On two different occasions, since l have been a member, there was voting by all members. The ballots were printed in the magazine and members were given three months to send in their ballots. Each time less than 8% of the Membership voted. There is no way of knowing but I would guess that the majority of those that voted were members of a chapter.

Herman 

I might have said it before, but it's worth repeating...

If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got.

Lots of good ideas have been presented on this thread about ways to bring in new members, ways to improve participation, and ways to help FMCA transition into an organization that can offer future generations what they will need. Hopefully someone in leadership is taking notes.

I spent my 52 year professional career attending and sitting in business meeting and expect to spent my RV retirement years avoiding even the semblance of another one.  

The structure of FMCA appears to be similar to that we find in our government , one can be a citizen of the country but must still join a political party to cast a vote.   Not that its wrong for a country's government but is it really necessary for a RV club?

For something as simple as RVers enjoying fellowship among themselves there should be no need for bored (pun intended ) meetings.   Allow FMCA members to fraternize and have their localized fellowships of interest without requiring them be structured as businesses in order to have a voice in FMCA's business..  Why require them to join a political party ( chapter) to have a voice in the FMCA organization?   Overly control spoils the fun.  Life is hard enough why make belonging to a RV club so?

My Auto, Home and Health insurance company sends me a ballot each year to vote on the board of directors and all I have to do to qualify is pay a $25.00 membership fee.   How simple is that?   I suspect their budget and overhead may be a few hundred times that of FMCA.   Why make a mountain out of a mole hill?

Simple is better.  Why make work and employment, for a few at the expense of many, when it is unnecessary?

Just saying.....

Edited by charlieiam

2 hours ago, charlieiam said:

The structure of FMCA appears to be similar to that we find in our government , one can be a citizen of the country but must still join a political party to cast a vote.   Not that its wrong for a country's government but is it really necessary for a RV club?

Even among the 50 states, not all require membership in a party to vote. Not all states require this - you just show up an vote for whomever you wish. I like the parallel here - if you want to vote in the state's (chapter) election, you've got to be a citizen of the state (chapter). But, everyone gets to vote in the national election.

On 11/19/2020 at 10:00 AM, hermanmullins said:

On two different occasions, since l have been a member, there was voting by all members. The ballots were printed in the magazine and members were given three months to send in their ballots. Each time less than 8% of the Membership voted. There is no way of knowing but I would guess that the majority of those that voted were members of a chapter.

Herman 

I was a member for the last one, it was the only time I got to vote in FMCA. At least everyone had the opportunity to vote.

Edited by rayin

On 11/19/2020 at 9:00 AM, hermanmullins said:

...There is no way of knowing but I would guess that the majority of those that voted were members of a chapter.

Herman 

I think it would be interesting to see the math on this one, and it would be an easy question for Dan or anyone in membership to answer. Just a simple database query. It was the only time I've been allowed to cast a vote as a member since I joined.

Richard, today, from what I have learned..20% (I believe it's more, because total membership is different from active membership)! You can count the same F# 4 times (F# with S, D, GS, GD at end of #), I have seen GGS on one, this summer in CO. on a 5'er!

I have not seen recent figures, but it was 24% belonged to one or more chapters. They didn’t count for each chapter the member belonged. 

“P” is also used for plates which is parent. 

With chapter membership rates that low, then I would say that my thoughts on the subject should have pretty high importance for a lot more people.

Really - only 20-24% of FMCA members get to vote on how things are run at the national level? Why doesn't this bother more people?

Sorry, but I find it really bizarre that in all these years the national leadership hasn't found it necessary to find a way to involve the other 76-80% of the membership in things like voting for our national leadership. No wonder things feel like an old boys' club sometimes.

Suspect it's like the normal 80-20 experience in many organizations. 20% contribute operationally to the organization goals and purpose, 80% members but preferring to pay dues based on their perceived economic benefits received and more or less stay in the shadows...... 

Have no idea how many of the 80% non-chapter members serve on committees, volunteer at rallies, or seek other ways to help organizations they are not satisfied with - would offer that as one way to gain support for their views.  

