AndyK

1976 Apollo 2600 RB

Could be the gas your are seeing is only from what is in the bowl? It may be showing up with the accelerator  pump but not enough fuel to run. That could mean the fuel line is stopped up some where.

I never saw where the starter fluid was tried.

Herman

1 minute ago, hermanmullins said:

Could be the gas your are seeing is only from what is in the bowl? It may be showing up with the accelerator  pump but not enough fuel to run. That could mean the fuel line is stopped up some where.

Herman

OR, a fuel line may be cracked and sucking in AIR.

Run a supply line from a gas can and see if it will run.

Hello, I had it sit for hours before starting it again. I am in California and it is warm here today. The fuel regulator was leaking so I fixed the hoses and tightened the screws on it. I don't apply any throttle to it and it still smells like a lot of gas after only 2-3 cranks. Even though it getting too much gas, it should still attempt to stutter a bit but nothing. 

LOTS of reasons:

Cracked fuel in= no fuel.

Ignition issue-- no spark= no go.

The GOOD news is that with a sound engine, there aren't that many things that would cause a "no run".

2 hours ago, RayIN said:

IF you are stuck alongside the road you may temporarily get going again by bypassing the resistor. The result will be burned points and perhaps ruined condenser though.

Those ballast/resistors were there because the coil that was being used was a six volt coil, too many were still in the supply chain and were still being put there in certain applications to get rid of them. Does the system still use points? Probably does, if so check the rotary button, make sure that it doesn't have a damaged contact point at the end, and have someone try to crank at night with you looking at the distributor cap watching for tale tale signs of arching. One could have faulty broken plug wires on those old guys, or even cracked spark plugs. If spraying a little shot of starting fluid directly into the carburetor, does it crank then go dead? Have you taken a spark plug out and checked for excess gas (fuel) on the plug, if yes then you may have a flooded condition and it sure wont run in this condition. If flooded, then suspect a stuck float in the carburetor. PM me and I will give you my cell #. Rich is excellent with these type problems, don't be afraid to reach out for one on one advise.

Back in the day, Dodge had an issue with the Thermal Quad's main body (made out of plastic) cracking in the bottom corner and allowing an excess of fuel puddling on the floor of the intake manifold (flooding). A local racer's shop should be able to order a new main body. I don't remember if the 440 was ever shipped with a Holley fuel pressure regulator. If someone has installed an electric fuel pump, a regulator is required to lower the pressure to not more than 6.5 psi. You can pull the vacumn hose off the pressure regulator and if gas comes out of the hose, it's defective. Please be careful, it's a fire hazard. There are a lot of reasons one would install a after market fuel pump. The main reason would be, fuel starvation while pulling grades or pulling heavy loads. I hope this helps a little. 

Andy, some of those engines back then had fiber gears at the bottom of the distributer and were prone to get damaged causing the engine to not crank also.

Lots of good advice. When you pull a spark plug out to see if it is wet with gas clean it and hold it against a ground and see if it sparks when you crank it. Doing a good basic tune up would go a long way to eliminating problems. Plugs, wires, cap and rotor.

Does it still have points? I think the last year was 1972. When you set the timing I would run at least 10* before TDC.

You all so have a project ahead of you replacing all the hoses in there.

Bill

Thank you so much guys! I quit for today and will continue tomorrow. This engine does have an upgrade under the distributor cap. It has magnetic a point system. Nice. When I turn the ignition key and it turns a couple times, I can see the fuel on top of the carburator. I think that's where the problem lies, flooding! Like I said, I will continue tomorrow and wish guy guys a pleasant evening! Thank you very much!

Andy

5 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

Does anyone remember if the 1976 440 have an iginition module in the distributor? 

Herman

Ignition module is on firewall

Holley also makes a fuel injection unit that is easy to install. The pressure regulator and control module and throttle position sensor are all internal in the unit itself. It's like replacing the carb. I think you might have to install an O2 sensor in the exhaust down pipe. All the parts come in the kit. It's a better option than with another carb. that your just going to have problems with again. Just a thought.

Before you blame the carb, spray choke cleaner into the carb and see if it barks when you crank it.  Old School.  

I'm trying hard to remember the 440 Dodge/chassis...that's all I had on 4 coaches.  I had a 1981 Apollo 3000, 454 & a 1983, 3300 diesel, CAT 3208, Oshkosh chassis.  I'm going to bed.

Puff, you got my memory back, sticking choke was my biggest problem with the 440.  The other was the manifold gasket, no relation to OP's problem. 

Andy.  How big is your tank and are you using any ethanol fuel?  

38 minutes ago, manholt said:

The other was the manifold gasket, no relation to OP's problem.

Carl, manifold gasket leaking could cause OP's problem!:ph34r: Depends on how bad the leak is.

6 hours ago, manholt said:

Puff, you got my memory back, sticking choke was my biggest problem with the 440.  The other was the manifold gasket, no relation to OP's problem. 

Andy.  How big is your tank and are you using any ethanol fuel?  

No ethanol and the tank is 40 gallons.

Good morning gentlemen! Yesterday when I took one spark plugs out to see if there is a spark, I didn't see anything unusual, just the spark. This morning I disconnected the fuel line to let the carburator run dry, I sprayed carb cleaner in the carburator and cranked the engine. Nothing. I got outside took another spark plugs out and it was like summer at Niagara Falls!!! The gasoline just poured out of that cylinder! So I am of to buy new plugs and will return later. Thank you.

Could be a stuck or sunk float in the carb.

Pull all the spark plugs.  Turn the engine over to get rid of the gas in the cylinders.

Once running, be sure to check the oil for gasoline dilution-- change oil if it smells like gasoline.

Andy. I'm leaning more and more towards the the carburetor Float and needle valve being the primary source of your issue. 

Complete the task offered by Brett!

While you are out - if you do not have a can of car cleaner, pick one up. 

On most carburetors there is a vent hole in the center of the carb. right next to the threaded rod used to secure the air cleaner. One can spray some cleaner into the hole and let it set for an Hr. or so. If the is dirt or varnish clogging things up, the cleaner should make changes in the fuel flow rate. Might not totally clear up the issue, but very often things change enough to make a sizable difference.

Rich.

3 hours ago, DickandLois said:

Andy. I'm leaning more and more towards the the carburetor Float and needle valve being the primary source of your issue. 

Complete the task offered by Brett!

While you are out - if you do not have a can of car cleaner, pick one up. 

On most carburetors there is a vent hole in the center of the carb. right next to the threaded rod used to secure the air cleaner. One can spray some cleaner into the hole and let it set for an Hr. or so. If the is dirt or varnish clogging things up, the cleaner should make changes in the fuel flow rate. Might not totally clear up the issue, but very often things change enough to make a sizable difference.

Rich.

Good morning gentlemen! Yesterday when I took one spark plugs out to see if there is a spark, I didn't see anything unusual, just the spark. This morning I disconnected the fuel line to let the carburator run dry, I sprayed carb cleaner in the carburator and cranked the engine. Nothing. I got outside took another spark plugs out and it was like summer at Niagara Falls!!! The gasoline just poured out of that cylinder! So I am of to buy new plugs and will return later. Thank you.

DickandLouis thank you for the tip! I got new spark plugs and new wires. I got all the spark plugs out and cranked the engine a few times to get the rest of the gasoline out. Seems like only one cylinder was heavily flooded. Next I will install the spark plugs and spray cleaner in that hole. I will let it sit for a while like you suggested, maybe even till tomorrow. I'm getting tired of this haha. Thank you.