obiwan_canoli

Cost to Flat-Tow ? WOW!

Just had a blue ox system installed on my ford f150 total cost $2,645. Installed  into rv receiver hitch and on the road again!

On 6/16/2020 at 4:48 PM, wayne77590 said:

Just re-read this thread and I have to disagree with you Brett. It was a Proctologist and he installed it by going up the muffler.

Friends had their 2015 Wrangler set up by a local reputable RV dealer (not CW) and the install for everything including a portable braking system was $4,600.

I just did my 2020 Equinox Premier with a Demco baseplate, Roadmaster Nighthawk tow bar, Demco Stay-IN-Play permanent braking system, RVi Towed Charger, LED tail light diode wiring kit,  tow bar cover, two locking hitch pins, a 4" dual drop hitch,  two tow bar pin padlocks, wire loom to contain all of the wiring and spent about $3,700 on parts out the door, almost all with Etrailer. Shipping was free but the state sales tax was not.

Ray

You can save some money by looking for used equipment. I found a Blue Ox tow bar and a Brake Buddy for under $500.00. I spent $35.00 to have the towbar rebuilt and certified by Blue Ox at a rally before I had anything to tow 4 down. I also saved  some money by negotiating the base plate and wiring on the toad when I bought my 2014 CR-V. So my CR-V came from the dealer ready to hook up and go.

Bill

$5400 wow. I took my 2015 Ram eco Diesel to a local independent muffler installer, he installed the kit on the truck, the proportional air brake lines, break a way, for $300

i then went to a local shop that specializes in automotive electrical, and had him install the diodes for the brake lights for $150

i was present during both these installations and I wasn’t that complicated.

My experience with Camping World is love and hate.

try contacting a mobile rv repair company 

don't pay   Camping World.

look for used tow bars on Craig’s list. I bought my 10,000# road master tow system that way, purchased the kit for the truck from e trailer, they are great, and they have great Ytubes on installment of everything they sell.

Bob

Bob.  Welcome to the Forum!

Thanks for the info. I agree fully!  I  don't use a base plate, I bumper pull my toads.

Carl C.

10 hours ago, manholt said:

I  don't use a base plate,

Ditto! Seeking another Jeep soon, that will be set up the same way.

I just spent over $3,000 for the hardware to tow our Wrangler and I probably will end up with spending a few hundred more before I'm done. Roadmaster hitch, RVi brake controller, Blue Ox wiring kit...no baseplate as the Jeep has a towable bumper, but needed adapters to attach to the d-ring mounts. Doing all work myself.

Edited by RVwriter

Welcome to the forum RVwriter. 

I don't remember what my total cost was because I bought the tow bar and brake buddy used and negotiated the installation of the baseplate and wiring when I bought the CR-V. 

So RVwriter, do you wright? Also just a tip. If you add your rig and outher info to your signature it will help to get better/faster answers. See manholt's above.

Bill

Fast forward 2023, 2015 Entegra Anthem, 2022 Jeep Wrangler. Been to 2 different rv shops both quotes nearly the same.  Sure you could spend several hrs ripping up you knuckles, cussing and throwing tools but some jobs are better left to a professional. Nighthawk tow bar, Airforce 1 braking system, Proper base plate for said Jeep, correct wiring harness (no splices). Parts $3488, labor $1215. Tax WA $428

Try some of the places outher than RV shops. When the dealer put the baseplate and wiring harness on my CR-V they used a 4 Wheeler shop.

Bill

1. NOT Camping World.

2. We never have enough tools.

3. Etrailer.com is a great online source with decent videos on how to install.

4. Great choices mentioned above as to which equipment to buy, etrailer.com is usually in the lower end for new stuff.  Buying used is good if you get the specific hardware required.

5. Having some mechanical skills and time makes installation cheaper than buying from some shop and paying labor.

6. Having some relationship with a reliable mechanic, mobile or shop is good.  Cheap is cheap. I recently fired my used to be reliable shop for repairs/installed for my beyond amateur abilities. There were too many simple mistakes that I found 500 miles down the road.

Edited by fredflinstome

Current pricing for a complete NSA Ready Brute Elite II kit is $2699 directly from NSA: here's the link this gives you everything you need from the back of the RV to the baseplate on the toad, including brakes and lighting. Installation would depend on the toad but it's all capable of DIY, if you have even basic skills.