AndyK

1976 Apollo 2600 RB

Before you install the new plugs, check and see what the fuel pressure is coming out of regulator. If it is more than 6.5psi replace the regulator. If the pressure is correct, then it could be a crack in the main body (plastic) and need to be replaced. Don.t ruin the new plugs, check the carb. and fuel pressure first.

On 3/27/2020 at 3:27 PM, kaypsmith said:

Those ballast/resistors were there because the coil that was being used was a six volt coil, too many were still in the supply chain and were still being put there in certain applications to get rid of them. Does the system still use points? Probably does, if so check the rotary button, make sure that it doesn't have a damaged contact point at the end, and have someone try to crank at night with you looking at the distributor cap watching for tale tale signs of arching. One could have faulty broken plug wires on those old guys, or even cracked spark plugs. If spraying a little shot of starting fluid directly into the carburetor, does it crank then go dead? Have you taken a spark plug out and checked for excess gas (fuel) on the plug, if yes then you may have a flooded condition and it sure wont run in this condition. If flooded, then suspect a stuck float in the carburetor. PM me and I will give you my cell #. Rich is excellent with these type problems, don't be afraid to reach out for one on one advise.

Thank you very much for your offer. I will try the new plugs, the problem is surely in the carb since one cylinder was heavily flooded! If it fails again, I will surely give you a call!! Thank you.

5 minutes ago, f442485 said:

Before you install the new plugs, check and see what the fuel pressure is coming out of regulator. If it is more than 6.5psi replace the regulator. If the pressure is correct, then it could be a crack in the main body (plastic) and need to be replaced. Don.t ruin the new plugs, check the carb. and fuel pressure first.

I don't think I have the means to check the pressure, my equipment is limited. 😔

Andy, You can pickup an inexpensive fuel pressure gauge with some adapters to connect it to the fuel system line feeding the carburetor.   

Rebuilding carburetors can be challenging with limited tools. A new base gasket is not to bad a job. 

When we talk on the phone we can exchange more detailed information,

Rich 

3 hours ago, AndyK said:

Seems like only one cylinder was heavily flooded.

Burnt valve? Or stuck lifter? Compression test needs to happen, only one cylinder flooded, carburetor doesn't only flood one cylinder and no others. Crack in the head or intake valve is the only entrance for gasoline to only enter the cylinder. Bad carb will flood all the cylinders simultaneously, unless some puddling within the intake manifold.

If there is an Oriellys near you, you can rent a pressure tester them and get your money back when you return the test equipment.

11 hours ago, RayIN said:

Bad condenser??

I was thinking along those lines. That  and a engine that hasn't been run/maintained in a long time. One thing with it in a motorhome you can see what is going on when you crank it. You can also have some excitement if it backfires through the carb with the air cleaner off. 

Andy, recap for me. did you have spark at all the plugs? Have you installed new plugs? The outher tune up things, weirs, cap rotor condenser? Did you buy some starting fluid as was suggested? 

Just a thought, is the "wet"  you are seeing all fuel or is there some water mixed in? In your first post you said"As I was driving, going around a corner I felt the engine rpm slowing down and it stalled. I started it again and made I a few more feet before it died." Is it possible you sucked up some water out of the tank? 

Bill

19 minutes ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

I was thinking along those lines. That  and a engine that hasn't been run/maintained in a long time. One thing with it in a motorhome you can see what is going on when you crank it. You can also have some excitement if it backfires through the carb with the air cleaner off. 

Andy, recap for me. did you have spark at all the plugs? Have you installed new plugs? The outher tune up things, weirs, cap rotor condenser? Did you buy some starting fluid as was suggested? 

Just a thought, is the "wet"  you are seeing all fuel or is there some water mixed in? In your first post you said"As I was driving, going around a corner I felt the engine rpm slowing down and it stalled. I started it again and made I a few more feet before it died." Is it possible you sucked up some water out of the tank? 

Bill

I think it has electronic ignition with a module and pickup.  No computerized spark advance as vacuum control.  

http://www.fourforty.com/techstuff/ignition.html

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 1:27 PM, AndyK said:

Yes, spark i have and gas. I drove it for 1 month now and just refueled the same day it died. Weird isn't it..

Have you tested the fuel to make sure that wrong fuel, or water in the new fuel? One of my neighbors many years ago fueled up with diesel fuel, he drove to home (about 5 miles) and all was well, till he tried to restart it, he tried to blame the fuel station, but it was self service.

On 3/28/2020 at 3:33 PM, f442485 said:

I don't think I have the means to check the pressure, my equipment is limited. 😔

Gentlemen, here is the long awaited update on my situation. I made it run. I replaced the distributor cap, rotor, spark plugs and coil. I disconnected the fuel line and caught the gas from the line in a jar. I cranked the engine and sprayed carb cleaner in the carburator, like suggested above. It came right on. So now I will further investigate this chrome thing in the picture below. It says pump - carb - gage on it. It also has a vacuum hose on top. Where it says "gage" is a bolt screws in. I am wondering. Any ideas? 

For now a Huge THANK YOU to all of you! I took all the advice given, even if I wasn't replying to all of them ( I had to work a little 🙂). More to come...

Greetings

Andy

Screenshot_20200329-160508~2.png

That is a port where a pressure gauge can be installed. Makes it easier to check fuel pressure when trying to diagnosing engine performance issues.

Gentlemen, here is the long awaited update on my situation. I made it run. I replaced the distributor cap, rotor, spark plugs and coil. I disconnected the fuel line and caught the gas from the line in a jar. I cranked the engine and sprayed carb cleaner in the carburator, like suggested above. It came right on.

Good news Andy!  The silver item pictured Is used as pressure gauge measuring point also mentioned By Kay.

The new fuel and the carb cleaner. You might want to add Lucas carburetor cleaner or some Stable to the fuel tank  if the fuel is going to set in the tank for extended periods of time.

The other item to work on is the vacuum lines. They break down over time.  

Rich.

Rich...thank you so much! I was about to call you today after the last try, but it came on!!! 

Now can I add a pressure regulator to this pressure gauge chrome thing, or is it just for reading the pressure? 

Thank you again!!

Andy

7 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Thank you! This is a picture of the top...

IMG_20200327_111744.jpg

This picture. it looks like there is a vacuum line connected to the unit. Engine vacuum is created even when the engine is turning over. Definitely more when running.

. Does the bottom of the item look like this picture?

Screenshot_20200329-160508~2.png

4 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Good morning! Yes that's what the bottom of that item looks like. 

Andy

If needed that one plugged port is there to make fuel pressure readings while the engine is running.  

Rich.

Yes that one port is for pressure gauge, the whole unit is a aftermarket fuel pressure regulator and probably keeps the pressure and flow going at WOT.  That might of been added if someone installed an electric fuel pump.     

Gentlemen, everything is working fine now, thanks to your support!!!! I hooked up the fuel line and after a few cranks the engine started right up! What a relief! I am so glad I started this thread and reached out! You guys were a tremendous help and I have learned a lot, which I appreciate. I guess this concludes our little adventure and I surely hope that this thread will help others in need! If I hear of someone needing assistance, guess where I will send him...

If any of you ever need any help in regards to fitness and health (nutrition, minerals, working out, fitness equipment, vitamins or virus killers) I will be glad to help out!!

So long my friends and enjoy life at its fullest! Thank you again!!!

AndyK