johntelling

Tire installation costs

Can someone please give me an idea of how much the installation of six tires will cost me? They are 275/70R 22.5. I have a quote for the tire from FMCA. Thanks!

John, most shops charge $25.00/tire to mount 22.5 tires plus $25.00/tire to balance.  So you can look at $150.00 or $300.00 depending on what you want. 

Herman 

8 minutes ago, johntelling said:

Thanks for the responses. I am in the Sacramento Ca area, and expect I will balance the fronts only - is this what you recommend?

Yes, that is exactly what I do.  But others believe in balancing all 6.

I just had all 7 balanced - did the spare as well since it might need to be used up front. Cost was $30/ea for balance and $30/ea for install.

5 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

John, most shops charge $25.00/tire to mount 22.5 tires plus $25.00/tire to balance.  So you can look at $150.00 or $300.00 depending on what you want. 

Herman 

With new tires the stems should be replaced also.  

Glad we got that settled.-_-

For reference purposes. I just moved some tires around. It wasn't "rotating" in the normal sense. Before I took this coach home I ended up with 6 new tires on the back. The front ones were 2 1/2 years old. I decided I wanted to move the steers to the tag and have new tires on the front. Cowser Tire service on north loop 820 in Fort Worth did the work for me. $25.00 each labor and $27.00 balance. 2 ea  valve extensions $9.97.

As far as I can tell it rides smooth with no vibration. Some don't balance all the tires but I like to start with all of them balanced. 

Bill

This old thread began in April 2020, so what is already here is old news.

Bag balancing is a bag of special beads that breaks the bag while driving, the beads then gravitate to the lightest spots around the tire to balance the tire. This requires special valve stems with special valve cores.

I've never had this done, just speaking from what I've read on various RVing forums.

Over the years I have had all tires balanced. Either spin balanced, which is my preference, or bead balanced if spin balancing was not available. Both have worked fine for me. 

Here is the direction I went in March 2017 with our current tires. I spoke with our National Tire rep for the company I worked for. Their tire engineer  suggested on a 22.5 wheel do not balance, instead install Centramatics behind the wheels. Large tires only hold the balance for a short while and typically run smoothly anyway, the Centramatics will constantly correct any vibrations as the tires wear. I’ve been running like that for 6 years now smooth as glass.

Centramatics also balance out other imperfections like brake drums and rotors that are not true. Have the tires “Match Mounted” onto the wheels to help minimize or eliminate vibration.

Edited by jleamont

On 4/15/2020 at 9:08 PM, wildebill308 said:

Glad we got that settled.-_-

For reference purposes. I just moved some tires around. It wasn't "rotating" in the normal sense. Before I took this coach home I ended up with 6 new tires on the back. The front ones were 2 1/2 years old. I decided I wanted to move the steers to the tag and have new tires on the front. Cowser Tire service on north loop 820 in Fort Worth did the work for me. $25.00 each labor and $27.00 balance. 2 ea  valve extensions $9.97.

As far as I can tell it rides smooth with no vibration. Some don't balance all the tires but I like to start with all of them balanced. 

Bill

That was a good plan.

On 4/15/2020 at 11:08 AM, johntelling said:

Can someone please give me an idea of how much the installation of six tires will cost me? They are 275/70R 22.5. I have a quote for the tire from FMCA. Thanks!

What prices were you quoted when you called around? Different locations seem to respond to market pressure so the price in one location is not necessarily the same in another part of the country. This labor rate is not standardized by the tire companies.

On 4/15/2020 at 10:08 AM, johntelling said:

well it cost me $50 each, for mounting, new long stems, and balancing. Not cheap, but I couldn't do it myself.   Bob