brianreed

Crown vs Interstate Battery

I have a 2006 Newmar Mountain Aire and I am in the middle of some upgrades and now I need to purchase new House batteries.  There are 4 6 volt batteries currently the Interstate have been in there since august 2014 and have needed replacing since last year.  All 4 of the current batteries are building on the sides and I have no idea the life they have lived, but I do know they discharge faster than one would think. So it is time and since I am upgrading the inverter/charger to a Xantrex Freedom SW at the same time it just makes sense. Pulling the old Magnum Energy ME2012 modified sinewave unit.  

I can get these same batteries from Costco for $89 each, the Interstate CG2 6 volts.  However reading the reviews on their site they are not rated real well, but they have lasted 6 years in my coach.  I would say 5 years is right as they should have been replaced last year, but I did not do it.

I called Pacific Power and they have Crown batteries that they recommend a US made battery and they are $219 each.

What would you all do?  Spend double on the Crown, or roll the dice on the Interstate (Exide)?

There is no better dollar value than Costco or Sams Club.  I typically get 5-6 years service from those $89.00 batteries. I doubt if you will get twice the service from batteries that are twice the price.

Richard

Have you checked AGM batteries?  Put them in and forget them and the do not put out any noxious gasses.  I replaced the AGMs in my last coach at seven years,, the current coach with AGMs still has the OEM batteries, installed in Nov 13 and going strong.  Yes, expensive but well worth it.  I have a friend with a similar coach who went from four 6v AGMs to two 12v AGM....doing fine so far.

8 hours ago, Brianreed said:

I can get these same batteries from Costco for $89 each, the Interstate CG2 6 volts. 

The key is how much boondocking are you going to be doing? I looked at replacing with Lithium Ion batteries but seldom/never need the extra capacity. The outher thing is they replaced my house batteries on my 2008  Newmar Mountain Aire  before I took my coach home. They put in Napa brand. So we will see how they last.

Something to think about you can replace the Costco ones 2 times and still be cheaper than the Crown batteries.

Are you going to replace your start batteries?

Bill

If you do little boondocking/dry camping, I would stay with the same battery brand. Have you calculated the cost per year of your present batteries yet? Compare that to AGM's. I did that and could not justify the price difference.

Thanks for all the input.  I may be right or I may be wrong here are my thoughts.

1. We rarely boondock, my wife does not like it.  I have done it for two weeks last year with a friend and loved it.  But generally it is Thousand trails and KOA.

2.  There is some weird wiring of the 4 house batteries.  I have looked at it many times but best I can see if that there are a few 6 volt items so there are some extra battery cables,.  When I get #TravelingDoris back from the Dealer I will take a picture so you can all see it.  Because of that I wanted to stay with the 6 volt.

3. The cost of lithium is enough to keep me away, but I do not think I will use that capacity anyway.

Actually, nothing in your coach works on 6 VDC.

Those 6 VDC batteries are wired in SERIES, so two in series make 12 VDC.  Just think of it as a "12 VDC battery in two pieces".

And, if four 6 VDC batteries each pair will then be wired in PARALLEL.

This is a very common battery bank configuration.

1 hour ago, wolfe10 said:

Actually, nothing in your coach works on 6 VDC.

Those 6 VDC batteries are wired in SERIES, so two in series make 12 VDC.  Just think of it as a "12 VDC battery in two pieces".

And, if four 6 VDC batteries each pair will then be wired in PARALLEL.

This is a very common battery bank configuration.

Yes that is the way it is in my coach.  I only say that the way it is wired is a bit confusing.  I will post a picture of how their are wired when I get my coach back from the deal next week.  It is currently getting the Aquahot replaced.  Cha Ching$$

Brian, I have no experience with Crown batteries. I do have experience with Interstate, up until my last house batteries that experience was NOT good. However my wet cell 6V house batteries I had were  around 7 years old when I upgraded them to Deka AGM's. I upgraded figuring I was on borrowed time but they still worked perfectly. 

Bill, I had NAPA AGM in my last coach...no complaints!  My current Newmar has Lifeline, house and start.  Never had them in a coach before, but have used them in the power boats and in one Cat Lagons 38'...never had an issue! All AGM's.

We also can't justify the cost of Lithium, since we don't boondock.