11 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Ok Smithy, What is your job at FMCA? What RV do you have?

"We have 5,500 non-motorhome members." I hate to tell you but that sounds realey condescending towards our fellow RVers. You do know there is a perception in the non-motorhome world that FMCA is a bunch of rich elitist in their fancy coaches. 

It is more about the person and the journey than the type of RV they have.

"It is easy to say selling ads should be a piece of cake to that segment. When you ask them to outlay print ad money, the numbers make it a tough sell." No one said it would be easy. What kind of deals are you offering? 

"We have partnerships with many dealers and manufacturers to offer comp memberships. We have been doing this for longer than I have been with FMCA." That's interesting because I have been in several major dealers and I have just bought a new to me 2008 Newmar Mountain Aire frome (NIDRVC) and never heard anything about FMCA. Never saw a poster on the wall or  any type of promotional material. I can't think of ever seeing anything at any RV dealership. 

"We have a limited budget on the advertising side" Ok what are you doing to leverage it? 

"We get great bang for our buck promoting FMCA on Facebook and Google. Our cost per acquisition is excellent." Well that is realey cool but you arn't making your goals for numbers. This goes back to my original questions. What do you think? What do you think can be improved and how?

Here's a tip for your "social media" people. Work on some of the Channels on Youtube. Many have thousand of followers Many are full time RVers. Some can get several hundred to show up for a meet and greet. Work on getting benefit packages that will appeal to full timers. Then promote them because they are the ones in touch with those who plan on gong full time or joining the RV lifestyle.

Bill

I am the CEO. I do not own an RV. 

You referenced that the staff and management needed to do better at selling ads to the new segment we opened up to. I shared how many members we have from that new segment. Not sure how that is condescending. The point was to show why it has been tough getting those advertisers on board.  I was CEO when we opened up to all RVs. I am from the camp that believes it is about the people and not the equipment.

Dealers and manufacturers do not and will not offer a comp membership into FMCA during their sales process. They are trying to close the deal. They do offer the membership after the sale. The buyer decides to accept it or not. NIRVC would never offer one of our comp memberships. They formed a motor home only club after we opened to all RVs.

Facebook and Google advertising is pretty cool. It is true that since our new fiscal year, which started October 2019, we have had trouble growing. From March 2017-March 2020 membership grew by 7,756 members, or nearly 11%. So yes you are correct in that in the last 6 months our results have been a bit lackluster, but the 2.5 years before that were very successful.

FMCA does have a Youtube channel. We do produce video content. I would love to produce more, but much like advertising dollars, resources are limited. We have over 40,000 followers on Facebook so our social media folks(actually one person) is doing a great job.

I

2 hours ago, manholt said:

Bill, thank you!  

Smithy, the last time I was offered a one year comp for FMCA membership by a dealer, was in 1996, I bought a 1997 Allegro!  Yes, they did it in the 1960's to 1990's!  I knew nothing about FMCA until I bought my first new, cookie cutter coach in 1967!  

Sure wish someone from FMCA would join in, that will not play the PC card.  IMHO, we all need to be able to throw out ideas, without getting false feed back from the paid employee!

Ross, you forgot to mention committee recommendation to the EB for Governance vote!  Are you back on a committee?  

I am here honestly answering questions and clarifying misinformation. What can I help you with?

SMITHY, keeping this Theodore Roosevelt quote is mind: Complaining about a problem without posing a solution is called whining.

What can the general membership do to help with this issue?

Bill,

Just so everyone know the source for RV Travel post, it is in part based on information distributed last week to FMCA's Governing Board members.  It also reflects the attitude of a disgruntled competitor. FMCA is the largest member-owned RV club and, as such, has an open communications philosophy. EVERY member has access to all financial information, board meeting minutes and details about all committees and reports. Simply go the the Governance tab at the bottom of your profile page for the link to the Governance site.

