gbrawley8

Recommendation for inner dually valve stem extensions

We are replacing tires and want to use the Eez tmps system on our 42 foot class A  had since 2003.  

Was thinking maybe installing long stems ( inside duals )  on our aluminum wheels like 8 in long or so.  

Or using short valves and an either flex extension or solid straight extension.    

Years ago have had extensions leak so just curious as to others experiences.?

Like some feedback from others 

Thanks 

Gerald Brawley 

IMG_3606.jpeg

IMG_3605.jpeg

IMG_3608.jpeg

gbrawley8,

Welcome to the Forum.

We had 8 new tires put on this year. I had the flexible extensions  and the dealer would not put they back on. He did install long valve stems on the inside duels, bent them a bit so they would protrude through the hole in the outside wheel. He then ordered the correct rubber grommets that fit on my particular wheel and had them mailed to my house. The inside duel stem protruded enough for any TPM you want to use. Looks good and the wheel are easier to clean without the flex lines in the way.

Again, Welcome.

Herman   

On 4/5/2020 at 4:29 PM, hermanmullins said:

gbrawley8,

Welcome to the Forum.

We had 8 new tires put on this year. I had the flexible extensions  and the dealer would not put they back on. He did install long valve stems on the inside duels, bent them a bit so they would protrude through the hole in the outside wheel. He then ordered the correct rubber grommets that fit on my particular wheel and had them mailed to my house. The inside duel stem protruded enough for any TPM you want to use. Looks good and the wheel are easier to clean without the flex lines in the way.

Again, Welcome.

Herman   

Same here.

Whatever you use for the inner dual (long metal valve stem or a hose. there are TWO things to remember.

1. When you push an air chuck or pressure gauge on the end of the stem you may be over-stressing the mount gasket between the wheel and the metal valve. This can move or "rock" the mounting and stress the gasket or even work the valve stem nut loose

2 A long stem or the outer end of the hose MUST be firmly mounted or tired down or there will be vibration or movement that can  result in the hose or stem rubbing or fatiguing.

3. With either system you need to hold and support the hose or stem as the force with the air chuck or pressure gauge can be significant

Different wheel covers allow or require different solutions. You can see my two different set-up below. Note the small "L" brackets that are riveted to the wheel cover.  About 30,000 miles with the grey plastic caps with no problems and 17,000 miles with the SS wheel covers.

SS hose extender.jpg

SS Hose extender plastic hub cap.jpg

Herman, you can't fool Carl he knows it is only flat on one side.

Seriously, look at the bottom picture. The right extension looks like it is to close to the rim and could chafe. 

Bill

The photo with the stainless cover; the left hose looks like its chaffing on the cover and whomever installed that cover didn't do it properly, the hand holes are not aligned properly with the corresponding holes on the wheel cover.  

I just installed longer valve stems for my inside dully. I got the long stems from Borg Equipment & Supply. They are near Los Angeles CA.  7317 Foothills Blvd Tujunga CA 91943 (818) 352-8717. Paid about $55 for a pair. Don’t forget to order the rubber boot that goes on the wheel and protects the stem from banging on the wheel. I think they were an extra $25. I went to a truck stop and paid $90 to have them installed. 

On 4/13/2020 at 3:10 PM, manholt said:

I'm surprised...you do not have TPM's!  How do you tell if you have a leak?

Sorry. I took the pictures without the TPM sensor installed as part of another project.