dball

Coronavirus/COVID-19 Updates & Alerts

Masks are not to protect the person wearing the mask, it is to keep that person from spreading the virus since incubation occorus several days before any symptoms. It is as effective as sneezing in the sleeved elbow.  I think I posted a video on micro-droplets that will travel across a room. Rather gross video showing sneeze and cough. There is a difference between n95 and surgical face mask. Face masks will not stop micro-droplets, only the big stuff.

The 'N95'  blocks at least 95 percent of very small (0.3 micron) test particles. Even some micro-droplets could get through. However, any type of mask combined with social distancing is better than none at all and hugging everyone.

p.s., I found a 3 pack of n95 in the garage. It has been in the package and in the garage for many,, many years. Bought it when construction was going on inside he house - but must have used other means or left and let the workers construct without me. No, they are not for sale or give-away.

7 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

p.s., I found a 3 pack of n95 in the garage.

I found a pack of 6 opened N1105 in the garage from my bathroom remodel last April, one was removed from the pack. I was going to donate them, but they are opened. I have a drawer with an assortment of different masks. They are all old but useful or shall I say better than nothing I guess should I need to wear something. 

18 minutes ago, wayne77590 said:

All, wear something or better yet use the Walmart Pickup or other drive up places.

Wayne, Curbside works at times.  We are in Mission, TX and HEB curbside is useless.  All times open are over 2 weeks out and then they cut the order down as they are out of this or that.  HEB refuses to have senior hours like Walmart and Costco.  HEB has partnered with Favor for delivery with only a $10 tip for the shopper.  But you have very limited selection of products and the prices online to order by are outrageously high. 

We can get a quicker time by driving 100 miles one way to Kingsville, TX.  This is how HEB helps senior citizens!

NO THANKS, I'll shop at Walmart.

Ken

20 hours ago, RayIN said:

Two days ago I read a preliminary study showing a sneeze produces up to a 100 mph puff of air movement. Sensitive equipment measured traces of that puff between 23'-27' from the person who sneezed.

I am not picking on Ray, I have seen things like this several places.(It is easier to copy this) but this is the kind of junk that makes people more worried and scared than the reality of the situation. First it is all hearsay, a preliminary report from un named people with no documentation to back it up. 

Next let's think about it. Remember when you stuck soda straws up your nose as a kid or last week? What direction were they pointing? When you sneeze what motions do you go through? So how do you manage to projectile sneeze 23'-27'? 

No I don't want to be around people with the virus but staying 6' away and using reasonable precautions will go a long way. 

Bill

Bill, I tilt my head back and sneeze forward. not downward.  Yes, 27'-29' is documented, by several medical journals both in US and others!  Even on Myth Busters..LOL.

Ken, try the other HEB's in the Valley.  Your still overwhelmed by Snow Birds, got nothing to do with normal operations, COVID-19 is also, not helping! 

While I'm not recommending we panic about this or stop doing what we need to do, the concept of droplets going more than 6 feet is not junk science. Unless, of course, you consider MIT a junk science school.

Read for yourself:

Short clip...

https://www.sciencefocus.com/the-human-body/how-far-do-coughs-and-sneezes-travel/

And a longer article...

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/science/coronavirus-can-travel-up-to-8-metres-from-exhalation-linger-in-air-for-hours-mit-scientist-says/articleshow/74928356.cms

And the full article from MIT...

https://lbourouiba.mit.edu/sites/default/files/documents/14BourouibaBush-sneezecloudJFM_corrected.pdf

We tried the curbside pickup at Target. Only 60% of what we wanted was available, everything else you had to go inside and get for yourself.

I mask (PA recommendation now) and glove up to go into a public store. Yeah you can wash your hands, if you saw my cracked hands you would understand why the gloves have become critical. I am also trained how to remove them without contaminating the other hand, with lotion on under the gloves its helping to heal my hands. 

To change the discussion a bit, since I just turned the big 60 a couple of months ago, for the first time in this pandemic era I took advantage of the early "seniors only" shopping hour 7-8 a.m. this past Friday at Whole Foods in Katy, TX and then went to my local Kroger shortly after it opened at 8:00 a.m.   Since I'm typically at my desk at company HQ at those times of day, I have to say I shopping with the "older folks" was a very pleasant experience!   There were small numbers of folks at both stores and I was able to purchase anything and everything the wife put on the shopping list including paper towels and toilet paper!   Most of the folks I passed in each store were wearing face masks with some wearing gloves (I wore a nice homemade mask my daughter made -- outside layers of heavy cotton cloth with felt in the middle.).   All of the folks were patient, cordial and kept 6 feet+ distance from each other.    Check-out clerks at Whole Foods were wearing masks and gloves and were very friendly.   I used the self check-out at Kroger.

I look forward to retirement years when I can do enjoyable, early morning shopping much more often!

2 hours ago, manholt said:

Bill, I tilt my head back and sneeze forward. not downward.

If you look at FIGURE 4 and  FIGURE 5 in the study it will show what I said. Yes a cough may go out further  but a sneeze will be directed downward in direction. 

2 hours ago, richard5933 said:

the concept of droplets going more than 6 feet is not junk science. Unless, of course, you consider MIT a junk science school.

