mypopslou

TCS vs TSD Fuel Discount Card

I have heard a lot about the deep discounts on diesel fuel with these discount cards. The TCS card through FMCA seems to be about $.30 per gallon but I have heard that the TSD Card could be much more.

Anyone have an opinion or preference on which card or both to have in my wallet.

Let me know your thoughts

57 minutes ago, Mypopslou said:

I have heard a lot about the deep discounts on diesel fuel with these discount cards. The TCS card through FMCA seems to be about $.30 per gallon but I have heard that the TSD Card could be much more.

Anyone have an opinion or preference on which card or both to have in my wallet.

Let me know your thoughts

I have a big problem with their signup page when they want your SSN, bank account and routing number.  

52 minutes ago, huffypuff said:

I have a big problem with their signup page when they want your SSN, bank account and routing number.  

If you any doing any electronic banking you are disclosing your bank account and routing number.  I used TDS card exclusively when traveling from WA to CA and return this winter,  Purchases 362 gal and saved $28, average was $2,72. price range $1.99 to $3.22 per gal.  Todays prices are $1.42  to $2.82.  I check GasBuddy for prices for surrounding locations that I purchased fuel and only found on e location that was less that I paid and the difference was only  $.01 per gal.

I sure likes the convenience of using the truck stops, easy in, easy out.  Also found the truckers extremely friendly

48 minutes ago, F433921 said:

If you any doing any electronic banking you are disclosing your bank account and routing number.  I used TDS card exclusively when traveling from WA to CA and return this winter,  Purchases 362 gal and saved $28, average was $2,72. price range $1.99 to $3.22 per gal.  Todays prices are $1.42  to $2.82.  I check GasBuddy for prices for surrounding locations that I purchased fuel and only found on e location that was less that I paid and the difference was only  $.01 per gal.

I sure likes the convenience of using the truck stops, easy in, easy out.  Also found the truckers extremely friendly

Yes, I do electronic banking bill paying through my bank only.  Why does TSD want your full SSN? 

47 minutes ago, huffypuff said:

Yes, I do electronic banking bill paying through my bank only.  Why does TSD want your full SSN? 

I believe that TSD answered that question on their FaceBook page, can't remember . You do not provide your SS number  or Bank info on the application. They will contact you once they have your application to get that information.

Jim

I set up a separate free checking bank account strictly for the fuel card,,,TSD/ESF.  Opened it with $1,500,  and last month added another $1,000.

Back to the OP's question about TCS vs TSD...

I've got both. Hands down, the TSD card is the winner. A few reasons:

• Both TSD and TCS cards are for use on diesel pumps.
  • TSD has better discounts.
  • TSD is fully automated once set up. They do a nightly reconciliation and do one pull from your account to cover the transactions for that day.
  • TSD is much easier to get set up.
  • TCS does offer discounts in a few brands that TSD doesn't
  • TCS is a pre-paid cash card. You have to have money on deposit to use the card.
  • TCS has a difficult system for loading the card, with the free options taking at least a day or two.

I did get the TCS card, despite its shortcomings, so that I have an additional payment method if needed. I put a few hundred dollars on the card, and it just sits there for now ready if I need it. We use the TSD card as often as possible.

If you get the TSD, the card is issued by EFS, which is a large fuel payment company used by many trucking companies. You can then load that card as your payment card for places like Loves. If you have the Loves app and load the EFS card, you can then start the pumps through the app and never need to go in to the fuel desk. The receipt will be in the app, and you'll get an email with the nightly reconciliation showing your discount and the fee taken. The fee for the TSD card is 10% of the discount given. Quite a deal since the discount is huge.

The TCS card is okay, but I feel that it's not the best out there. I was hoping that FMCA would have gotten in on a better program, but apparently not.

12 minutes ago, richard5933 said:

If you have the Loves app and load the EFS card, you can then start the pumps through the app and never need to go in to the fuel desk.

I don't have the loves app and was able to start the pumps with just my EFS card.

Yes,

2 hours ago, huffypuff said:

Why does TSD want your full SSN? 

Show me any major place dealing with money who doesn't want you ID. Your SSN is your ID. 

I hope FMCA moves to the EFS card as I don't like leaving money sitting in an account when not traveling.

Bill

4 hours ago, huffypuff said:

You don't have to put that on the application. TSD will call you and you give it over the phone so it doesn't get "On the Internet."  Bank # and account number are for the withdrawing by TSD.  The SSN is in case you default on payments, like not having enough the the account, that they can track you down. 

I set up a separate account with my FCU bank and populated it with $500. As I use it I transfer more $$ into it.

2 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

You don't have to put that on the application. TSD will call you and you give it over the phone so it doesn't get "On the Internet."  Bank # and account number are for the withdrawing by TSD.  The SSN is in case you default on payments, like not having enough the the account, that they can track you down. 

I set up a separate account with my FCU bank and populated it with $500. As I use it I transfer more $$ into it.

I plan to do as you, if/when DW is able to travel again.