Interesting point...I have found that on a Area and National level, all volunteers are members of a Chapter!  

I display my Goose Egg, but not my GS or Escapees.  Most GS and the same with Escapees,  are FMCA members, but don't display it.

Ross, I also forgot about the L# !  Then you have members who are both F# and C# !  Members who have L# and a different F# and F#, L# with the same # !  Confused yet? :blink::wacko:

Edited by manholt

I am a Life member of Good Sam and Passport America.  I was a member of Escapee until I made the mistake of questioning a decision made by the leadership and got banned.   John 3:19  

I do not belong to any FMCA chapter... there are none in my area.   I did get to vote for the Amendment to the By-Laws to allow the inclusion of all RV types.   Being a Life Member of two other RV clubs that include all RV types I chose to join this one because of its reputation of being a Family Motor Coach Association.  It was short lived due to my joining shortly before the change in the By-Laws which did I not support.  I have no objection toward any RV type as evidenced by my Lifetime Membership in two clubs that include all types.

I am still learning the ropes here at FMCA and I get the impression that the leadership is isolated behind a firewall.   Perhaps that is good if the goal is to retain a set goal of remaining exclusively a Motor Coach Association.    That goal is no longer desired ( to be an exclusive club ) and perhaps now it would benefit the new association of RVers to allow all registered members to vote in the election of their board of Directors.  Folks in the USA are used to being in control of their leadership as evident in "We The People."

Just saying.

I might be who you're talking about... ?

I'm in my 40s, an early retiree (software development). My husband and I are now full timers, in a Class C, with our 10 year old whom we homeschool.

We joined FMCA today. Here are my thoughts.

It wasn't in our original plan to join FMCA. I first heard of you guys when Xscapers Chris Dunphy and Cherie Ve Ard of Technomadia put out a YouTube video about memberships they use and don't use. Among the things they use is your roadside assistance. My husband and I were already AAA members, so I didn't investigate further. But we were watching Chris and Cherie's videos in the first place because our #2 priority (after safety) is inexpensive mobile internet.

THAT is why we joined today. I read a post in the Fulltime Families (to which we also belong) Facebook group that mentioned TechConnect+. I asked someone who's been using it some questions. His answers pleased me. So my husband and I are giving it, and FMCA generally, a go.

I don't agree with the post that young people aren't joiners. We just join primarily online. Meetups come afterward for my family.

Things that would attract us to a membership group (besides the unicorn of cheap unlimited internet, which is AMAZING... spend more ad money on THAT, with young YouTubers who are full time on the road. Seriously! You'll double your numbers in no time. EVERYBODY wants that service):

* Meetups arranged around an outdoor physical activity like hiking, climbing, or white water rafting. A whole lot of RV meetups appear to be just sitting and talking, with an occasional tour thrown in. To young active families who are used to the constant dopamine hits they get from being on electronics most of the day, that sounds as appealing as watching paint dry. We're not going to just sit around and stare at each other and discuss black tank issues. Adrenaline needs to be engaged.

* Regular online meetups with like-minded people via Zoom or something like it. And for Pete's sake, include more than the usual geographic groups, Christian service groups and knitting circles.

* Ways, online and off, for children to connect with other children. Fulltime Families has a Minecraft server for members' kids only, for example. What about an archery club, lessons on catapult building with a contest at the end, or a laser tag challenge?

* Access to service opportunities. People who can't give money, can frequently give time. We are currently doing hurricane cleanup in Lake Charles, but in order to do it we needed a contact. Established groups like the Red Cross won't take people with children in tow because of liability issues. A liaison who can put us in touch with community groups/members in struggling areas who'd like our help is what we need.

* Access to boondocking spots that are not public, especially in the Eastern half of the US where BLM land is so scarce. Again, younger fulltime RVers, working or not, are probably not rich. This would be a huge help.

* Access to a mentor who's been on the road 10+ years. When we first got our RV we did SO many stupid things that good advice could have prevented. Surprise! The internet doesn't know everything.

* Specifically, discounts to parks in areas where most or all of the surrounding parks are 55+. Those kill us. I do get wanting to be near your tribe, but the rest of us gotta go somewhere. Arizona and Florida, I'm looking at you...

