Sign in to follow this  
brianreed

Inverter Charger Upgrade & Aquahot Leak

I wanted to share my most recent journey in what to do to upgrade my inverter charger. This may be a little long so bear with me.

I have a 2006 Newmar Mountain Air 4304 which we love.  It has the original inverter a Magnum ME-2012 which is a modified sinewave inverter.  We recently had a  LED TV and a Samsung refrigerator go out while travelling.  I am not 100% sure but think it is a result of power issues with my inverter.  Last year while in Quartzsite I had issues where I kept getting AC overload faults and believe the inverter was damaged as switching between inverter and generator power would cause the fault.  I was able to replace the Samsung residential  refrigerator under full warranty so I want to make sure it does not happen again.  

Like I said I have the Magnum Energy ME-2012 inverter, with the remote, and the auto start generator module.  I wanted to keep all these same functions and also add a newer monitor with an app on my pohone to see the latest information.

I started my research with three options:

1.  Get the latest Victron unit, with the new touch screen remote, and the bluetooth BMK.

2. Get the Xantrex freedom SW 3012, with new remote, and the Conext Combox for xantrex app for full system monitor

3. Get the newer Magnum MSH-3012 unit just do a software upgrade with my existing remote and AGS.

There are advantages to all the systems, but ultimately decided to get the xantrex Freedom SW 3012, with the new remote, and the new Conext combox for system monitoring.  I decided against the Victron because the inverter dimensions are so different and not sure how I was going to mount it.  I believe the Victon was the least expensive and had a ton of features.  I liked the idea of just getting the new Magnum hybrid as it was a direct replacement and I think all my current stuff would work, although may require a software upgrade. However the Magnum was the most expensive and did not offer the system monitor without adding even more costs.  I was able to get all the newest Xantrex stuff and upgrade the ipad monitoring app for the same price as the new magnum inverter alone.  I also decided to go with the 3000 watt as I have that residential refrigerator.  That will require some wiring to be upgraded, but well worth the work and expense in my book.

Just wanted to share my latest RV journey.   I will share everything with the group once it is all in a operating.

I have two other big projects before summer.

1.  My DOmetic roof top AC Heatpump stopped cooling and heating a few months ago, I ordered the new unit and will get it installed soon.

2. This was the biggest thing, my Aquahot has gone out.  The Diesel burner on the unit has a cracked heat exchanger and caused all the antifreeze to run out the exhaust pipe over the winter.  I did a ton of research and called John Carillo at Heat My RV dot com.  I am going to send him my unit and they will do a factory rebuild where they replace everything inside, he says 90% new.  The cost is $6,000 for that service and another $1,500 to pull it out and reinstall at my local dealer.  OUCH, but I have to do it.  There is no cheaper option other than rolling the dice with a used unit which I do not want to risk.

I will let everyone know how things turn out.  Good thing I am not full time in my RV.

1 hour ago, Brianreed said:

This was the biggest thing, my Aquahot has gone out.  The Diesel burner on the unit has a cracked heat exchanger and caused all the antifreeze to run out the exhaust pipe over the winter. 

Do you have any idea why it cracked?

Brian, I installed the same Xantrex  unit 3 years ago and it has been a good upgrade. The only difference is no combox. I try to keep things as simple as possible .

The batteries where relativity new. I will add 4 new batteries with a higher AH ratting with the same footprint. When I do that I will increase the size of the DC supply fuse only because the load requirement will tend to increase over time, but maybe not the way technology is going. I have room and some thoughts about changing from 30 amp to 50 amp service,as the next upgrade.

Regarding the inverter portion it transfers so fast and the power is clean enough to run a top of the line sewing machine, For the traveling quilter. I just fix things and she creates art. 

At a rally a few years ago the shore power dropped out and she was merrily sowing along. Did not know the power had dropped out. 

Rich. 

Brian, If you haven't change your AquaHot yet talk to John about the Propane Unit. From all I have heard it is a really good unit that doesn't require the annual maintenance. If ours was to go out as your did, that is the way i would go. If I remember, when I spoke to John, it was in the same ballpark as he quoted for the reman.

We also have the Samsung residential unit and we love it. Now the only thing we use our propane for is our three burner range. We have had our coach for going on 13 years and I have only bought propane twice.

Herman

15 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Do you have any idea why it cracked?

I believe that the it was already starting to corrode which formed a slight leak and then the anitfreeze level for the heaters dropped a bit and over heated.  The heat exchanger cracked and it ran all out.