dball

Coronavirus/COVID-19 Updates & Alerts

Since we bought all the Shrimp that Jonson on Pier 19 had...we can't leave until morning!  

I can tell you that about 70% of the crowd is gone from Seawall and beach, what we have now is mostly older folks, some young kids and the usual pre Memorial Day traffic!

All the high dollar rice burner cars, Vettes, Lambos, Ferrari's have gone! :P

We had dinner last night at Cora’s 471 Grill just north of Castroville. I had chicken fried steak and wife had liver and onions. They removed over half the tables to spread everyone out and closed their great salad bar to help eliminate contact. Good meal and we felt very safe, you could tell the owner and staff were glad to be back and working hard to keep everyone safe.

A news alert popped up on my computer screen a while ago; even though we stopped watching TV news this got my attention; https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/05/01/coronavirus-wont-end-2-years-worse-second-wave-study-warns/3064708001/

By itself that article is IMO more media hype,  this pdf hot link is real information: https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/sites/default/files/public/downloads/cidrap-covid19-viewpoint-part1.pdf

All the doom and gloom predictions are based on models.  So far all the models have been wrong.

Are those models based "social distance"/self-quarantine practices or on something like the Swedish model-- "Herd immunity based on total exposure".

Read about their "no big deal" results: https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-05-sweden-nears-horrifying-deaths-coronavirus.html.

OR on our "social distance"/self-quarantine practices morphed to "the economy is open".

Sorry, that is the biochemistry background coming out.

3 hours ago, FIVE said:

All the doom and gloom predictions are based on models.  So far all the models have been wrong.

Models are nothing more than theories. The nature of models is that they will continually change as more facts on the ground are learned. They doesn't make them wrong - it just makes them models.

On 5/7/2020 at 5:59 PM, wolfe10 said:

Are those models based "social distance"/self-quarantine practices or on something like the Swedish model-- "Herd immunity based on total exposure".

Read about their "no big deal" results: https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-05-sweden-nears-horrifying-deaths-coronavirus.html.

OR on our "social distance"/self-quarantine practices morphed to "the economy is open".

Sorry, that is the biochemistry background coming out.

Could the Swedish plan be another way of allowing natural selection? The old and sickly go first, only the strong survive? Nope, the old and sickly are to protect themselves while health work to earn a living and keep economy alive while exercising due precautions.

So the United States is at 0.02 percent death rate, and Sweden is at 0.03 percent death rate.

I'm missing something here?

Excerpt from the link:

"Sweden's virus death rate of 291 per million inhabitants is far higher than Norway's death rate of 40 per million, Denmark's rate of 87, or Finland's rate of 45.

In the United States, which has suffered the most coronavirus deaths, the toll per million inhabitants is lower than Sweden's at 219."

So, now we are faced with an unknown food related future!  That comes as a byproduct of people being quarantined and not going out to eat, we have managed to paint our self into a corner!  

Tell people now that there will be a shortage on Pendaflex Hanging Folders and in a week you won't be able to find them anywhere. Folks today could not have survived during WW-II. :( I can remember Ration Books and I am sure several of you can to.

Herman

2 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

So the United States is at 0.02 percent death rate, and Sweden is at 0.03 percent death rate.

Sweden is reporting 2,941 deaths on 23,918 cases.  I'm not sure where you get 0.03 percent.  When I do the math I get ~12%. 

4 hours ago, docj said:

Sweden is reporting 2,941 deaths on 23,918 cases.  I'm not sure where you get 0.03 percent.  When I do the math I get ~12%. 

That appears to be Covid deaths per the total Swedish population.

I just got off reading the Corona information from the Swenska Dagbladet (Swedish daily Newspaper), they currently have 1,171 active cases in the hospital.  The highest death to active cases was last month at 1% and currently it's less than .03%!  They, like Norway, Denmark, Iceland and Finland only use proven COVID-19 cases/death's...they all are still in the normal flu season and now have entered the Allergy season..Next month it will be Summer cold's.

5 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

Tell people now that there will be a shortage on Pendaflex Hanging Folders and in a week you won't be able to find them anywhere. Folks today could not have survived during WW-II. :( I can remember Ration Books and I am sure several of you can to.

Herman

I have my ration book, mom gave it to me years ago. Now I have something to show the great-grandchildren to compare with the ones they are issued. I agree, first it was TP,  then tissues, now meat, fie folders may be next.

Ya, know, I've yet to read/hear  about someone having to wipe with a finger____. Talk about herd mentality. I do kinda wish I'd saved all that junk mail though.

17 minutes ago, RayIN said:

I have my ration book, mom gave it to me years ago. 

Pic would be cool to see.

10 hours ago, manholt said:

I just got off reading the Corona information from the Swenska Dagbladet (Swedish daily Newspaper), they currently have 1,171 active cases in the hospital.  The highest death to active cases was last month at 1% and currently it's less than .03%!  They, like Norway, Denmark, Iceland and Finland only use proven COVID-19 cases/death's...they all are still in the normal flu season and now have entered the Allergy season..Next month it will be Summer cold's.

The statistics from Sweden, like anywhere else, can be read in dozens of different ways to show dozens of different results.

It only matters or makes sense if you are using the same formula to compare one country to another. This is the first time I've heard anyone use the ratio of "death to active cases" as a comparative statistic. Doesn't seem as valuable a number as "death due to Covid as percentage of total number of Covid cases."

We all know, like polesters, you can have to numbers skewed for any result you want. I what Joe Friday wanted, "JUST THE FACTS MAM, JUST THE FACTS"

Herman

Herman, that's true!  I just wish there wasn't so many "this is the fact!"  😡

On 5/7/2020 at 7:44 PM, richard5933 said:

Models are nothing more than theories. The nature of models is that they will continually change as more facts on the ground are learned. They doesn't make them wrong - it just makes them models.

I beg to differ.  The powers that be are making predictions based solely on models/theories.  Their predictions have been totally wrong, thus the models/theories, upon which they have been making these predictions, are wrong.

14 minutes ago, FIVE said:

I beg to differ.  The powers that be are making predictions based solely on models/theories.  Their predictions have been totally wrong, thus the models/theories, upon which they have been making these predictions, are wrong.

The process of theories is to use the available knowledge and come up with what's basically a glorified educated guess. As more is learned, the theory is refined. This continues until either the theory is proven or thrown out.

Modeling is making predictions based on the working theory. It is by nature prone to error since it's based on a theory, not definitive facts.

Why are you surprised (or upset) that models based on the early theories didn't turn out to reflect accurately what happened? Did you think that they were supposed to be like a crystal ball and tell exactly what would take place? Remember, anything involving human behavior is going to require frequent changes since human behavior is not that predictable.

On 5/8/2020 at 8:36 PM, DBenoit said:

Pic would be cool to see.

Born 1942; this was my second book issued,  each page is a "stamp", when the book is gone a new one is issued. No books issued until the age of 2. I'll delete this in a few days to erase personal info from the public forums.

Picture removed today..