The issues presented in the GB Communication are intended to both inform members of the financial and operational issues and it provides a natural stimulus for members to provide input and comment about their concerns. It goes without saying that we are in midst of a perfect-storm in the RVing world. FMCA's value proposition is under attack brought about by technological and generational changes demanding new methods of imparting information FMCA historically provides through conventions, rallies and seminars. The leadership of FMCA is being guided by it's member suggested key focus areas related to revitalization of all aspects of the organization, marketing and branding, technology, volunteer engagement all of which requires open communication.

The most important things we members can do is to get valid information - such as is available on the Governance site - and participate in discussions to use that information in valid ways to support the influence the orderly evolution of FMCA. Secondly, from a financial perspective, recruit new members. Especially younger, diversified, creative and willing to promote the RVing community. Being willing to participate in supporting FMCA also entails offering oneself to service in support of Chapters, Areas and National Committees. Additional information about volunteering can be found on the Member Engagement webpage, a link for which can be found on your Member Profile page -- it's a tile on the left-hand side of the display under the Member Directory tile when viewing the screen on laptop or computer.

Edited by ckcarpenter42
typo

The question, future of FMCA? This does not have a simple answer. 

I feel numbers will decrease, not because of anything other than the younger generations (younger than I) are not into socializing. These are my experiences with the younger generations I interact with daily. 

The Millennial's and Gen Z's want to be left alone cooped up in private. Nothing to do with FMCA or any similar organization for that matter its just the way they are, I am sure there are exceptions but its not the "norm" from my experience. We have seen a drastic decline in company event participation to the point all activities have stopped, no picnics nothing, so bad around the holidays there are no decorations anywhere to be found! Most insist on working from home as they don't want to interact in an office environment, and will change jobs for less money just to work from home and not have to be around other people. They also tend to be frugal, they wont pay for something unless it yields them something greater in return i.e. it must be a bargain. This is why on-line shopping is taken off and became so popular, they don't want to go to a store, there are people there and its an inconvenience. Lastly, they tend to be risk takers, insurance is always the cheapest and "it wont happen to me" runs deeply in their vocabulary, they also raise their children this way which from the conversations I have had with these age groups, god help us as discipline is not anywhere to be found, their children have to be their friends, its a requirement. 

What does all that mean? Reduction in membership is to be expected IMHO. Some will join and most will eventually drop off, rallies are of no interest unless they attend one to sponge information (technical) that they couldn't find a video on the web that explained it all, once they get what they want they will be likely to disappear. Socializing and the comradery that comes with FMCA it will be greatly reduced if not fade into a part of history. I am sure there are exceptions but they are becoming far and few between. 

This is sad to me, I still have another 18 years until retirement and I want things to be exactly as they are now when my turn comes. I want to be a part of the future of FMCA and I sincerely hope not much changes over the years and I have that opportunity. 

To answer Herman's question, I sell FMCA when I see it fit or I can slide it into a conversation without sounding like that was my intended purpose. I believe in the organization and I express it as such. 

"I am the CEO. I do not own an RV. " There are people who would say that kind of speaks volumes about your problems.

Please point out where I stated anything that was misinformation?

" I shared how many members we have from that new segment. Not sure how that is condescending. The point was to show why it has been tough getting those advertisers on board." Yes I actually have a pretty good grasp of the problem. You don't have the market share to warrant spending the advertising dollars. You didn't say what you were doing to correct /improve it. The outher part "Not sure how that is condescending" do you keep class "B" coaches in a separate group or gas coaches or diesel coaches? It is all about perception in the marketplace. What are  you doing to correct the problem? Why don't you have your internet person do a little polling on the different forums so you will have an idea of the problem and see what you can do to correct it. 

"Dealers and manufacturers do not and will not offer a comp membership into FMCA during their sales process. They are trying to close the deal. They do offer the membership after the sale." This entire statement infers they are selling the membership not giving it. Why wouldn't a FMCA membership be a + during the negotiation process. They certainly consider a Thousand Trails membership a bonus item when closing a deal. Why is that?

