craigc51

Cummins 5.9 number five cylinder scored

I been just told that I need a rebuilt engine (2003 Cummins 5.9 L). The coach is a 2004 Damon ultra sport with 49,000 miles on it. I had an appraised at $25,000 since the economy is bad right now but don’t know what to do .is it worth replacing the engine  or scrapping it or just letting it sit any ideas out there?

Check to see if there are those who can bore and insert a cylinder liner while still in the chassis. Part of this depends on overhead clearance, part on how deep to scoring is.

They’re not willing to do that . It’s at a Freightliner dealership right now and they said the only way that I can fix it is to put a remanufactured motor back in it from Cummins and I’ve checked here out here in Oregon I can’t find anybody else to work on it

6 minutes ago, craigc51 said:

I been just told that I need a rebuilt engine (2003 Cummings 5.9 L). The coach is a 2004 Damon ultra sport with 49,000 miles on it. I had an appraised at $25,000 since the economy is bad right now but don’t know what to do .is it worth replacing the engine  or scrapping it or just letting it sit any ideas out there

The 5.9 engine is one tough engine. It is not a sleeved engine . So Brett's thought is valid from my point of view.

Not knowing the maintenance history make this a tough call. Near 120,000 miles on our 5.9 and still running strong.  

Regarding the Scoring. Was it caused by a ring failure and could one have it honed and new parts in the hole? 

So few miles, the bore wear should be minimal.

I'm thinking Brett might say something Ain't right!

Rich.

I’m working with Freightliner right now trying to maybe replace it with a jasper long block . only two places here in Oregon that I can find He didn’t tell me how deep the scored was on the number five wholesale I really don’t know but I don’t understand why I can’t be home in doubt like in a regular car engine I’ve done that before and put oversize pistons back in but then again I’m not a diesel expert

Call around to other HD truck service facilities and ask if there is anyone who does in-chassis boring/inserting.

I know that some dealerships DO know and use such services.  I was at Mustang Caterpillar in Houston when an outside contractor came in and did that to a Caterpillar 3126.

As an alternate, find out the name of a/the company that makes the boring machine and ask them if there are any in your area.

This isn't (or at least should not be) rocket science.

Craigc51,

Colaws in Cartridge Missouri has a 2000 Cummins 5.9 ISB engine and can ship it to Oregon. Cost $4,500.00 plus tax and freight.

877-548-2125.  

Might be worth a phone call.

Herman

5.9 is a very common engine in older school busses, there are lots of these around very cheap. Most school systems keep them in excellent condition.

45 minutes ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

I had always planned to go back with a 6.7 if I had to replace my 5.9.

Bill

Not a bad plan, however changing to a different displacement may involve a lot of parts and ECMs that aren't compatible from one to the other.

But what the hay thats not a worry for you now. :rolleyes:

Herman

The difference is so small 5.9, 4.02 bore X 4.72 stroke versus 6.7,  4.21bore x 4.88  stroke.

You know herman, I can get the OP a good running 5.9 already installed and tested for $30,000 and will throw in a whole coach ready to roll and a full tank of diesel and propane.B)

Bill

18 hours ago, craigc51 said:

They’re not willing to do that . It’s at a Freightliner dealership right now and they said the only way that I can fix it is to put a remanufactured motor back in it from Cummins and I’ve checked here out here in Oregon I can’t find anybody else to work on it

have you tried these folks;

http://sourcerv.com/