* Discounts on methods of package delivery, and detailed instructions about how and where to receive packages on the road.

* A curated video library of common problems and how to fix them. Point to existing YouTube or Vimeo content. It would be awesome to have a central catalog for that info.

* Information about any and all discounts we can get just by asking for them. And I mean, from ALL parks, retailers, etc. that would be of interest to RVers.

Some of this would cost nothing but manpower. 

Just some food for thought.

On 12/3/2020 at 5:41 PM, Glenn_Kathryn said:

Meetups arranged around an outdoor physical activity like hiking, climbing, or white water rafting. A whole lot of RV meetups appear to be just sitting and talking, with an occasional tour thrown in. To young active families who are used to the constant dopamine hits they get from being on electronics most of the day, that sounds as appealing as watching paint dry. We're not going to just sit around and stare at each other and discuss black tank issues. Adrenaline needs to be engaged.

I think this is a big one, but not limited to just the younger age (not that I'm old :) ).  My wife and I are 60 (I'm soon to be 61), and I am retiring next year.  We use our camper a good bit and always associated with some form of activity.  We may camp a lot at Disney World (where my wife retired), which entails a lot of walking and then onto state parks and National Parks where we love to hike.  Usually during a week to 10 day long camping trip we may hike 80 to 100 miles, especially at a park like the Smoky Mountains.  That said, we do like to set days aside to enjoy the camper and the campground; so we're a combination.  I do find interest in the technical side of campers, but our focus is on staying active in the outdoors.  

Edited by djsamuel

On 4/21/2020 at 8:49 PM, docj said:

With all due respect, the fine print says that FMCAssist will take you to the nearest medical facility that can provide you adequate care.  There is no guarantee that you will be taken home.  If you're outside the US there's no obligation to get you back to the US.  Furthermore, having someone return your RV home for you is dependent on you first being approved for transport.  

Don't get me wrong, these limitations are pretty much the same for SkyMed and MASA.  That's one of the reasons I haven't bothered to subscribe to them either.  MASA appears to build its subscriber base by scaring seniors in group settings at snowbird parks.  Personally, I find that kind of marketing offensive.

Personally, I'm more likely to purchase health insurance for when we're in Canada.  Our medicare supplement covers us for $50k of coverage outside the US and that's on a reimbursable basis.  If we spend another summer up there I think I'd like to have "real" health insurance that would cover us for accidental injury and other concerns.  Of course, that assumes we're ever going to go away like that again!

I can't answer for MASA, but SkyMed truly IS different.  Directly from the SkyMed Member Service Agreement:

If, as a result of a serious or critical illness or injury, a Member requires emergency medical
care, SkyMed guarantees provision of:
• By choice of the Member, air transportation and medical services needed to move
the Member to the Member’s Transport Preference as designated on the Membership
application form; or
• By choice of the Member, emergency medical air transportation to a hospital closer
than the Member’s Home hospital as designated on the Membership application form
and/or in the Member’s Membership record at SkyMed.
The Member’s medical condition must be stabilized for air travel by the attending physician.

So SkyMed TRULY has a take you home guarantee without "medical necessity".

On 8/2/2020 at 2:41 PM, manholt said:

White Eagle, I do believe you hit the nail on the head.

After 53 years and now 77. I'm still going to be here!  So many memories, so many Chapters that are no more, now we are members of two Chapters and Six State rally for South Central Area!

I'm a brand new member with a 2012 RT. Two things convinced me to join:  forums where I can ask questions and the Assist insurance. I'm 81, my companion 84, so the transportation in case of accident/illness is VERY appealing. The cost was not a deterrent at all. In addition to a few week-long camping trips, I go on a 10,000+ miles of back road rambling each fall. This year, my 5th in a row, will be Oregon to NYC returning through the midwest. The last 4 trips have been on freeways a total of about 300 miles.  All who wander are not lost.

On 12/3/2020 at 2:41 PM, Glenn_Kathryn said:

I might be who you're talking about... ?

I'm in my 40s, an early retiree (software development). My husband and I are now full timers, in a Class C, with our 10 year old whom we homeschool.

