dball

Coronavirus/COVID-19 Updates & Alerts

3 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

In Texas?

Herman

You know when you can feel it in your bones you belong somewhere? Texas gives me that feeling, as if I was there before and I am back home now, its strange. DW wants beach or close to one. So I have to book a gulf coast trip near Galveston to see what its like since we have never been there and see whats its like. Ultimately work will dictate most of this. She found a house in Bayview TX on a river of some sort, fell in love with it and the area (via google, never been there). Time will tell I guess.  

I have lost all ambition for 2020 trips. This will be a year of monthly RV bursts to exercise the coach and move the fuel around, stop and top off the tank, add Biocide :(. All of the trips I had planned were May - June.

Covid-19 numbers are climbing here like wildfire. PA is up to 16239 as of noon today. None in my area, I suspect its here just no one is being tested. I just cannot wait for this to be over! I have cancelled all RV trips and vacations for the season except one to take our oldest for her internship around Labor Day weekend.

Should have no trouble finding waterfront places in Texas.  I started to look up "miles of shoreline in Texas", but at 3,359 miles,  they must be counting all the miles of bay front.

But the ICW (Intercoastal Waterway) from Orange to Port Isabel is 400 statute miles.  That should give you a few choices!

And, Dianne and I have done all of it at one time or another in our sailboats.

1 hour ago, jleamont said:

None in my area

Well that didn't last too long, all but 2.5 hours, now we have two confirmed cases within 5 square miles of our house. 

Joe, Bayview TX can get real, real hot in the Summer time - just saying.  You'll be like us, "Summerbirds," heading North for cooler weather June, July, August, September, Sometimes May.

On 4/7/2020 at 3:43 PM, fagnaml said:

....What are other forum members doing to manage their retirement or, like me, pre-retirement investments during this pandemic mess?...

Nothing, hold what you have.  They will be back, they always are....don't panic and sell.  You haven't lost a penny....until you sell.

Haven't seen this new posted yet for Texas.  Governor Abbott ordered all Texas State Parks to close today (April 8) and remain closed until some yet to be determined date --> https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/Texas-Governor-Greg-Abbott-is-closing-all-state-15184038.php   The 10:00 p.m. news on Houston's NBC station showed a very upset couple from Katy who were having to pack-up their fifth wheel and kids and leave Brazos Bend State Park which is located ~20 miles south of Katy.  They were definitely NOT happy campers!

I don't  understand why a "vacation home on wheels" in a state park is a higher risk than a "permanent stick type vacation home" on a cramped Galveston area beach or a cramped area along the Colorado River in the Texas Hill Country.

Mike, I agree! This has puzzled me from the beginning. In a typical campground environment you would be more spaced out than an apartment complex.

My take on the closings is that one WILL have traveled from other areas that may be infected and one WILL go to local stores to shop and WILL expose locals to potential infection.

Remember, at least in our county (Galveston) of Texas one can get an RV site, but must rent for one month-- i.e. give full timers an option, but not unduly expose others to the virus.

We got a preview of summer today, it was 97 but is supposed to cool off some tomorrow and rain and cool on the weekend. They say the virus doesn't do well in the heat. Well, shoot neither do I.

https://gov.texas.gov/news/post/governor-abbott-announces-texas-military-department-prestige-ameritech-partnership-to-increase-mask-production

Interesting that we have a Governor who is geting things done not just whining. By getting the NG to help this company with manning they have added 2 million face mask a week to the supply chain.

Currently in Texas we have 21,066 hospital beds available, 2,225 ICU beds available and 7,686 ventilators available. 

Bill

Many RV parks are honoring the present people who are in the park reservations. If two weeks, or less than 30 days in Galveston County, they have to move out, can't make reservations to stay because the parks cannot take in new reservations. This has happened in a lot of RV parks.  So where does a full timer go if they only had a two week reservations while touring around? I guess Walmart parking lot. Not many cars there now-a-days.

There are a lot of private RV Parks open in Texas and other States!  Just because your full timing don't mean your broke & if you got to "Camp" in Wall Mart, you have no business full timing...get a job!  

Out of curiosity, if anyone is traveling during this time that is NOT a full timer, what are you going to do when you arrive at your destination? 

We will be going to Cheyenne Wyoming the last of May. We hope that the traveling will be back to some semblance of norm by then. If not we will Walmart or Rest Areas to get there. We can park right in front of their home which we have done many times. There is a place we can travel a few miles to and dump.

We have a Grandson turning 18 and Graduating from High School. Since they live so far away we miss a lot but we will not miss this. We will see how thing are when it is time for us to head back. Hopefully by then we can take our time coming back home, we'll just have to wait and see.

Herman

38 minutes ago, hermanmullins said:

We have a Grandson turning 18 and Graduating from High School.

How is the school progressing with Graduation? Our youngest is also supposed to graduate this year. 

9 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

I guess Walmart parking lot. Not many cars there now-a-days.

Wayne, the ones around me look like it is the Christmas shopping season. 

Bill

We have been in Texas since January 1, Aransas Pass thru March and now Castroville. We will stay here until our home state of Michigan has settled down. We are not anxious to travel now, feel much safer in staying put.

Roland

The team of 50 project development and project services engineers I lead are all getting significant cases of cabin fever along with anxiety and some loneliness.  Most of the team members are millennials and Gen-X and a few baby boomers.  At 5:00 p.m. this evening we're trying a first ever  "virtual happy hour" using the Webex service my company has to help the team relax and enjoy some fellowship.  Everyone will have their favorite adult beverage and we'll have a "slide show" of photos of team member's temporary offices, home work companions, etc. to liven-up the happy hour (some really funny stuff like cats laying on laptops and young kids sitting in a parent's lap helping with work).   I'll let the forum know the success of a virtual happy hour.

We left Burnet yesterday, took the 5 hour drive to Three Rivers and are parked under cover, next to the barnominion, full HU, all the comforts of home. We only sleep in coach.  .  Like being at the ranch, just a little more rustic...it's a fish camp..the lake is 1.5 miles away, the coast is an hour away!   Like the Ranch we have another 50/30 amp, full HU. :P

They said it was governor and county judge? Seems to me that judges have more power over local government here in Texas. I will check around tomorrow but really liked closeness of Alsatian course.

24 minutes ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Don't they understand that liquor stores are essential businesses?

Bill

Owned by the Commonwealth, CLOSED until further notice.