Why not develop a program where campgrounds can sell membership and get rewarded for it. Have contest. 

"FMCA does have a Youtube channel. We do produce video content." Please go back and read  what I said about Youtube. Yes I know about your channel but you A) did not understand what I wrote or B ) chose to ignore or gloss over what I suggested.

Let's all move forward together.

Bill

1 hour ago, ckcarpenter42 said:

Just so everyone know the source for RV Travel post, it is in part based on information distributed last week to FMCA's Governing Board members.  It also reflects the attitude of a disgruntled competitor.

True it is also an outsiders opinion and a good segway into the discussion of what is the FMCA doing to fix the problem.

Yes the last 4 months are a problem for all of us. This isn't about this time period.

Like Herman said we all need to work at promoting FMCA. I always have handouts and membership forms available. Last fall I helped recruit and bring an entire chapter (Lone star Bounders) into the FMCA. Mostly behind the scenes but I like to think I helped.

Let's all move forward together.

Bill

3 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

True it is also an outsiders opinion and a good segway into the discussion of what is the FMCA doing to fix the problem.

Looking at membership losses, there appears to be two reasons for that. First, the dues increase caused several of our members to not renew. Many older long term members that no longer RV but wish to keep in touch with club friends are being priced out. I miss the connection to them through the club. The second reason is that for various reasons, they don't perceive the benefit of FMCAssist as worth the higher cost of the membership, either because they choose a different plan or they seldom travel far from home.

There are less expensive alternative clubs. Escapees are gaining members including younger members through their Xscapers group designed for working Rvers. They also have the tire, insurance and campground discounts. Also, they aggressively opposed the shutdown of RV parks including asking members to contact their legislature. Many Manufacturer clubs such as WIT, DOAI, and Entegra Owners remain very active.

The point being there are many alternatives to FMCA and it needs to be priced competitively too grow, Possibly an “Associate Member” status could be given at a reduced rate without the costly benefits or right to vote, but the ability to participate in rally's.

2 hours ago, deffinba said:

Looking at membership losses, there appears to be two reasons for that. First, the dues increase caused several of our members to not renew. Many older long term members that no longer RV but wish to keep in touch with club friends are being priced out. I miss the connection to them through the club. The second reason is that for various reasons, they don't perceive the benefit of FMCAssist as worth the higher cost of the membership, either because they choose a different plan or they seldom travel far from home.

There are less expensive alternative clubs. Escapees are gaining members including younger members through their Xscapers group designed for working Rvers. They also have the tire, insurance and campground discounts. Also, they aggressively opposed the shutdown of RV parks including asking members to contact their legislature. Many Manufacturer clubs such as WIT, DOAI, and Entegra Owners remain very active.

The point being there are many alternatives to FMCA and it needs to be priced competitively too grow, Possibly an “Associate Member” status could be given at a reduced rate without the costly benefits or right to vote, but the ability to participate in rally's.

WOW, I must be doing something right. This is your second post and the first one in 10 years. 

Bill

I read a letter written by I think the CEO of FMCA stating that the Club exists to provide members 1) Conventions to attend, 2) Communication and 3) Benefits. Well as for #1 I have never attended any of the Conventions. I find them to be too expensive, usually $350 for 3 nights for boon docking or $450 FHU. Yes they do have seminars to attend and entertainment but I can attend seminars online for free and the entertainment is not usually my cup of tea. I also don't like crowds. As to #2, I do read the digital magazine. It takes me about 15 min. But not really much of a benefit of membership. Again I can get the same information online Regarding #3. I did try to use the tire discount program but got a better price going direct with a tire retailer, I did try to use the glass program but got a better price from the rep directly. Guess he didn't have to pay the referral fee to Guardian. I tried to use the Insurance program but got a better quote with Geico. I did buy the roadside assistance but now they raised the premium form $69 to $74 and now $159 so I did not renew. I am full time and have no physical residence so the Medical Assist is of no value to me. Well thats 3 for 3. Now FMCA is raising its fee from $50 to $75 and now I hear $85. Not sure if I will renew. 

