tireman9

Testing your TPMS?

We all have a little extra time so here is a suggestion. I posted this on my Blog last week but I know that not all of you read the blog so here is the info.

Testing your TPMS.  I bet almost none of you have tested your TPMS.

This should be done at least once a year. Some nice afternoon when you have nice weather with your traveling companion in the driver seat. AND when you have access to air of high enough pressure to top-off your tires. Go to each tire and unscrew the external sensor and have the person in the driver seat let you know that they can see and hear the warning for each tire position.  you don't even have to completely remove the sensor. You might even jot down the pressure level for each tire to confirm it is where you think it should be. Just unscrew the sensor enough to hear air leaking out. As soon as the monitor in the cab sounds you can screw the sensor back in to stop the air leak. Once you know that every sensor works you then need to go around and add back in the 5 psi or so that leaked out.
Doing this will also confirm you have your low pressure warning level set properly as the warning should go off as soon as you lose about 5 psi. I cover how I suggest you set your warning levels in THIS post.

Some have suggested that since they get pressure and temperature numbers on the monitor that means the TPMS is forking. Well, if you think about it there must be three different circuits in the sensor. One for Pressure, one for Temperature and one to compare or even calculate a pressure loss. Just getting readings of current Pressure or Temperature does not mean the pressure loss system is working or that the low pressure warning level is where you may think it is.

Also when done adding air give each connection a spritz of Wiindex or soapy water or similar to confirm no air leaks.

"Hey, Lets be Careful Out There"

You can carry the sensor with you outside and then don't need a second person inside to help you. As a solo we figure out ways to do things alone, lol lol lol

8 minutes ago, txtiger said:

You can carry the sensor with you outside and then don't need a second person inside to help you. As a solo we figure out ways to do things alone, lol lol lol

Assume you meant monitor.

15 hours ago, txtiger said:

Yes that can work as long as you never get a drepped signal at the driver seat.

On 4/22/2020 at 9:29 AM, tireman9 said:

Yes that can work as long as you never get a drepped signal at the driver seat.

Huh? 

You lost your bet with me at least. I can easily carry my TST monitor to each wheel position on my 45 foot coach and my toad while hooked up without dropping a signal. 

13 minutes ago, elkhartjim said:

Huh? 

You lost your bet with me at least. I can easily carry my TST monitor to each wheel position on my 45 foot coach and my toad while hooked up without dropping a signal. 

If you carry your monitor arouund to each tire you will probably always get the warning as the signal from the sensor is usually strong enough to travel a few feet.  However if your monitor is up front in your large Class-A with various levels of wood and metal between the sensor and the monitor, I can't guarantee that the warning of air loss signal will always get to the monitor.  Hope that is clear enough. 😁

Sounds to me you need a better TPMS. If I should lose a signal I get an indication of that. Maybe you should install a repeater if you're losing a signal in such a small RV.

1 hour ago, elkhartjim said:

Sounds to me you need a better TPMS. If I should lose a signal I get an indication of that. Maybe you should install a repeater if you're losing a signal in such a small RV.

Most have a booster in the rear outside of the coach not to boost signal but to overcome E.F. noise.  

Mine is in

16 minutes ago, huffypuff said:

Most have a booster in the rear outside of the coach not to boost signal but to overcome E.F. noise.  

Mine is in the rear closet even though I really don't need it. I tested it one day and the monitor will pick up the sensors from 78 feet without the booster. 

1 hour ago, elkhartjim said:

Mine is in

Mine is in the rear closet even though I really don't need it. I tested it one day and the monitor will pick up the sensors from 78 feet without the booster. 

I talked to a tech at tireminder and looked at the manual at they want it under the coach behind the rear axle.  Look at page 7 of this manual.  

https://www.minderresearch.com/content/PDFs/TireMinder-i10-Manual-English.pdf

1 hour ago, huffypuff said:

That was how I got away with no booster, low E.F. noise due to the age of my coach. We run EEZ TIRE. 

Mine is programmed in to the SilverLeaf computer and the screen is not removable!  I only use the Tire Pressure, Temp=0.