AndyK

1976 Apollo 2600 RB

Hello,

I am new here. I also just got a 1976 Apollo 2600 RB motorhome. I have a starting problem after a month of driving. Maybe you guys can help me out. As I was driving, going around a corner I felt the engine rpm slowing down and it stalled. I started it again and made I a few more feet before it died. I replaced the battery, checked all the connections, I have spark and gas. I was wondering if there is a starter relay or any other component that could have failed. Thank you very much in advance!

AndyK

30 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Hello,

I am new here. I also just got a 1976 Apollo 2600 RB motorhome. I have a starting problem after a month of driving. Maybe you guys can help me out. As I was driving, going around a corner I felt the engine rpm slowing down and it stalled. I started it again and made I a few more feet before it died. I replaced the battery, checked all the connections, I have spark and gas. I was wondering if there is a starter relay or any other component that could have failed. Thank you very much in advance!

AndyK

Welcome to the FMCA Forum!

Andy, You offered the make and year of your coach could you post the  chassis information the coach is built on?

Rich. 

Brett, Looks like a Dodge 440 around 1976.

cranks over fuel pressure?

Fuel filter, Carburetor Float issues.

What happens when some starter fluid  is added?

May have  some dirt or rust in the tank.

Looks like this stile carburetor.

https://guaranteedcarburetors.com/X4-254_p_219.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwyPbzBRDsARIsAFh15JZJKdHOpVuSQfwno_954WcSYXGfeXBM4mGvyfuKrl6arcrNzUZwH5waAoENEALw_wcB

Also, allot of rubber deterioration. 

This information might still be available.

If you haven't found the manual(s)that you are looking for, you might try www.autobooksbishko.com. These folks specialize in 1970s vintage manuals for Dodge motorhomes. If what you really want is intended to be used for repairing or maintaining the automotive portion of the RV, you need to ask them for a chassis manual. I have a 32' 1979 Holiday Rambler Imperial 5000 that is on a Dodge M-600 chassis. Power is supplied by the 440-3 engine with the gearing provided by the A-727 Loadflite automatic transmission. I purchased a chassis manual from them (about $60.00) and it is worth every penny I spent. The wiring diagrams alone are worth the price if you have to get into the automotive wiring. The one thing I haven't found anywhere, is a wiring diagram for the coach itself. Bishko's web-site has been redone, but it used to indicate that they also had some "Owner Manuals" that would possibly cover some of the third party components installed in the interior. If you would rather talk to someone instead of going to the web-site, the number is 1-800-544-3312.

Rich.

Thank you! I have fuel pressure and everything else. Enough fuel is getting into the carburator. I mean I have a spark and fuel and it cranks. Relay? Hidden shut off switch for something?

Been a really long time since I worked on the Chrysler 440, but I recall a problem with faulty ?ballast resistor? for the ignition system. Recall it being mounted on the firewall in many applications.

Maybe that will spark (yes, pun) someone's memory.

Brett, I remember that ballast resistor but not much more. my 1976 Allegro on Dodge chassis had one. I got lucky, a wire broke at the terminal, repaired that alongside the highway.That was around 1984/5.

I do not recall exactly, follow the 12V hot wire coming on the coil backwards to the ballast resistor.  This video may explain better than me.

The function of the ballast resistor is fully-explained here: https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/symptoms-of-a-bad-or-failing-ballast-resistor

To see what the resistor may look like, type in Dodge ballast resistor on a search engine the click on pictures in the header. They used several different designs.

IF you are stuck alongside the road you may temporarily get going again by bypassing the resistor. The result will be burned points and perhaps ruined condenser though.

A review of the issue and when it started.

Filled up with fuel -was working fine.

Turned a corner and the engine died. Then run for a short time.

Mentioned having a spark.

Fuel in the system?

No answer as to if starting fluid sprayed into the carburetor. Will case the engine to fire . One does not need much - to much and ii can be a fire hazard. This is a case of a little goes a long ways.

Rich.

Yes, fuel in the system. It injects properly. I just checked the voltage on the coil and it shows 3 volts when ignition is on. My volt meter is probably of by a volt or two, but that's not enough. I am looking for the resistor right now and I think I found it. More to come. Thank you!!

When cranking, the ballast resistor is bypassed.  The coil does get its power from/through the ballast resistor once the starter is not operating.

2 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Awesome thank you!

To little spark could point to a failed ignition coil or just a bad connection. The high voltage required for a good spark will knock one on the ground.

One can test them by connecting a positive voltage to one of the coil studs clamp the coil,( Do Not advise holding it in your hand) use the center spark plug  wire  to cause a spark to ground, but insulate your self from the plug wire. Plastic handled tool taped to the ignition wire. Then have a helper tap the wire connected to the second terminal and you should get a very good sized ark between the  plug wire and ground.

WORK VERY Carefully, stand on dry ground with a good pair of rubber soled shoe's. This is not a game - it is an unforgettable  experience if you are not well isolated ! 

Tried that when I was 12 years old. One was enough for me.

Rich.

6 minutes ago, hermanmullins said:

Does anyone remember if the 1976 440 have an iginition module in the distributor? 

Herman

When an ECM system was used it was not required. The ECM was adjusting the Dwell. On the systems with points a vacuum advance system was used.

Now, one has to remember that was many years ago. so regarding that issue, there is more dust between the ears gray matter!  LOL

Rich.

Thank for the continued input, I really appreciate it!! I changed the resistor and still the same. I have a good spark from the coil, which totally confuses me. Carburator smells like gas when I crank a few times. Is it possible for the carburator to get too much gas? And I think (see pictures above) I have a regulator in the fuel line too. That maybe broken and supplies too much gas? But it would at least try to come on when I crank.

Andy, at this point the engine could be flooded. Let it set for like 5 to 10 min. Then try again. What is the temperature where you are at the time?

Regarding the resistor and the way the engine quit. Knowing how, kind of took the resistor out of the equation for me.

Do You have any starter spray? A quick 2 shots and cranking the engine to see if if fires would eliminate a number of things.

Rich.