Sign in to follow this  
txtiger

No power to LNB

I have DirecTv with a Winegard Travler dish. I have had this set up for over 3 years now. I purchased the rig in 2017. It came with the Travler already installed. The rig is a 2015 and the original owner purchased it in July of 2014 so I am guessing that the equipment is almost 6 years old. Everything worked fine in the past. I moved to a new location yesterday. The dish locked onto the satellites fine and all worked well. This morning I turned on the tv and all was well. This afternoon I turned on the tv and I got an error message from DirecTv, error code 775 saying that the receiver could not connect to the sat. I powered of the receiver and powered it back on but got the same error message. I then powered down the dish and powered the dish back on. The Winegard power box now says no power to LNB. I don’t even know what an LMB is or where it gets its power. Would appreciate any help troubleshooting this problem. Thanks in advance. 

The LNB is the eye that is mounted on the dish, if yours is an enclosed dish you cannot see it. Most of these set ups has a power adapter that plugs in near the receiver (inside your coach), it should be a 120 volt to 12 volt adapter with a large device that plugs into 120 volts within your coacj, has a very small wire that goes to another device that the coax is screwed onto. Check and make sure it has not become unplugged, or has gone bad, plug another 120 volt device (lamp) or anything that is known to work elsewhere to make sure that the circuit breaker is not blown. 

This same question was posted on the IRV2 forum and has received several responses.  The OP was advised that a  775 error means that the LNB isn't seeing voltage from the power inserter.  He needs to check to make sure the power inserter is plugged in and has a green light showing.  Then he needs to check each coax connection between the receiver and the Trav'ler.

On your Direct TV Receiver there is a little door that you push lightly on, it will open and you'll see a red button to the left off where your card fits in. Press it in, it's your power button.  If that don't do it, then remove the card and re insert.  Both will take about 15 minutes each, to re set.

As docj and I said, check the coax. look for the power insert (that AC to DC adapter) that I eluded to make sure that it is working or not.

Kay.  He's stationary, it worked several times, then why the power insert/adapter or coax?  Code 775 generally is no signal, can be a rain storm, trees, pole, etc.  effecting 1 or all 3 satellites.

It means you are having an issue with your power inserter. Check all cabling, make sure your power inserter is plugged in and is showing a green light. If the power inserter is plugged in and there is no green light showing, remove the cable going that is listed power to LNB. If the light comes back on, it means you have a short in the line. If that is the case just call DirecTV for service call..

Carl, above is not my answer, from ATT forum. 775 is a problem with no signal from the LNB, that is the device that is on the dish that collects the signal, there is a power inserter that supplies power to the LNB assembly, that is why coax (that is what collects the signal from the LNB). 771 is the error code produced that requires you to reboot the receiver, been with directv for 21 years and have seen both of them many times.

Get help with error code 771. If you see error code 771, your dish isn't communicating with the satellite. ... Severe weather may interrupt the signal between your dish and the satellite. If you're currently experiencing heavy rain, hail, or snow, wait for it to pass to see if that fixes the issue.

txtiger

Is the directv  Travler a HD unit? ?skm-3?

If so there is a problem with the feed 110v that hocks up to the power,  the ac cord because it is

just a push on connector . It vibrates off because of poor design. It will be hopefully behind the TV

in the cabinet.  I had to tape or whatever to make sure this plug can not come out. CHECK THE 110 VOLT FEED.

This has happen to my system, this runs up to dish.

Hope this thought helps.

Tim the mailman

I called Winegard and was told that a 775 error, no power to LNB, is likely the coax cable between the turret and the LNB is bad. I am handicapped and can not climb a ladder or go on my roof so I am waiting for a neighbor 2 spaces down from me in the RV campground I am in to come over and help. He said he would go on my roof and attach a new coax cable to the dish. In the meantime I did check the power cable to the receiver, unplugged it and after 30 seconds plugged it back in and still got the 775 error. Will get back on here after the cable is replaced and report. 

txtiger

When you talk to Winegard or Directv was you at the location of your setup?

Did they connect you to TECH support directv  and did he check to see if the Sat directv was able to

talk to it your receiver ?

I believe you might of been in the wrong area. The plug I made reference to is the power to the

Travler Dish, not the receiver . There is a device in  there that has a 110 volt cable that plugs into this

power source for the dish.  This is the cable to check if unplug If you have the manual it is well explain.

YOU need to contact TECH SUPPORT WINEGARD, and they are really nice people. Mine was attach to the 

cabinet .

Like always i can talk better than write HUM.

Tim the mailman

Note!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do you have a clear site to the sw sky from the dish????????????????

Trees building or something in line of site?

Edited by mailman
added info

On 3/29/2020 at 4:31 PM, txtiger said:

I moved to a new location yesterday. The dish locked onto the satellites fine and all worked well. This morning I turned on the tv and all was well. This afternoon I turned on the tv and I got an error message from DirecTv, error code 775 saying that the receiver could not connect to the sat. I powered of the receiver and powered it back on but got the same error message. I then powered down the dish and powered the dish back on. The Winegard power box now says no power to LNB. I don’t even know what an LMB is or where it gets its power. Would appreciate any help troubleshooting this problem. Thanks in advance. 

Tim, he had reception then he didn't. See above. IMHO he still needs to contact Winegard and get the right tech.

Herman

27 minutes ago, manholt said:

Kay, Sorry, my bad. Got my code mixed up

No problem, easy to do. Very hard for some people to understand the concept of an auto tracking dish, the dish has to get power from somewhere, so it is fed through the coax cable itself, the receiver does not supply power to the dish, so it uses a power inverter to the dish. Now the receiver shows that no power to the LNB, so the power inverter that we refer to is not what powers the LNB. The receiver is what does this, so no power to LNB can only refer to the coax, either disconnected or in bad condition. Often times someone may only need to unscrew the coax and reattach, both at the receiver end and at any junction (there is a junction at the power inverter) and also directly to the dish and if it goes through any type splitter. Often times the center (solid strand) of the coax will make contact with the outside of the F-connector, this causes a shorted condition and will cause the coax to fail to transfer the signals. Anyway a slight wind blowing against the coax (if at all faulty) can make the OP's condition to appear and why just removing the coax and re coupling will fix the condition temporarily. If the f connector can be identified, a new one needs to be installed in its place to help in keeping this from reoccurring. Please note the whole coax does not need to be replaced only the f-connector, a simple screw on one of these can be obtained at Walmart or any fine store that carries these type supplies, but if you can find a qualified technician that has proper tools to put on a more permanent one it would be preferred.

Well it turned out to be a easy fix. According to Winegard the Travler works independently from the DirecTv receiver. After replacing the coax cable between the turret and the LNB arm everything worked. It was just a bad coax cable. Unfortunately right after it was fixed a storm came in and I lost my signal. The storm passed by and I am now up and running. 

txtiger  

This cable you had replace to the Traveler Is one you should have made up as a spare.

I have about two of them. That is the cable that hocks up to the device with the 110 volt feed on it.

By DESIGN of the arms of the Traveler they get pinch;  the wire, because  maybe a tie back breaks.

It is so hard to live as a Handicap every one of us need a helper as I know.

Tim the Mailman

No Tim, it is just a standard coax cable. I have several of them in many lengths for parks that have cable tv. It goes between the LNB and the turret. It just screws on like any coax cable connection. No special cable is required