Sign in to follow this  
templeandgary

Water Filters

Hello,

I have a question about in-line water filters.  My I have a new Entegra Class a Diesel and it has two water filters built in to the coach.  I think one is for the water in the coach and one is for the Fresh Water holding tank?  Not 100% sure but my question is about the necessity or benefit of adding an additional in line water filter after the regulator on the campground hook up.  Recently, I was camping and saw several similar coaches that were using the inline filters along with the ones provided with their coach.  Is this overkill/necessary or just added security?  Is there a benefit?  I don't mind spending the money, just not a fan of wasting it.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gary

Gary, I do not use a filter for using Camp Ground water or for filling my water storage tank. I have a double inline filter setup  in our coach. One is a charcoal filter and I am not sure what the second is called. We are not full timers but do use the coach many times all year long. We use to water for making coffee, washing dishes, and showering. We drink bottled water because we can keep it cold. I change the filters twice a year.

Herman

Don't know the set up on your particular coach, but it is common to use a 5 micron SEDIMENT ONLY filter for all water going into the coach.  Though it is usually not harmful to people, the sediment found in a lot of well water can clog up plumbing and be deposited in the water heater. It is NOT a good idea to install a charcoal filter here, as you do not want to remove the chlorine from water you will be storing in the potable water tank.

Most coaches have only the single water inlet that can then be directed by a valve to either just provide water to the house or to the potable water tank.

It is fine to have a charcoal filter "post pump". Removing chlorine, etc just before use is fine.

Many coaches have just that arrangement, a sediment only filter in the wet bay and a charcoal filter under the sink for drinking, ice maker, etc.

Thanks everyone. This all makes a lot of sense.  I have two different water filters in my Wet Bay.  One is a Flow Pur 3 charcoal Cartridge and one is a Flow Pur 8, probably a sediment cartridge.  I will have to check next time I am at the rig. 

I do have one water inlet with a valve that allows me to fill the fresh water tank and then switch back to the house water.

Thanks for the helpful explanation!

4 hours ago, templeandgary said:

Thanks everyone. This all makes a lot of sense.  I have two different water filters in my Wet Bay.  One is a Flow Pur 3 charcoal Cartridge and one is a Flow Pur 8, probably a sediment cartridge.  I will have to check next time I am at the rig. 

I do have one water inlet with a valve that allows me to fill the fresh water tank and then switch back to the house water.

Thanks for the helpful explanation!

I have found it very helpful to run some water out of the campground spicket before hooking up anything.I have often seen big slugs of nasty rust and sediment come out. Better on the ground than in my filters or tanks.

Bill

8 hours ago, templeandgary said:

Hello,

I have a question about in-line water filters.  My I have a new Entegra Class a Diesel and it has two water filters built in to the coach.  I think one is for the water in the coach and one is for the Fresh Water holding tank?  Not 100% sure but my question is about the necessity or benefit of adding an additional in line water filter after the regulator on the campground hook up.  Recently, I was camping and saw several similar coaches that were using the inline filters along with the ones provided with their coach.  Is this overkill/necessary or just added security?  Is there a benefit?  I don't mind spending the money, just not a fan of wasting it.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gary

I had to install the filters on my new coach because of CV-19.  The small filter to the right is a 1 micro for the small faust at the sink.  You notice a shut off valve just below left of the filter.  The larger filter to the left is to filter the water coming into the fresh water tank.  Never hurt to have the charcoal filter at the beginning of the hose. There is also a filter inside the refrigerator for the icemaker and through the door water.  

7 hours ago, wolfe10 said:

Don't know the set up on your particular coach, but it is common to use a 5 micron SEDIMENT ONLY filter for all water going into the coach.  Though it is usually not harmful to people, the sediment found in a lot of well water can clog up plumbing and be deposited in the water heater. It is NOT a good idea to install a charcoal filter here, as you do not want to remove the chlorine from water you will be storing in the potable water tank.

Most coaches have only the single water inlet that can then be directed by a valve to either just provide water to the house or to the potable water tank.

It is fine to have a charcoal filter "post pump". Removing chlorine, etc just before use is fine.

Many coaches have just that arrangement, a sediment only filter in the wet bay and a charcoal filter under the sink for drinking, ice maker, etc.

If someone drinks from fresh tank they may not like the taste of chlorine.  

40 minutes ago, huffypuff said:

If someone drinks from fresh tank they may not like the taste of chlorine.  

Agree.  That is why our coaches all had a second filter (carbon) under the sink.

20 minutes ago, wolfe10 said:

Agree.  That is why our coaches all had a second filter (carbon) under the sink.

The carbon under the sink usually just for the small faucet at the sink but not hot and cold water.  In my previous coach it didn't do the ice maker which would allow chlorine in your drinks.  I don't think it hurts to use the extra filter as fresh water tank gets dumped when not in use.  I been doing that for 10 years and never had a problem with fresh water tank smelling or anything similar.    

23 hours ago, wolfe10 said:

Ours too. It's an EverPure carbon filter for drinking water and ice maker. Of course we use drinking water in the Kureg coffee maker. This system is designed for full-time use, so one filter lasts all year for us. This filter may last 2 years, if I remember to remove it and store in the freezer until needed again-whenever that may be.