huffypuff

FMCA Rallies

Question

Our July FMCA NW area rally was canceled.  I check and found FMCA rallies canceled up the September 2020.  Is this the end of FMCA rallies for this year?  

A message from FMCA President Jon Walker

I am sorry to announce that on Friday, March 20, 2020, FMCA’s Board of Directors voted to cancel the association’s 102nd International Convention & RV Expo, scheduled for August 26-29, 2020, at the Lancaster Event Center in Lincoln, Nebraska.

With so much uncertainty surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic in North America – in particular, how long it might last -- FMCA’s leadership made the complex and agonizing decision to cancel this event. For the health of our members and the association, it was the most sensible and appropriate thing to do.

Hopefully this pandemic will be under control by next spring and we can gather for our next convention scheduled for March 10-13, 2021, at the Georgia National Fairgrounds in Perry. Until then, please follow the recommendations issued by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to help stop the spread of COVID-19. And travel safely.

With all due respect for the EB and our President...I personally think they could have waited another 40/60 days in regards to the 102nd convention! 

The odds are in favor of eradicating most of the Coronavirus by then!  Like SAREs and the others, it will probably never go away entirely, but rather become dormant for an undetermined period.

They, the Dr's and Scientists, already know that Hot, Dry weather will kill the virus and Cold weather will make it Dormant.

The investment of capital to prepare for a convention is considerable as indicated by the loss projected for Tucson. The commitments required and time line necessary to secure the resources required to provide a quality convention cannot be done with 40/60 days additional delay. The very low figures of registration indicates that the action of the Executive Board was more than justified and a prudent business decision. 

There are a few things in life that are certain, Death, Taxes and the fact that both FMCA's Tucson and Lincoln Conventions have been canceled.

SO, what all of us can do now is buckle down and help FMCA make the Perry 2021 101, 102 or will it be 103, whichever, the COMEBACK International Convention and RV Expo the best ever. WE CAN DO IT!     :)

Herman

I think you will find that all Area rallies through the end of the year will be canceled. They just can not afford high losses either. 

My biggest irk right now is, why where all of us who paid in good faith, not given the opportunity of choice, a certificate or a refund.   At 77, there is no guarantee that I will be around to use the certificate or want to!  Do I wish for FMCA to make $$$ on my money? No!  I want to make the 10% interest. 

Social media sites are going nuts on the way FMCA canceled the rallies. Many are saying they will not renew but even worse many are saying they are new to rving and had thought about joining and this will negate that thought. 

Maybe FMCA is operating on the penny wise pound foolish concept. FMCA is in a lose lose situation unfortunately. 

How about if we are going to do a "hindsight review" we cover how they should have done it better= constructive suggestions.

Let's all keep in mind that this is a "first time ever for this kind of challenge"-- not just for FMCA, not just the venue (Tucson in the case of this spring's Convention), not just for the U.S., but for the world.  There is no "play book"  for this.

I would love to hear from anyone who even 6 months ago says they have a plan in place to address this kind of issue.

I agree, there is no "let's make everyone happy" solution. 

And, as Ross suggested, Conventions and larger rallies are extremely complex to turn off/on without significant financial and logistical penalties.

If events were not cancelled, would FMCA find themselves criticized for NOT following social distancing, knowing that a large number of attendees are classified as "at risk"?

Additionally, it would be very difficult to issue refunds for Tucson, since the funds for registrations received have been spent as indicated in our President’s message to the membership. Lincoln on the other hand is different, because minimal (compared to Tucson) funds have been spent; therefore, refunds are being made. 

Chapters are prudently working on canceling their rally schedule. Possibly, August, September and October rallies may be viable. August might not work, but it is a lot easier to schedule a rally for 20-40 attendees than a national convention. 

What could FMCA done differently? If FMCA had followed some airlines and travel reservations where nothing or 20-25% refunds were made, I think FMCA has been fair. We were registered for both conventions. One voucher and one refund. I probably will use the voucher for Gillette in 2021. 

4 hours ago, manholt said:

...No!  I want to make the 10% interest. 

Where are you getting 10% interest? Finding that out would make all the rest of this less important.

I was looking forward to Lincoln rally as it meet me halfway.  I can't justify going 6,000 miles round trip to Gillette for a 3-5 day rally.  

34 minutes ago, huffypuff said:

I was looking forward to Lincoln rally as it meet me halfway.  I can't justify going 6,000 miles round trip to Gillette for a 3-5 day rally.  

Puff, I would understand the 6,000 mile round trip if you were talking about going to Perry Georgia next March (approx 2,800 miles) but Gillette Wy next July is only approx 1,100 miles.6,000 miles might be ok if you were going to Gillette by way of Perry.:o:rolleyes:

Herman 

Richard.  Your not going to find that answer from me!  Suggest you speak to a Licensed Professional.

Ross.  As a past ND, I know where the rubber hits the road.  As to a tax free Foundation, anybody can learn about the IRS guide lines on the web and you don't have to be a CPA to understand it.  

Brett. Agree for 90%!  The other 10% is Tucson, when the world is starting to go into Lock Down mode and several States in the US doing the same, the market is doing a nose dive. I ask myself, why in Gods name is the leaders off FMCA thinking  that it's business as usual?  Now, that the damage is done, I'm suppose to forgive and forget and say, "Sure I know it's a hardship, so off course you can keep my money!"   It's not the $$, it's the principle of how it was handled.  That's the point.

Just received a post from South Central Area.  The Six State Rally in Shawnee, OK has been cancelled.  

Herman.  I saw it but figured he was as rattled as everyone else.  I forgive his "brain sputter", as a lot has happened to him in the past 4 months!  We all have them! :rolleyes::P

8 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

There are a few things in life that are certain, Death, Taxes and the fact that both FMCA's Tucson and Lincoln Conventions have been canceled.

SO, what all of us can do now is buckle down and help FMCA make the Perry 2021 101, 102 or will it be 103, whichever, the COMEBACK International Convention and RV Expo the best ever. WE CAN DO IT!     :)

Herman

OK Gillette Wy would be fine but when is it coming in 2021?  

On 3/25/2020 at 11:07 AM, wolfe10 said:

If events were not cancelled, would FMCA find themselves criticized for NOT following social distancing, knowing that a large number of attendees are classified as "at risk"?

If I recall, FMCA WAS being criticized about a week or so ago, before they cancelled the Tucson event...

What is FMCA do when 1,000 to 1,500 people show up at Perry with Certificate in hand?  There won't be the cash flow to put on the rally or they will have to limit the number of people that can use certificates.