dball

Coronavirus/COVID-19 Updates & Alerts

6 hours ago, manholt said:

We are on Galveston Island TX., parked next to a Custom built 52' Powerhouse Coach & Custom trailer!  :blink:

I'd guess minus the trailer it cost about the same as your new King Aire.

Keeping this on topic, DW's arm is very sore today and she doesn't feel well, she's been asleep much of the day. That's about how I felt after my 2nd shot.

Edited by rayin

Ray, we hope she feels better soon!  

There is ne "keeping this on topic" under General Discussion.

I'm taking pics today of the next door behemoth!

15 hours ago, rayin said:

DW's arm is very sore today and she doesn't feel well, she's been asleep much of the day. That's about how I felt after my 2nd shot.

Keep us updated. Hopefully she snaps out of it within the next day or so. 

Edited by jleamont

14 hours ago, jleamont said:

Keep us updated. Hopefully she snaps out of it within the next day or so. 

Thanks for the concern. Tonight she is much better, the 2nd shot must have really awakened her immune system. A side note, Dr. Fauci said it appears the qualified immunity period is 6 months after the last shot according to controlled follow-up testing on a control group.

Dr. Fauci, IMHO is a con artist...cost us $458,000+ in salary!  He promised a HIV Vaccine and has yet to deliver, in 40+ years now! :ph34r:

I found out today, that you still must get a annual flu shot.  Covid vaccine does not guarantee that you won't get Covid.  Stay healthy, don't forget your mask, there's thousands of workers in the Asian countries that depend on you for a lively hood. :blink::P

Edited by manholt

13 hours ago, manholt said:

Dr. Fauci, IMHO is a con artist...cost us $458,000+ in salary!  He promised a HIV Vaccine and has yet to deliver, in 40+ years now! :ph34r:

I found out today, that you still must get a annual flu shot.  Covid vaccine does not guarantee that you won't get Covid.  Stay healthy, don't forget your mask, there's thousands of workers in the Asian countries that depend on you for a lively hood. :blink::P

You must think that all doctors and scientists are con artists too, since none of them can guarantee anything. Science is quickly evolving and changing as more and more knowledge is learned about the subject.

Needing to get a flu vaccine annually is nothing new - not sure why you're just finding out about this.

5 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

I personally would like to see this topic stay on COVID-19, Vaccines, Updates & Alerts,  and not get political or it will be a quick shut down by moderators.

FDA Update: Home Diagnostic COVID-19 Test

Point taken. Agree.

We both got the Jensen Johnson & Johnson one shot COVID at 0930 Friday.  So far we have no after affect.  Hope it stays that way!

We had our second Pfizer shot on Friday. Some soreness in the arm and fatigue yesterday, but today we're both pretty much back to normal. Glad to hear that the number of vaccinated people is growing quickly, so hopefully things can return to functionality sooner.

Interestingly, I had both Moderna shots in Jan. next Sunday I must go to hospital for a COVID-19 test, then immediately quarantine until gall bladder surgery April 9. The hospital said I could carry the virus after receiving the vaccine.

Edited by rayin

I think that they're being overly protective at the moment. The current research is showing that not only does the vaccine protect the person getting the vaccine, but also helps prevent spreading or transmitting the disease. However, it makes sense that they'd stick to the current protocol until there is more evidence of this reduced transmission. Just imagine the consequences of having just one infected person in an OR.

5 hours ago, huffypuff said:

I got both shots of Pfizer last month.  I would like to think I'm immune.  

I agree however the wife and I still mask up when we go in crowds. 

Texas was opened up by Governor Abbot, but left it up to business if they want to unforce the wearing of mask in their establishment. 

Herman  

Current data shows the Moderna 1st shot is 80% (for contracting a severe case of COVID19) effective, 2nd shot increases effectiveness to 90%. None of the vaccines are 100%. Richard is right IMO, the hospital is exercising the utmost caution.

Richard when I was in the ER the second time, one of the nurses said they are using UV light to sterilize the entire room after the initial cleaning to remove dirt and dust.

The fact is though, any test result is only accurate for that moment in time when the sample is collected.

I suspect DW has plans for my 5 day quarantine, she bought a new cordless sweeper and a stack of microfiber towels from QVC. :(

Edited by rayin

On 3/28/2021 at 10:14 PM, huffypuff said:

I got both shots of Pfizer last month.  I would like to think I'm immune.  

I'd like to think so for us as well.

One concern is how much of the virus vaccinated people are able to carry in their sinuses and respiratory system which they will then spread as they breath/cough/talk/etc. Even if a person doesn't contract the virus and become ill, it's still possible to carry it around with you. Our sinuses are perfect Petri dishes for things like virus cells, although hopefully once vaccinated a person's immune system won't allow the virus to remain there for long.

The data I've seen so far indicate that once vaccinated the transmission rate is much lower. I've not seen anything that shows the transmission rate is reduced to zero, which is likely why masks are still recommended for vaccinated people. That, plus there can still be a percentage of vaccinated people who contract the virus and become ill themselves, meaning that their viral load will be high and transmission will be easy. Since there is no way to know if you're in the 90% for whom the vaccine is effective or the 10% for whom it's not, masks are still being recommended.

3 hours ago, the "Goal Post" got moved again by CDC....Like travel restriction and POTUS is wanting all 50 States to do a mandated mask law!

I only have 5 family members left and we are very close, so when I'm told that my Aunt passed away, I wanted to go to Norway.....It was OK'd by the Norwegian Health Dept, but nixed by the CDC until I got Vaccinated.  So, we got our shots last Friday & now we still can't go per the CDC, its not vital.  

My oldest first cousin, from Sweden, has a US Green Card and has been with his kids in Oregon, 3 times already this year...No restriction!

I do not see this as political, just informative on a health issue!

Health situations are under the authority of CDC and the  medical scientists.   Travel restrictions are under the authority of the politicians.  That is where the problems arise when the two are intertwined.

Just to relate the differences in governments, Brisbane, a city of 2 million, has instituted a total lock-down for 2 weeks because 7 cases of COVID19 were detected last week. Brazil's hospital system is on the verge of complete failure  due to the number of active cases.

We haven't licked this virus yet, lets all keep pulling on the same end of the rope.

Edited by rayin

Ray, I read a report from CDC yesterday and it said that 2020 was the first time in 100 years that no one died of the Flu! :wacko:

It's worth reading this website: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2778234 Covid-19 was the third place cause of death in 2020.

A side note in death statistics , in 2017  over three times as many people died from Colon,rectal,anal Cancer than from gunshots. https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/death-index-top-50-ways-americans-die/42/

Edited by rayin

On 3/31/2021 at 6:56 AM, manholt said:

Ray, I read a report from CDC yesterday and it said that 2020 was the first time in 100 years that no one died of the Flu! :wacko:

The CARES Act provides money to hospitals for each Covid death.

Edited by five