No but people are interpreting the findings into junk science.  If you actually read and understand what they are saying. The cough is the big culprit not the sneeze. 

I don't want anyone coughing or sneezing on me whether they have the virus or not.

Bill

3 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

If you look at FIGURE 4 and  FIGURE 5 in the study it will show what I said. Yes a cough may go out further  but a sneeze will be directed downward in direction. 

No but people are interpreting the findings into junk science.  If you actually read and understand what they are saying. The cough is the big culprit not the sneeze. 

I don't want anyone coughing or sneezing on me whether they have the virus or not.

Bill

I'm not sure what your point is here Bill. You said that it was junk and hearsay not supported by any documentation or studies. I bought you the studies, and you want to split hairs between sneezing and coughing.

There is no need to panic over the facts. But, having the facts allows people to make an informed decision. Knowing that there is no magic to 6 feet, and knowing that it's possible to become infected from someone who is across the room from you, allows a person to take proper precautions. It also suggests that the recommendation that everyone cover their mouth & nose when out in public to reduce the spread is reasonable.

If people want to discount the science then the whole conversation really breaks down. True - the science is constantly evolving as new things are learned. That's the nature of science. But, it sure beats just winging it with a hunch or doing what feels right.

A  fellow veteran hailed me in Kroger 2 weeks ago. He said I don't shake hands now and stuck out his elbow. I asked him is that was the elbow he sneezed/coughed into, as i backed away. Rude, probably; but I'm in the high risk group for serious complications, he'll have to get over it. My  second great-grandson is enroute, and I wanna be there this summer to welcome him to the world.

addition:, here are the latest statistics: https://www.statista.com/statistics/1101932/coronavirus-covid19-cases-and-deaths-number-us-americans/   My calculations say that is a 2.55% death rate; this is higher: https://coronavirusbellcurve.com/

Ray, the numbers suck!  You live in a county of Indiana, go by that...I go by Burnet & Live Oak County since we have a house in each and going to Live Oak tomorrow, they have 3 confirmed and 0 death. It's a work week, so we are taking the coach, Jeep, SUV & Box trailer, 183 miles non stop!

I don't bump elbow, The Vet's I have met, we salute each other and talk. No need to get rude.

Not sure if I should post this financial question to this string or start a new discussion.   Today I received the first quarter report for my IRA/Roth IRA portfolios that are outside of my company's 401k plan.   While the stock market was down 26% between January 1 and March 31, my IRA/Roth IRA accounts were "only" down 15% as my financial adviser in early January started changing portfolios for "medium risk" investors to being more heavily weighted in bonds and some cash.  Even though I'm still officially a "medium risk" investor, the IRA portfolios now look more like a "moderate conservative risk" investor would have most of the time.   

What are other forum members doing to manage their retirement or, like me, pre-retirement investments during this pandemic mess?

1 hour ago, fagnaml said:

...What are other forum members doing to manage their retirement or, like me, pre-retirement investments during this pandemic mess?

Nothing. At least not right now. I'm counting on things going up again once the world re-opens. Fortunately we have a few years left before retirement, so I'm okay with waiting and taking a "let's see" approach.

4 hours ago, fagnaml said:

Not sure if I should post this financial question to this string or start a new discussion.   Today I received the first quarter report for my IRA/Roth IRA portfolios that are outside of my company's 401k plan.   While the stock market was down 26% between January 1 and March 31, my IRA/Roth IRA accounts were "only" down 15% as my financial adviser in early January started changing portfolios for "medium risk" investors to being more heavily weighted in bonds and some cash.  Even though I'm still officially a "medium risk" investor, the IRA portfolios now look more like a "moderate conservative risk" investor would have most of the time.   

What are other forum members doing to manage their retirement or, like me, pre-retirement investments during this pandemic mess?

My IRA(mutual funds) is high-growth rated. Initially the decrease was in 5 figures  in Feb., it has regained about 1/2 of that decrease as of today. My personal prediction is 20 years(POTUS says 12-14) until a full financial recovery for the country. My kids may see that, along with my IRA.

Wildbill, I read that a couple days ago, IMO a sound decision for multiple reasons.

I spoke with my brokers yesterday.  Across the board on 3 different brokerages, I'm 70% Aggressive and 30% Conservative...I was also too heavy on the International, so I turned some over into tax free municipal mutual funds, Eagle and Infinity.  Got rid of some stock that has not moved in 2 years & pay's no dividends (my mistake for not checking on them), now in cash account with Merrill Lynch.  Other than that, I went up yesterday & today 8+%, so on paper, I'm down 41% !  Like COVID-19, it's just numbers and like Richard, I'm holding on!  It will come back up and I feel it will be by end of May!  

I'm an Optimist...😂

15 hours ago, fagnaml said:

What are other forum members doing to manage their retirement

Nothing, not going to retire :(

Joe, I know differently.  You are probably right in your assessment of retirement, you will retire from a company & you'll probably be in your own business  and work when you want to. Like Ernie!

Herman, it would not surprise me!  DW wan't to live by a warm beach...she has a tendency to get what she want's!