where did you get that parts list? I want to see if I can get one for my model.

Nice breakdown. And the KaboatO........

David

Think I got lucky one day while looking for something else. Glad it looks like something you might like to have. 

Regarding the Kabota Engines. Think  There might be one for the engine used on the 10 and 12 KW units on file? Will take a look between projects. Give me a day or 2.

Rich.

Finally got back to genset problem

As Brett suggested , measured voltage @ starter when attempting to crank engine:  results = 12.6 vdc constant indicating that starter in not engaging with flywheel.

Pulled starter again & retested on bench.  Starter motor spins up, pinion gear is working as the gear is slung forward with voltage applied.  Voltage remains constant at 12.5vdc.  I think that the motor is just not developing enough torque to turn the kubota.  Although i don't like throwing parts at a problem without concrete diagnosis i ordered another starter from Cummings.  Should be here sometime next week.  Will post again when new starter is installed.  Thks to all for your help.   

Assume you have reached in and turned the motor over by hand to insure that it is not locked up (VERY rare).

Also, with the starter out, check the teeth of flywheel.

1 hour ago, wolfe10 said:

Assume you have reached in and turned the motor over by hand to insure that it is not locked up (VERY rare).

Ditto: Brett!

Rich.

3 hours ago, wolfe10 said:

If you can at least turn the engine just a little, then try starting with the starter. It has been many years since I have seen a couple of teeth missing from the flywheel, but I have seen that to happen before.

Have you tried to supply a new ground to the starter while it’s installed or checked the current ground?
A set of automotive jumper cables would suffice for a test.

When you say won’t crank, does the engine spin when you attempt to start it, what sound does it make, just a THUD?

where are you attempting to start it, at the generator or from inside the coach?

Nope, did not attempt to turn engine by hand.  Considered doing so but genset is mounted in the front cab area surrounded by insulated panels with no slide for access.  Turning the engine by hand would require complete removal of genset from the coach.  Doable but a taxing endeavor for someone in their late 70's.  Flywheel teeth that are observable with the starter out look good.

Ground (and positive) cable connections from btry compartment are clean, bright and tight both at the rear of the genset  and then again at the starter motor.

Won't crank means starter motor is turning but the kubota engine is doing nothing.  No movement, no thud, no normal or abnormal cranking noise, no nothing.

Start attempts are made using the local control on the generator control panel as well as the remote switches in the coach.  Same results using either switch.

Considered trying to wedge a screwdriver or other prying device in the flywheel teeth and trying to move it slightly but the downside (if it can go wrong, it will) of that move could go very wrong very quickly.  Also working space is very limited as i am working only within the small access space provided in the oil& fuel filter space. 

2 hours ago, F375818 said:

Considered trying to wedge a screwdriver or other prying device in the flywheel teeth and trying to move it slightly but the downside (if it can go wrong, it will) of that move could go very wrong very quickly.  Also working space is very limited as i am working only within the small access space provided in the oil& fuel filter space. 

It is great that you are cautious. Sure sounds more like the Bendix is just not kicking into the flywheel or teeth are missing from the flywheel. I looked up your starter and it looks as though the solenoid is made on top of the starter. Please let us know if this is true, or the Bendix  is it only activated by spinning the starter.