We joined FMCA today. Here are my thoughts.

It wasn't in our original plan to join FMCA. I first heard of you guys when Xscapers Chris Dunphy and Cherie Ve Ard of Technomadia put out a YouTube video about memberships they use and don't use. Among the things they use is your roadside assistance. My husband and I were already AAA members, so I didn't investigate further. But we were watching Chris and Cherie's videos in the first place because our #2 priority (after safety) is inexpensive mobile internet.

THAT is why we joined today. I read a post in the Fulltime Families (to which we also belong) Facebook group that mentioned TechConnect+. I asked someone who's been using it some questions. His answers pleased me. So my husband and I are giving it, and FMCA generally, a go.

I don't agree with the post that young people aren't joiners. We just join primarily online. Meetups come afterward for my family.

Things that would attract us to a membership group (besides the unicorn of cheap unlimited internet, which is AMAZING... spend more ad money on THAT, with young YouTubers who are full time on the road. Seriously! You'll double your numbers in no time. EVERYBODY wants that service):

* Meetups arranged around an outdoor physical activity like hiking, climbing, or white water rafting. A whole lot of RV meetups appear to be just sitting and talking, with an occasional tour thrown in. To young active families who are used to the constant dopamine hits they get from being on electronics most of the day, that sounds as appealing as watching paint dry. We're not going to just sit around and stare at each other and discuss black tank issues. Adrenaline needs to be engaged.

* Regular online meetups with like-minded people via Zoom or something like it. And for Pete's sake, include more than the usual geographic groups, Christian service groups and knitting circles.

* Ways, online and off, for children to connect with other children. Fulltime Families has a Minecraft server for members' kids only, for example. What about an archery club, lessons on catapult building with a contest at the end, or a laser tag challenge?

* Access to service opportunities. People who can't give money, can frequently give time. We are currently doing hurricane cleanup in Lake Charles, but in order to do it we needed a contact. Established groups like the Red Cross won't take people with children in tow because of liability issues. A liaison who can put us in touch with community groups/members in struggling areas who'd like our help is what we need.

* Access to boondocking spots that are not public, especially in the Eastern half of the US where BLM land is so scarce. Again, younger fulltime RVers, working or not, are probably not rich. This would be a huge help.

* Access to a mentor who's been on the road 10+ years. When we first got our RV we did SO many stupid things that good advice could have prevented. Surprise! The internet doesn't know everything.

* Specifically, discounts to parks in areas where most or all of the surrounding parks are 55+. Those kill us. I do get wanting to be near your tribe, but the rest of us gotta go somewhere. Arizona and Florida, I'm looking at you...

* Discounts on methods of package delivery, and detailed instructions about how and where to receive packages on the road.

* A curated video library of common problems and how to fix them. Point to existing YouTube or Vimeo content. It would be awesome to have a central catalog for that info.

* Information about any and all discounts we can get just by asking for them. And I mean, from ALL parks, retailers, etc. that would be of interest to RVers.

Some of this would cost nothing but manpower. 

Just some food for thought.

I'm in my 80s and fully agree. Add a comprehensive list of reliable repair facilities state-by-state.

There is a listing of service centers by categories in the January Issue of Family RVing. However it isn't, to my knowledge, in state by state order. I will speak with the folk and see if such a listing can be generated.  Thank you for your suggestion.

Herman

John10ey, Here is what FMCA has for all types of RV Services. www.fmca.com/rvmarketplace. The brake down is by services. So you look to what type of service you need then you have a smaller group of companies go though but it isn't in state order. 

Herman

Well hear we are, over a year down the road. Still no answer from John Walker or anyone else on the governing board. Yes Jon Walker had a event talking about improvements but I couldn't get in on the format he was using and got no reply from the emails or text I sent.

I kind of miss the people posting using profiles created years ago and never used. The first post was to derogate something posted hear. 😅 We wish DB well in his new job.

I think the future does lay with the new people getting into the RV life and all those goin full time. Why can people on You tube have nearly 100 people show up just to see their new RV? 

Because they offer information to the newbie's. 

Bill