craigandlenin

Progressive Insurance Response to COVID19

Hello everyone.  As you may or may not know, many States have mandated that insurance companies give refunds to their auto policy holders due to the decreased risk of claims.

I contacted Progressive Insurance about refunds/discounts being applied to RV policies.  Bottom line, no discounts (because Rvs were not included in the mandates by certain states)   Here is their official reply:  "As of right now, this credit is only applying to personal auto policies as this is where we have seen the biggest impact.... Although we have not announced a credit for RV policies, motorcycle policies, etc, we will continue to monitor and communicate any future credits should we decide to offer those. 

I encourage anyone who has a Progressive policy to call and complain about this disparity.  RV policies should have been the first to be discounted, as there is no where for most of us to go.  People are driving their cars less, but they are still driving them.  My motorhome has been in our garage for 2 months and with no sign of this crisis ending, it will sit there for months to come. 

In the meantime, everyone stay safe.

Craig

I have Progressive insurance for my motorhome and would like a 'rebate' but can understand why Progressive is not giving rebates to RV owners.    The average RV owner like me only drives / tows their RV about ~5,000 miles a year with 30-40 days of use per year.   So for the average RV owner like me, their RV sits is storage 80-90% of the time.  As such, the use of RVs, damage exposure level for RV owners and insurance company has not be affected (yet).   If the coronavirus stay-at-home orders, business closures, etc. extend well into the summer, then RV usage will decline significantly at which point we RV owners could campaign for insurance rate reductions.  

In contrast, personal vehicle usage has declined very dramatically,   Under stay-at-home orders, the daily use of my Jeep has gone to a couple of very short trips per week for the weekly grocery store outing or to pick up a Saturday night dinner at a local restaurant.

Craig - welcome to the forum.

From what I can see, not all the states required insurance companies to provide rebates. California looks like it did, but not all states.

We got a refund today in Wisconsin from our auto carrier, and as far as I know they weren't required to give it.

We have Progressive for both our MH and our cars.  Even though there is no premium rebate program for the MH, I always put the MH into a winter "layup" mode which reduces my premiums by ~$60-70/mo.  This year I'm simply not taking it out of winter layup until it's safe (and legal) to travel.  In the mode it is currently in, it still has legal minimums on its liability coverages so it would be street-legal if it had to be driven.   I raise the collision deductible and drop uninsured motorist coverage.  Comprehensive coverage remains the same.

I have Geico. My Auto policy with Geico is a combo policy with the Auto and Motorhome on one policy. Geico has announced a 15% reduction in your renewal premium rather than a refund. I will see if I get a 15% discount on the entire renewal or just a proportionate amount for the Auto. In the meantime I’m still waiting for my stimulus deposit.