"txtiger", in response to your points...

I am a member of FMCA because, I enjoy belonging to an association of likemineded folks, enjoying the RV lifestyle and because,

1. I really like the conventions and attend whenever possible. I enjoy socializing like most RVers. 

2. I really enjoy the magazine and can't wait for it to arrive in my mailbox monthly.

3. I subscibe to FMCA Roadside Assistance and still think it's a deal and I am extremely thankful for "FMCA Travel Assist" in case something happens on the road. 

This all for $85 a year?

What a deal!

Renewal dues are $75. New memberships are $85. For many years new members pay more for the first year to help offset the goose egg. 

As a full timer, you are covered by FMCAssist. You may think it is no value to you, but neither is life insurance. FMCAssist will repatriate you to the location of your choice. It will transport you to the medical facility that is agreed to be the best to care for you. If you were to buy this coverage, the cost would be &115-$130/year. Or about $40 more than your renewal dues. 

I just used the glass program, the adjuster questioned why I specified that company since they were more expensive. The promotion of one year of FMCA dues payment did not appear on my account so I called them. Apparently they send a notice to FMCA to bill them for the dues when the next payment is due.  That will be in 2025 so I may not benefit from it. 

It would be interesting to see a generational study of the issues, and not just how it relates to FMCA but rather how it relates to all organizations. My suspicion is that the younger generations are not 'joiners' in nearly the same numbers as people raised in the 50s, 60s, or 70s. If my suspicions are correct and the change is beyond FMCA, then the answer can't be to continue offering just what appeals to those from earlier generations.

I once served on the board of a local non-profit - it was basically a social/recreation club that provided non-bar activities for young adults ranging from pot-lucks to card nights. Kind of like the RV lifestyle, only without the RVs. Numbers were great for decades, and then in the early 2000s we started to see a drastic reduction in new memberships. Things continued to get worse as the new generations just didn't see the need to join anything. They made their social connections totally differently, and they had no use for an organization. They could get more people to show up for an online-sourced, last-minute meet-up than we could by advertising an event for a month and doing lots of leg work to get people there.

I realize that I'm not specifically offering solutions here, but what I'm trying to do is point out that we need to know what the actual problem is before it can be solved. I don't think the problem is that what FMCA does is not good - it might just be that what FMCA is doesn't fill a need the same way it did decades ago.

2 hours ago, rossboyer said:

FMCAssist will repatriate you to the location of your choice. It will transport you to the medical facility that is agreed to be the best to care for you. If you were to buy this coverage, the cost would be &115-$130/year. Or about $40 more than your renewal dues. 

With all due respect, the fine print says that FMCAssist will take you to the nearest medical facility that can provide you adequate care.  There is no guarantee that you will be taken home.  If you're outside the US there's no obligation to get you back to the US.  Furthermore, having someone return your RV home for you is dependent on you first being approved for transport.  

Don't get me wrong, these limitations are pretty much the same for SkyMed and MASA.  That's one of the reasons I haven't bothered to subscribe to them either.  MASA appears to build its subscriber base by scaring seniors in group settings at snowbird parks.  Personally, I find that kind of marketing offensive.

Personally, I'm more likely to purchase health insurance for when we're in Canada.  Our medicare supplement covers us for $50k of coverage outside the US and that's on a reimbursable basis.  If we spend another summer up there I think I'd like to have "real" health insurance that would cover us for accidental injury and other concerns.  Of course, that assumes we're ever going to go away like that again!

While the technical wording is as you say, there are way too many cases where FMCAssist had gone the extra mile. 

