Sign in to follow this  
blaseyholt

2010 F150 4X4 TOW INSTRUCTIONS

blasyholt,

The 4x4 Fords require a switch, that has to be installed, to be able to place the truck into 4 wheel drive neutral. Check with your local Ford dealer. You may be able to purchase the kit and install it yourself.

Also when you type in all caps it mean that you are shouting which I don't think you meant.

Let us know how you do.

Herman

Herman I talked to 2 large Ford dealerships and both said they did not know of any switch that would place 4x4 into neutral. Looks like, without a manual transfer case lever like the older trucks had F150 before 2012 are not towable 4 down. Sure did not want to have to get another vehicle but that seems to be the deal.

Here is from E-trailer website confirming that it must have manual shift transfer case also.

Ford F-150

Ford F-150 Flat Tow Restrictions

There are no distance or speed limitations when flat towing the 2009-2010 Ford F-150. Note that only 4WD F-150 trucks may be flat towed; 2WD trucks should only be towed with all wheels off the ground. All F-150 trucks prior to the 2012 model year must also have a manual-shift transfer case in order to be flat towed, as no recreational towing is permitted with vehicles with electronic-shift transfer cases.

I had a 2011 which I think is basically the same as your 2010 and it was not WAS NOT flat towable so I traded for a 2012 which is very easy to place the transfer case in neutral.

Lenp

Refer to the FMCA dingy towing guide prior to buying a towed. That's how I decided on my 2013 Chevy Silverado 4x4.

Agree with Ray-- start by checking on the FMCA Towing Guides (log into the FMCA website and you will find the towing guides under "Magazine".

BUT (yes, large BUT) there have been enough "rethinks" by vehicle manufacturers that checking with the manufacturer is still a good idea.

I stand corrected. All of the information I have come across refers to the Ford Explorer and Explorer Sport 4X4s and not the F150s.

I have had both 2008 and now a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 4X4.  For several reasons. 1) There is no steering wheel lock. 2) Very easy to put it into four wheel neautril. 3)  When in four wheel neautril you just put it Park take the key out and lock the doors. and 4) It doesn't rack up the miles  

I have pulled 4X4 Chevrolet over 60K miles with no issues. But hay I'm and Chey Man what can I say.👍🏻

Herman 

18 hours ago, wolfe10 said:

....start by checking on the FMCA Towing Guides (log into the FMCA website and you will find the towing guides under "Magazine".

BUT (yes, large BUT) there have been enough "rethinks" by vehicle manufacturers that checking with the manufacturer is still a good idea.....

For sure!  To my way of thinking it must be spelled out in the owner's manual and not some guy on the phone from the car manufacturer.

I have checked with my towed auto manufacturer, and I received a printed and expanded document stating the manufacturers specified towing limits and requirements.