obiwan_canoli

Cost to Flat-Tow ? WOW!

Having used a Tow Dolly to tow my 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.5L, I'd become a bit displeased with the inconvenience, and had all but decided to obtain the equipment necessary to flat-tow my vehicle. So, I called Camping World - the only resource I knew of - and was shocked at the quote they provided to install the equipment on both vehicles - over $5,400!!!

Can this be accurate?

Am I missing something here? Previous inquiries suggested a cost closer to $2,500... but at 5K+, I think I would easily put up with the dolly...

Sure would appreciate some input from more experienced RV'rs… Thanks!

Flat tow?  on a trailer or 4 wheels down?  Why even have dolly if you can do 4 down?  Confused & need more info!

There have to be other resources in your area besides Camping World. First step for me would be to get a few other quotes, then price the equipment online so you can see what a DIY install would cost.

Went to the Blue Ox representative in Council Bluffs (Council Hitch) and the cost was $5050.40 which included a car battery charge device.  I have a 2015 Lincoln MKT which I believe is the same chassis as the Edge, and have the 3.5L with all wheel drive.  I have never had a good experience at Camping World.

24 minutes ago, manholt said:

Flat tow?  on a trailer or 4 wheels down?  Why even have dolly if you can do 4 down?  Confused & need more info!

Yes, flat Tow... meaning, all four wheels on the ground... I started with a Tow Dolly, and now wish to move to a more convenient means of towing my car... since I do not have the necessary equipment to tow a vehicle 4-down, my original post is motivated by this fact

WOW. We tow a Jeep Wrangler and here is a breakdown of the costs;

Base plate (when we had one) $250.00 part, $0 labor. Took me 45 minutes to install, very simple.

Demco Commander tow bar, $650.00 (retail)

M&G brake system, $700.00 with breakaway kit. 

$1600.00 down the road we go!

Ya, would love to see an itemized breakdown on that $5,400 estimate.  Never seen a gold plated tow bar, but ..............

Or maybe they have an on-staff heart surgeon doing the installation-- at his normal heart replacement rate.

Without getting into a debate, I like Roadmaster products. Check online to their authorized dealers for parts price, but I installed everything in my 2019 Chevrolet Equinox. I had to remove 64 screws to get to the mounting locations for the baseplates and crossbar. I moved my Air Force 1 braking system from old auto to new. Wired the Bright Light module and wiring from motor home to rear of towed. It took me a week, but I could only work on it but a few hours each day. I had the tow bar, so no cost there. The directions that came with the baseplates from Roadmaster were excellent. Specific instructions and pictures of installing on you auto. Frankly running the wire from the motor home to the rear of the towed is the hardest task. Installation is not for the faint of heart. Would I do it again? Absolutely! But you do need average skills and the tools to do the job. 

Check with etrailer.com.  They have all the parts and instructions and even videos for most of there towing items.  I myself use Roadmaster and have never had a problem with the installs.

Nice bike!  Do you take both with you?  I have a 07' Classic Cruiser by HD, trike out in Troop, TX..  Year before HD bought out Leland and came out with their own trike!  Can't carry both, unless I get a staker trailer.

Roadmaster is my choice also, along with M&G brakes, no base plate.

It really pays off being an ole mechanic with lots of tools (Bobbie says I have way too many, I say not near enough). If it breaks, I can fix it unless it is the drive train. Then I leave it to the very good professionals, like Joe L.

I can't say anything bad about CW. I have SOO much stuff I got from them when we first began M/Hing. And all of it stays so well in the original packaging and unwrapped for years in the bays taking up space .:wacko:

Herman

I would look at Remco Towing,  http://www.remcotowing.com/Towing/Store.php

You might call and see if there is someone they recommend for the installation in your area. 

Makes me feel lucky. I bought a used towbar and break buddy and had Blue Ox refurbish it at a rally before I had something I could tow 4 down. I think I would like a new base plate but there are lots of used towbars out there.  I negotiated the baseplate and lights etc install when I bought my 2014 CR-V as part of the deal. 

Bill

Base plate:     $400

Wiring :             130

Towbar:          1000

Brake Buddy    850

Total Parts       $2380

Crazy number of hours 8 x $125/hour = $1000.

Total: $3380.00 plus your local taxes

I've installed base plates on 5 different vehicles and its never taken me more than 3 hours to install including the light wiring. Like Bill said, if you can find a used towbar on Craigs List, Ebay, etc, thats more money saved. 

Don't worry about buying a used. I took my used Blue ox to a FMCA rally that I was going to and Blue Ox came out to the RV and did a complete rebuild and when they were done put a sticker on it saying it was certified. That only cost me about $30.00 now I have heard that Roadmaster does the rebuild for free but haven't any experience with them.

As Jim said you can save a lot of money buying used. I think the used Break Buddy and towbar were under $450.00. Look around there are people geting off the road all the time.

Bill

Roadmaster does the same, but you are to take it to their repair truck. Onetime I could not remove my tow bar from the receiver. One of their technicians came to my motor home and removed it, repaired, returned it and installed all at no charge. 

My experience. When we decided to upgrade our tow bar to 19,000# I went to the Blue Ox website and searched for their certified dealers/installers. They listed my local mechanic's business. The total bill was almost $1,500 less than CW quote. I dropped off our MH,, 2 days later he phoned and asked me to bring my 2013 Siliverado I intended to tow. Next day he called again to tell me come pick up my vehicles/rig.

(BTW he and his DW are FMCA members, travel in a 45' Country Coach towing a Jeep GC)

2 hours ago, rossboyer said:

Roadmaster does the same, but you are to take it to their repair truck. Onetime I could not remove my tow bar from the receiver. One of their technicians came to my motor home and removed it, repaired, returned it and installed all at no charge. 

I was at a FMCA rally in 2014 and Roadmaster inspect all for free.  My old obsolete tow bar I had was unrepairable and they gave me $300 towards a new one.  Their reason is that they wanted that old obsolete tow bar off the road that had their name on it.  I think it was a Eagle 8000  They came and did the swap with to my site in a golf cart.  

I had my Roadmaster rebuilt in Perry, GA. FMCA INTO Rally...Cost = zero!

I do not need a base plate on my 2013 Jeep Sport,,,3/16" Steel bumper, welded and bolted onto frame, so I use the "D" bolt connector for tow bar. 

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 12:45 PM, wolfe10 said:

Ya, would love to see an itemized breakdown on that $5,400 estimate.  Never seen a gold plated tow bar, but ..............

Or maybe they have an on-staff heart surgeon doing the installation-- at his normal heart replacement rate.

When I read "Camping World" my thoughts ran in the same direction.

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 12:36 PM, jleamont said:

WOW. We tow a Jeep Wrangler and here is a breakdown of the costs;

Base plate (when we had one) $250.00 part, $0 labor. Took me 45 minutes to install, very simple.

Demco Commander tow bar, $650.00 (retail)

M&G brake system, $700.00 with breakaway kit. 

$1600.00 down the road we go!

Base plate installation cost varies greatly vehicle to vehicle.  The entire nose cone had to come off the Chevy Cobalt we use to install the base plate. 

I made the installation of the base plate and wiring part of the deal when I bought my CR-V. 

I bought a used towbar and brake buddy and had the towbar rebuilt and certified by Blue Ox at Perrey before I had anything towable 4 down. My total cost was about $550.00 to get setup to tow 4 down. Lots of used equipment out there you just have to look.

Bill  

On 4/15/2020 at 12:45 PM, wolfe10 said:

Just re-read this thread and I have to disagree with you Brett. It was a Proctologist and he installed it by going up the muffler.