Sign in to follow this  
brianreed

Install Fisher & Paykel Dishwasher

I have a 2006 Newmar Mountain Aire 4304.  We love our Coach we call her Doris and even removed the Mountain Aire logo from the front and made one that says #TravelingDoris.  I have upgraded the electrical system with modern inverter and batteries, replace a bunch of existing systems  Aquahot, A/C heatpumps, newest Splendide washer/dryer, and even have a brand new residential fridge.  That was tough because to get it in we had to pull the front windshield.  One option it did not come with from the factory is a dishwasher, which was an option.  After doing some looking around, it seems the Fisher & Paykel was the unit that would have come in Doris originally.  My question has anyone done the retrofit of the unit.  I know we would lose two large drawers below the cooktop, but honestly there is so much storage in Doris we do not even use it all.

Looking at the dishwasher unit right next to the sink it does not seem hard, but wanted to hear from anyone who has done it.  I have searched here and there has been discussion about dishwashers, but not installing one.  I have searched youtube and I cannot find one video on retrofit installing one, not even in a residence.

We plan on full timing in Doris in the coming years and want it to be as much a home as possible.

IMG_1321.jpg

I assume you know that the Fisher Paykel comes in a single-drawer model which would probably make the most sense in a MH.  

Although we have done in our 2000 Beaver many of the other remodeling ideas mentioned in your post, including bringing a fridge in through the windshield, we haven't bothered with the dishwasher because we love our walnut cabinetry and hate to part with any of our kitchen "goodies".

However, one suggestion I can offer is how to provide power to the unit.  A number of years ago I extended the circuit for the washer/dryer to provide an additional outlet in the kitchen.  That gave us an additional "cooking circuit" if, for example we wanted to run the Breville oven while the induction burner and microwave were both in use.  Since washer/dryer use can be planned there's no particular inconvenience by avoiding it during cooking hours.  The same philosophy would hold for a dishwasher I would think.

Joel (AKA docj)

Installed a Vesta instead of the FP.  My wife does like the drawer design as if you drop a spoon in at the last minute and it misses the basket, you have to unload the whole thing to get that dang spoon.  The Vesta unit is a front door with a roll out basket ....much easier to use, plus it cost less than the FP and is just a tad less deep front to back.

Ken

Thanks Joel, someone in the past put in an extra circuit to the kitchen it seems they had a larger appliance, perhaps a big coffee maker.  

Thanks Ken, I will loo at the Vesta as a comparison.

I will bet you only will lose the top drawer to the dishwasher. I looked at a MADP that had the optional  dishwasher and that stuck in my mind. We talked about adding one but haven't yet. Yes we have a lot of inside storage. B)

Bill 

Interesting.  Brian, have you talked to Newmar about it?  I know you do the reunions.  If it does not get cancelled, we will be in WY for the next one!

Bill, we do not have half the inside storage, that we had with the American Tradition!  We also, never use the dishwasher, even at the house!  The DW (Dish W), is going out as soon as we have a chance to do so and shelf with door put in!  Bay storage is overkill, even with the big, fridge/freezer box!

23 minutes ago, manholt said:

Bill, we do not have half the inside storage, that we had with the American Tradition!

Interesting, never got to look in a American Tradition but moved everything from the Bounder that had plenty of space or atleast no complaints to the MADP and have at least 3 shelves in the pantry not used yet and most of the overhead storage in the front is still empty. 

Bill

I have no complaints about the space or storage in my MADP 4304.  There is plenty of pantry space in the kitchen area. my front living area over head storage is not really used.

I get #travelingdoris back in the next week after getting that expensive Aquahot 450D replaced.  That one hurts the wallet!

3 hours ago, manholt said:

Brian, what happened to the other AH and was it a 400 or 450?

It was the original Hydrohot HHE-500 and the internal heat exchanger just corroded over time and caused all the antifreeze to run out from the exhaust pipe. This caused the unit to overheat and just cracked the heat exchanger where the entire antifreeze tank dumped in a matter of minutes even after the thermostat popped the diesel burner.  At least that is what the Aquahot dealer here in WA told me.

It is being replaced with a 400D, the HeatMyRV.com guy said it has all the exact same dimensions and attachments.  Unfortunately it is $9k is get it replaced with a factory refurbished and I have to send them my old one as a core.

To me that seems expensive, but seemed like the best option without heavy retrofit.  The old unit was from 2006 so it lasted a good long time and I was not sure what life it lived before me.  However it was a bummer that I have spent over $2k in just the last year in broken parts ( 1 pump and combustion chamber) and maintenance and now I am just replacing it.  I was a little suspect when it finally crapped out on me was 2 days after the annual service.

Brian, Have you purchase a rebuilt unit yet? If not have you looked into the Propane unit that Aquahot now has? A friend of mine has one in his new Entegra and love it and there is now annual service required.

Herman

Herman,

Sorry I did not respond earlier, I thought I had, but must have missed submitting.

I did think about that and I have a 33 gallon LP tank and only the 3 burner stove that uses it because we now have a residential fridge.  Unfortunately the costs were so high already I did not want to introduce getting the LP lines plumbed and possible other lines not lining up.  Just wanted to replace like for like.

Thanks for the suggestion, I bet it would have been nice.