five

Insurance Quote

My present insurance company has asked for a 20% raise for renewal of my policy this year.  I called them and the only reason they could give was that the state had raised their rates....we've had no claims, no motor vehicle violations or anything that would cause the rates to increase.  This month, I renewed our FMCA membership and got a flyer suggesting I get a quote from them.  I did that yesterday, and their quote (Progressive) was over $2,300 more than my present company for the same coverage.  That 20% increase doesn't look too bad now.

The entire insurance industry is raising rates. Ours went up the end of last year, we shopped around and ours was still the cheapest. Its bankrupting the trucking industry and its being blamed on the cost of lawsuits which have multiplied significantly in the last few years.  

2 hours ago, jleamont said:

The entire insurance industry is raising rates. Ours went up the end of last year, we shopped around and ours was still the cheapest. Its bankrupting the trucking industry and its being blamed on the cost of lawsuits which have multiplied significantly in the last few years.  

Depends on which state you're in, what the insurance commissioner in that state is allowing, what the claims in the state have been, etc.

Ours went down slightly this year since we've been with the company long enough to qualify for a small discount. Our homeowners and auto policies remained the same.

FIVE, that's odd IMO. My MH insurance due date was 4/33/20, rates stayed the same (Safeco). I called a local independent agent who quoted me a Progressive policy with higher coverage at $100/yr less than Safeco. I made the switch today.

When I called the Safeco agent, she said I should have called and told her to shop around for a different company. My response to that was; I told her IMO an independent agent should not require a customer to make the request, she should do that automatically if customer service was a priority.

Side note, Safeco does not have a dedicated RV/MH policy, they issue an automobile policy and add-on enough coverage for a MH. I have my Safeco policy here in front of me. The header states: "Automobile policy declarations". then below identifies my MH.

Bill, prior to trading in both coaches...fun. Not!  Now we have one and it's about the same, but the 1 coach is also worth more than the previous 2 combined.  We also carry replacement cost.  Still with State Farm and they do have a separate rate for RV's, everything on coach is covered, it's not a Safeco Policy!  State Farm also have our cars and trucks and trailers.  When we get married, I'm moving both houses over to USAA.

On 4/15/2020 at 4:51 AM, manholt said:

Bill, prior to trading in both coaches...fun. Not!  Now we have one and it's about the same, but the 1 coach is also worth more than the previous 2 combined.  We also carry replacement cost.  Still with State Farm and they do have a separate rate for RV's, everything on coach is covered, it's not a Safeco Policy!  State Farm also have our cars and trucks and trailers.  When we get married, I'm moving both houses over to USAA.

Good luck with getting paid "replacement cost."  Your insurance will pay, as quoted from an agent, "the insured value or book value, which ever is less."

16 hours ago, FIVE said:

Good luck with getting paid "replacement cost."  Your insurance will pay, as quoted from an agent, "the insured value or book value, which ever is less."

The best thing (IMO) to do when getting a policy written for replacement cost or for a set value like ours is, is to have a professional appraisal done when the policy is written. As you said, the company will pay what they think the coach is worth at the time of the event, not what the owner thinks it's worth. Having a third-part professional appraisal is about the only way for an owner to substantiate his/her valuation, and it will need to be done before the event. Of course, they aren't cheap and will need to be adjusted/redone every few years to be accurate.

When we insured our coach we used a set-value policy, and used a professional appraisal to support the valuation. Our lesson was learned after our first coach was totaled in a collision and we had to try and establish valuation after-the-fact. Cost us about $500 for the initial appraisal, and subsequent updates will be less.

On 4/15/2020 at 5:51 AM, manholt said:

I currently have Safeco for the RV, and State Farm for 2 cars.  Called State Farm for a quote for a policy "specific to RVs, not an auto policy adjusted to cover RVs".  Thought I had a good deal going ($588 less than Safeco).  Was told it was an RV policy.  Questioned personal property coverage and she said pots, pans, etc. were not covered.  The young lady was not familiar w/RV living so explained about many items stored in basements (this was a trick to explain).  My current coverage provides $4,000 personal property coverage - better than nothing.  The State Farm rep. said she would check on pp coverage, and when she called back, the quoted policy would not coverage any pp, and she corrected her prior comment that this was an RV policy, but it was an auto policy.  For now, guess I'll stay w/Safeco.

FIVE --

A year ago when I upgraded from my 2007 Damon Astoria to my 2016 Newmar Ventana LE the insurance rate for my Progressive Direct (on-line) policy increase rather dramatically.   As such, I had FMCA Insurance quote new insurance coverage which was also through Progressive that was 30% LOWER than my existing Progressive policy.  I called Progressive and they said the insurance rate from a very large "broker" such as FMCA is often lower than the rate offered by Progressive Direct.   I cancelled the Progressive Direct policy and purchased a new Progressive policy through FMCA.

Who is your current insurance provider?

