brown774

Parking Brake

We have a 2007 Monaco Diplomat on a Roadmaster chasis. I could not get the parking brake to  release. I drained the air tanks then re pressured them and it still won't release. I feel the transmission go into Drive but it won't move. Any ideas is appreciated.

Quite likely the brake shoes are rusted to the drum. Continue trying to rock forward/ backwards, but do not overheat the transmission. 

Particularly if it has sat for awhile this is more likely than that both brake canisters have failed.  Could it be an air issue---  possibly, but much less likely than just stuck shoes.

Another option is to use "percussive persuasion" on the drums to free up the shoes. Be sure to have safety stands in place before doing this.

brown774, has the coach been parked for a while?

Probably the brakes are stuck to the drums. If you can safely crawl underneath and tap on the shoes, go back up inside and try and release them. 

Just so you know, the parking brake is the two cannisters on the drive axel only, no need to be concerned with the other wheels. Not completely correct, but in most cases true about which shoes stick.

Yes, rear axle only.  And, there will be 4 brake cans on the rear, two on each side.  One is the parking brake= spring applied, air released.  The other is the service brake= air applied, spring released/retracted.

Bill Brown, if you do get under your coach, first make sure you chock the wheels so it can't roll. Remember you are trying to release the brakes. The only time I have had this problem I was able to rock the coach and they came loose.

Bill

Bill Brown, let me add something to the good advise Bill just gave. If you get under your coach or any coach for that matter, be sure you have some substantial support in case by some unfortunate you lose your air pressure.  As I understand it it is very difficult to breath with a coach on your chest.

Please be careful so you can be safe.

Herman

Become familiar with the process, chock the coach, then "cage" the parking brakes. If the coach will roll, as Brett said the shoes are not stuck to the drum. NEVER attempt to disassemble or repair a spring brake canister, the spring is strong enough to cause severe injury. The potential for injury or death is so great there is a specific disposal method.

Good news the percussive persuasion and rocking did the trick. Thank you all the good advice. I was very careful while doing this as a retired Fire Captain I have seen the bad results of not taking safety precautions. 

Glad to hear you are all fixed up. I experience this in the beginning of every season.
This year it was not happening by rocking. I had to get my DW in the drivers seat, brakes released crawl underneath and tap the shoes with a hammer. I told her if the coach starts to move step on the brakes (engine was off). I had it on jack stands and wheels chocked but I wanted someone in the drivers seat just in case.