golfnut49

Children on ADHD meds

We are getting ready to go on the road full time and have a 14 year old that has to take medications for ADHD. Does anyone know how we can obtain the medications while we are traveling as his present doctor will only prescribe medications when we see him each month?

Golfnut49, Welcome to the Forum.

Speak with you Dr. and tell him your situation and ask if he can give you some post dated prescription. Then you can come back to him every three of four months for a consultation Can't hurt to ask.

Herman

I don't know what insurance that you have, but you may check with them to find out if you are in a network, if so they may advise how to see a different doctor while traveling. My wife has a brother that resides in Florida about 50% of the time and with us in Alabama the other 50%, he is on Florida Medicaid and they have met our needs in getting his meds while he is here.

Get a copy of his medical record to take along on your trip. Those are his records, not the doctors. Who works for who. I look at it as who pays who. I, or insurance company, path the doctor. That being said. and since I (we) pay, the doctor works for us. I know they can "send you on your way," but don't give up.

The worse you can get for asking is a, "No." but you would be surprised at how many yeses you can get.

When traveling We pick up all RX from a large chain store. They Always have access to the records and will fill them.

If there is an issue, call your Doctor, check with you insurance carrier and they will pass on the needed information to any Apothecary / Drug store in you area. 

Cell phones with WiFi or Text capability work. NOW, there are some areas where one might need to find a secure network. Personal hot spot works quite well.

Do your homework before traveling and know your options.

Rich.

I would start with a 90 day fill at large nationwide chain like Rite Aid.  Bring the 14 year old records with you so you can stop by clinics to have other doctor fill meds order.  

Like Linda, Diabetic and a few other things, lots of daily, weekly meds that thru the Doctors & Insurance, we can get replenished in North America and any other corner of the world.  Most Doctors have a referral list & so does Hospitals & insurance!  Only place we had a delay so far, was in PA. USA. For pharmacy, she uses Wall Mart, Walgreen for USA & Canada, Baylor Scott & White for anywhere else!

17 hours ago, Golfnut49 said:

We are getting ready to go on the road full time and have a 14 year old that has to take medications for ADHD. Does anyone know how we can obtain the medications while we are traveling as his present doctor will only prescribe medications when we see him each month?

Please read the OP, doctor will not give more than a 30 day supply without a revisit TO THE DOCTOR!

It be a bit harsh but maybe they need to get another Doctor. One that will give them either 90 days or renewals for 30 days that can be filled by pharmacies that are nationwide. 

Herman 

1 hour ago, hermanmullins said:

It be a bit harsh but maybe they need to get another Doctor. One that will give them either 90 days or renewals for 30 days that can be filled by pharmacies that are nationwide. 

Herman 

Agreed, if that is possible, depending on the meds, some of them have come under such strict government control (especially opiods) that what was simple, has now become difficult. Hope the OP finds a good solution.

Ask the Dr to give you a Rx for a 90 days supply with at least 1 refill. That would get you 6 months. You can go to Walgreens, CVS, Walmart, Cosco etc anywhere. They keep a record of you in their computer system. If the Dr says no, ask him why not. He he won’t accept your request, find another Dr. I have diabetes and I am a fulltime solo RVer. I usually stay in one place for a few months. I have had to see a new Dr in my new location a couple of times but each time they renewed my Rx. Other times the pharmacy just called my Dr for a new Rx. 

Unless the OP's 14 year old, has other disorders, that are being treated, there is absolutely no medical reason, to not give the OP a six month or 1 year refill of the prescription!  IMHO there is something we don't know and the OP is reluctant to tell us...I can't blame him for that.

txtiger, I also have diabetes and have just recently learned that I can buy Walmarts brand of insulin N, R, or 70/30 across the counter with no prescription, cheaper than the copay that the insurance company mandates (oh what relief it Is). I sure hope the OP has found a good answer to his problem and gets to go full time soon.