Sign in to follow this  
wakury

Towing a 2013 Fiat 500

I own a 2016 Winnebago Tribute 27B.  I am considering purchasing a 2013 Fiat 500 with a manual transmission.  I've read where it is one of the top 5 as far as vehicles go for towing.  Due to the small size and relative inexpensive cost of purchasing a Fiat 500, I would like to purchase one.  What equipment do I need to purchase and install in order to have a safe setup and what are the different cost options?

I met a man with a 500 fiat manual tranny, he loved it for towing. Only equipment need was a base plate, tow bar, and lighting, either add on or kit to use present lights. E-trailer is a great place to order a kit from.

Kay , might I add to your list a braking system. I am sure the 500 weight more then 1,200 lbs, the maximum in some states for towing without an auxiliary brake  of some kind.

Herman

I've checked Etrailers website and the parts they recommend amount to roughly $2,500 not including installation and that takes into consideration the sale prices at Etrailer.  Is there a place as a FMCA member I can get a better discount?  Or for that fact, a member at any other organization?

Wakury,

I am assuming that you don't have a tow bar or anything else. Have you checked Ebay? You should be able to find pre-owned parts there. Lower prices and all you would need is the installation.

Another thought would be a tow dolly. You should be able to pick up one for next to nothing. Then all you would need would be a brake system and a light bar.

Herman

I've decided to tow my 2010 Cadillac SRX with all 4 wheels down.  According to my Cadillac manual and the Cadillac dealership it can be towed with all 4 wheels down.  Is there any advantage to add a circulating pump for the transmission while towing?  Also, is there any advantage to installing an Air force command braking systems as apposed to braking mechanism used on the driver side floor?

You should be able to tow without a pump if you stay under 65 mph and stop every 3 to 4 hour and run the engine for at least 5 minutes. This does several things, it lubes the transmission, it will help the battery recharge and will give you a break where you can stretch your legs and maybe walk the dog.

Herman

What Herman says I do for my 2012 and works fine. 

If you have the 2 wheel drive model its not towable 4 down.