2 hours ago, Patmann said:

I currently have Safeco for the RV, and State Farm for 2 cars.  Called State Farm for a quote for a policy "specific to RVs, not an auto policy adjusted to cover RVs".  Thought I had a good deal going ($588 less than Safeco).  Was told it was an RV policy.  Questioned personal property coverage and she said pots, pans, etc. were not covered.  The young lady was not familiar w/RV living so explained about many items stored in basements (this was a trick to explain).  My current coverage provides $4,000 personal property coverage - better than nothing.  The State Farm rep. said she would check on pp coverage, and when she called back, the quoted policy would not coverage any pp, and she corrected her prior comment that this was an RV policy, but it was an auto policy.  For now, guess I'll stay w/Safeco.

I just left Safeco for Progressive with better coverage for a lower premium. Safeco is an auto policy too; outside awnings are an add-on to the basic policy.

19 hours ago, fagnaml said:

FIVE --

A year ago when I upgraded from my 2007 Damon Astoria to my 2016 Newmar Ventana LE the insurance rate for my Progressive Direct (on-line) policy increase rather dramatically.   As such, I had FMCA Insurance quote new insurance coverage which was also through Progressive that was 30% LOWER than my existing Progressive policy.  I called Progressive and they said the insurance rate from a very large "broker" such as FMCA is often lower than the rate offered by Progressive Direct.   I cancelled the Progressive Direct policy and purchased a new Progressive policy through FMCA.

Who is your current insurance provider?

I've been that route with Progressive and the same thing happened that happened to you.  It seems after a few years they want a hefty increase, so I change companies for a couple of years, go back to Progressive and back to a lower rate.  Maybe that's the way they do business, except I did not go to them directly this time, GS did.  Present policy is with National General through GS.

We are buyers, we own no allegiance to any company. Shop every year for the lowest price for  the same coverage_or better.

Just got my renewal notice from Farmers, $300 increase on top of the $400 increase last year.  Contacted agent, her response that quite a jump over the last 2 years, will check with corporate office.  She responded that increased cost are due to new state requirements, no mention on what the new requirements were. Compared the coverage this year against proposed renewal, no change in coverage, just increase in premium.

Went on line got quote from Good Sam for same coverage, $985 less.  Will call them tomorrow to confirm.

Any reviews on GS appreciated

Jim

Are you guys all going through the companies directly or through an independent agent?

We've been using an independent agent for years (decades?) and never have to work so hard to get coverage or to keep the rates reasonable. The agent's job is to find the lowest cost coverage for us, and I've never been able to beat what they find by doing it myself.

1 hour ago, richard5933 said:

Are you guys all going through the companies directly or through an independent agent?

We've been using an independent agent for years (decades?) and never have to work so hard to get coverage or to keep the rates reasonable. The agent's job is to find the lowest cost coverage for us, and I've never been able to beat what they find by doing it myself.

I agree. I always use an independent agent. Had a problem with the previous agency though. I was told they are too large to search for better rates, I said bye, now with a much smaller local  independent agent.

3 hours ago, richard5933 said:

Dealing with local Farmers agent.  Thanks for the info,

Jim

I am full time and registered in South Dakota. State Farm, Safeco, Hartford all would not write a full time policy without a homeowners policy. If I had homeowners why would I be full time???? I went with Geico and got a great price. I have stated value, and stated the value is the price I paid for the RV. When its 5 years old I may change to replacement cost, but I will get an appraisal first.

9 hours ago, F433921 said:

Dealing with local Farmers agent.  Thanks for the info,

Jim

If you are dealing with a Farmers agent, then likely he/she can only write policies with Farmers (or their affiliates). Our agency (R&R Insurance) is one of Wisconsin's largest truly independent agencies, and they are quite good at shopping around for the policy which best suits the customer's needs. Assume that there are agencies like this all around the country.

On 4/18/2020 at 9:28 AM, FIVE said:

I've been that route with Progressive and the same thing happened that happened to you.  It seems after a few years they want a hefty increase, so I change companies for a couple of years, go back to Progressive and back to a lower rate.  Maybe that's the way they do business, except I did not go to them directly this time, GS did.  Present policy is with National General through GS.

We are with National General and it's quite high but we live in Montana and they did full replacement cost plus 8,000 for personal property. We store 4 months out of the year and premium goes down to about a third. They are great to work with but I need to find something different till we start traveling again.  Got a quote from Safco it was cheaper but did not feel to comfy with fact they do not do replacement cost and said they do agreed value which is what we paid for it. Got one today from FMCA with National and it also had purchased price on it. They added road side assistance for 750.00 but we have coach net which we are real pleased. We has old motor home with our house and 3 cars with AARP Hartford but we have just spent a year fighting with them to get close to $80,000 in damage to our house covered. Finally had to go to Insurance Commissioner here in Montana to get things done. Guess for now switch to National and when we go full time when this virus is over switch back to NG.