You are wrong about if you are out of the country, they will take you home; and if it is your remains, they will be returned to the location of ‘your’ choice. The RV is returned to your home only limited by drivability and $5,000 max. 

But all this to no avail because you have made up your mind be it right or wrong. 

On 4/20/2020 at 11:49 AM, richard5933 said:

I think that this sums up what's a huge split in why people are members of FMCA. Some view FMCA as not much more than a discount club, while others see it as something totally different and more like a club of like-minded people. If FMCA were just a discount club, then certainly it could do with far less staff. But, that's not all it is, and providing the other functions takes more effort and more money.

Another thing that is not mentioned, but important, is the ability of an organization like FMCA to lobby on behalf of members for legislation and regulations favorable to us.

Agree 100%.  As a travel trailer owner I joined as soon as I was able.  The Travel Assist benefit was one reason I joined and also the roadside assistance deal is pretty good.  However, the main reason I joined is to contribute to a group of people that enjoys camping and an organization that supports it.  I also am a member of Good Sam but I view that as more of a discount club.

12 hours ago, rossboyer said:

While the technical wording is as you say, there are way too many cases where FMCAssist had gone the extra mile. 

You are wrong about if you are out of the country, they will take you home; and if it is your remains, they will be returned to the location of ‘your’ choice. The RV is returned to your home only limited by drivability and $5,000 max. 

If you choose to believe that insurance companies routinely pay benefits beyond their stated policy documents, I'll never convince you otherwise.  But for those who believe that insurance companies only pay what they're obligated to pay.  I've attached the words from the Travel Assist policy (as written by Lloyds) which describe the medical evacuation benefit.  As I previously stated the requirement is to take the patient to the closest medical facility at which an appropriate level of care can be provided. 

As for FMCA having "gone the extra mile" for some people, that may possibly be true (although I'd want to see evidence, not anecdotal recollections), but, if it is, it's something that FMCA did outside the coverage provided by its insurance policy and, therefore, can't be assumed to be a benefit available to others in the future.

I find it interesting that on the FMCA website the full benefits description is only available if you log in, which is a Catch-22 way of saying "you can't see the member benefits unless you're a member!"  Fortunately, the company that actually runs Travel Assist posts the benefits here:  FMCA Travel Assist

fmca.png

Someone mentioned another benefit I was unaware of, "FMCA retains lobbyist on behalf of we RV'ers". I've never heard of a piece of legislation coming out of Washington due to FMCA lobbyist. 

Is this factual? Smitty, can you comment please? 

DocJ, I just read your post and like you I've never seen an insurance company provide anymore than they are contractually obligated to and often its a battle to get them to cover what they have agreed to.

Ross, I guess my mind is made up to to believe what their contract says rather than what you say...right or wrong.

6 minutes ago, elkhartjim said:

I want to apologize in advance, I'm really not trying to stir the pot.  But, is it just me, or does anyone else think it's funny the CEO of FMCA does not own a RV?!

4 hours ago, elkhartjim said:

Someone mentioned another benefit I was unaware of, "FMCA retains lobbyist on behalf of we RV'ers". I've never heard of a piece of legislation coming out of Washington due to FMCA lobbyist. 

Is this factual? Smitty, can you comment please? 

That was me - I wrote earlier "Another thing that is not mentioned, but important, is the ability of an organization like FMCA to lobby on behalf of members for legislation and regulations favorable to us." Lobbying for legislation beneficial to the motor home and RV world has long been a purpose of FMCA and other organizations like it. The fact that there is an exception to many vehicle and driver licensing laws for owners of RVs is due in part to this type of lobbying effort.

Here is a quote from FMCA's website:

FMCA's purpose

The purpose of FMCA is to organize social activities, exchange RV information, and supply benefits made possible, in part, by collective purchasing. The interest of the Association also extends into the area of political and legislative action. FMCA supports recreation programs and the legal rights of RV owners.