We have TSD.  Now that we have a 200 gallon fuel thank and take 100-120 gal. per stop, it's  handy not having to go inside, just swipe card & enter your code, fill up and go!  Like FIVE and Wayne, we use a passive account that carries an avg of $1,000...we set it up with the bank, if it goes below $400 a transfer of $600 goes in automatically from another acct.

a month ago, I used a Chevron truck stop and cash for 86 gal. at $1.469...Love's was across the Hwy. at $1.849 (they do inflate the price )...TDS price was $1.579!  Buyer beware. :P

Thank you for all your suggestions, I just completed the form for the TSD Program. It says it will take a couple of weeks to receive it but will check back as I use it.

Thanks again

4 hours ago, Mypopslou said:

It says it will take a couple of weeks to receive it but will check back as I use it.

When I got my card they said the same thing but I  think it came much quicker. I think they like to have a little cushion. Good luck and let us know.

Bill

I looked closely at both programs and went with TSD, The FMCA program (TCS) requires to pre fund an account. That means giving them your money then charging fuel purchases against the account. TSD has you link an account to the card and deducts your Diesel purchases plus their 10% from the account. My wife did not like the idea of giving TCS our frequently used, high balance, account numbers, so I gave them my rarely used checking account and I easily, via phone or online, transfer money into the account as needed.  We have a Diesel pusher and don't put a lot of miles on the coach but, with the exception of Oregon which has a PUC conflict, we have saved from 20 - 30 cents per gallon in Washington and California. This year we will be doing two trips to the east coast so will see how it does in the 20 - 30 states we hit. Both programs ask quite a bit of personal information probably to protect themselves from deadbeats and scammers.

haroldeb, welcome to the forum. I can remember when the $0.06 savings at Piolet/FJ was a deal. I seam to end up at Loves more than outher places and am getting a solid $0.16 savings. Petro gives a little more $0.55 and Friday I am going to try a Stripes to see what the savings are.

I do hope FMCA can renegotiate their deal to make it like EFS card I realey don't like having my money tied up.

Bill

On 4/11/2020 at 9:00 PM, richard5933 said:

Back to the OP's question about TCS vs TSD...

I've got both. Hands down, the TSD card is the winner. A few reasons:

• Both TSD and TCS cards are for use on diesel pumps.
  • TSD has better discounts.
  • TSD is fully automated once set up. They do a nightly reconciliation and do one pull from your account to cover the transactions for that day.
  • TSD is much easier to get set up.
  • TCS does offer discounts in a few brands that TSD doesn't
  • TCS is a pre-paid cash card. You have to have money on deposit to use the card.
  • TCS has a difficult system for loading the card, with the free options taking at least a day or two.

I did get the TCS card, despite its shortcomings, so that I have an additional payment method if needed. I put a few hundred dollars on the card, and it just sits there for now ready if I need it. We use the TSD card as often as possible.

If you get the TSD, the card is issued by EFS, which is a large fuel payment company used by many trucking companies. You can then load that card as your payment card for places like Loves. If you have the Loves app and load the EFS card, you can then start the pumps through the app and never need to go in to the fuel desk. The receipt will be in the app, and you'll get an email with the nightly reconciliation showing your discount and the fee taken. The fee for the TSD card is 10% of the discount given. Quite a deal since the discount is huge.

The TCS card is okay, but I feel that it's not the best out there. I was hoping that FMCA would have gotten in on a better program, but apparently not.

Thanks for this comparison...I've had the TSD card for a few months now and cannot believe how much we have saved.  Having just seen this other TCS card advertised by FMCA, I was curious how they compare and you have answered that question!  So far, I have been able to save between $25 and 30 per fillup of our 100gal tank, using the phone app to plot my next stop for fuel.  I am wondering how the phone apps compare, from your experience...

We use the TSD where ever we can.  I take between 128 to 143 gallons each time on a 200 gal. tank.  Biggest discounts have been at T/A, Petro, Stripe and Love's stations!  

12 hours ago, dorite said:

Thanks for this comparison...I've had the TSD card for a few months now and cannot believe how much we have saved.  Having just seen this other TCS card advertised by FMCA, I was curious how they compare and you have answered that question!  So far, I have been able to save between $25 and 30 per fillup of our 100gal tank, using the phone app to plot my next stop for fuel.  I am wondering how the phone apps compare, from your experience...

Haven't used the TCS phone app for quite some time, but I don't remember the apps themselves being that different. Once I had them both the difference was quite clear in the programs and the discounts, pointing decidedly in TSD's favor. Only used the TCS card once and then cancelled it.

I use the TSD EFS card regularly, but it does still require an account with cash available. We have a bank account we’ve had forever but never use as a checking account. We keep a few hundred in it when traveling. I’m thinking about the FMCA card only to add stations in areas where the EFS card doesn’t have any. Hoping there are new stations available. I have a 36 gallon tank so stopping more often. Some day I’ll upgrade to a 56 gal tank, but that’s a different discussion.

Welcome to the forum!

What kind of RV do you have?  Most of us list it below our signature!

Edited by hermanmullins

On 7/11/2021 at 6:18 PM, davidransier said:

I use the TSD EFS card regularly, but it does still require an account with cash available. We have a bank account we’ve had forever but never use as a checking account. We keep a few hundred in it when traveling. I’m thinking about the FMCA card only to add stations in areas where the EFS card doesn’t have any. Hoping there are new stations available. I have a 36 gallon tank so stopping more often. Some day I’ll upgrade to a 56 gal tank, but that’s a different discussion.

Welcome to the forum. 

Bill