jleamont

Monaco S-series airbag replacement

Probably not for most to tackle on their own. Tight work space but otherwise fairly easy for the front. Haven’t started the rear yet...

EE13F387-3BAF-45C3-92C4-868B90ADCED6.jpeg

FCFC3C05-7BC8-4E7E-84AB-0979D164F76E.jpeg

DC2FCF41-22ED-4E45-9170-E21908B2A0AC.jpeg

I called it quits for the day with wrapping up the front. The rear looks like I might have to pull the wheels to conquer. It took about an hour per airbag to replace.

Bill no leaks but they were deteriorated from age and getting hit with road debris. The rears don’t look 1/2 as bad but I will replace them also.

8 Airbags

Joe,

Are side panels around the wheels hinged? Did you remove front wheels to provide better access? 

My coach is about the same age as your, what you see doesn't look bad, it's the part't that I cant see is what worries me.

Jim

Joe, I went through the same actions last year, I replaced all 8 and it is almost a must to pull the rears, both drive and tag axel. Some of my bolts were so rusty that I used a smoke wrench to remove them. Hope yours are easier. By the way, I replaced all 8 shocks at the same time.

2 hours ago, F433921 said:

Are side panels around the wheels hinged? Did you remove front wheels to provide better access? 

No they are not. You have to brace the H-frame to the Semi Monocoque frame above it, lower the suspension unhook there air lines to the bags. Access was a bit tricky, most work was done reaching around the tire but some was done underneath sitting and swinging a ratchet wrench blind. 
if the wheels were off it would be easier but the risk dramatically increases. Being our driveway is asphalt I don’t trust stands to hold all of that weight.

Preventive  maintenance = a good thing. 

How about some plywood pads under the jack stands?

It would be easier on my RV if the wheels were off. I may change the shocks next year and will probably have someone pull the tiers off. 

Tag.jpg

thumbnail rear suspension.jpg

51 minutes ago, jleamont said:

Just wrapped it all up. Rear is complete! 

Did you remove the wheels?

Jim

2 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

I will be up the middle of June and you can show me how to do it as I watch.:rolleyes:

Herman

Funny, when I was done I thought to myself wonder how old the bags are in Herman’s coach :lol:

2 hours ago, F433921 said:

Did you remove the wheels?

Jim

Just the outer rear duals, installed 5 lug nuts just Incase my jack stand sunk and tried to dump the coach.

Follow up, 3 days has passed and the coach hasn't sagged, still holding is position from Sunday. Time to write this one off in the books as a success! 

As usual, job well done!  Mine are good, but I'm going to have shocks look at...too much lean on tight corners.  My AC was on the Spartan K-2, nothing moved in coach while traveling.  This is the K-3 chassis and everything moves!  

1 minute ago, manholt said:

ne are good, but I'm going to have shocks look at

To my surprise some of my shocks were newer (3 of them) all Bilstein and I had to remove them for access to the air bags, NO problems with any of them. They still had a lot of resistance (no fun to collapse for installation). I manually compressed each on on the ground, they extended rapidly once I took my weight off of them and they were smooth. I put them all back on!

5 minutes ago, hermanmullins said:

Joe would you do it again and this time take videos so Carl, myself and other will know how to change out an airbag.:rolleyes:

Herman

You must become one with the machine, literally! I had my entire body stuffed up on those wheel wells to reach the mounting hardware behind those bags :wacko:

2 hours ago, manholt said:

As usual, job well done!  Mine are good, but I'm going to have shocks look at...too much lean on tight corners.  My AC was on the Spartan K-2, nothing moved in coach while traveling.  This is the K-3 chassis and everything moves!  

Carl, Do you know who's air ride system was installed in your chassis?

Rich.

For future reference should anyone stumble upon this post and need Roadmaster chassis Identification information here are some good documents;

Monaco VIN decoder.JPG

2001-2001 Roadmaster chassis description.JPG

Rich, I'll get it, they are really big!  :P  Found everything but...2 Bilstein gas-pressurized in front & 6 in rear, no info on air bags!  GVWR=54,000, GCWR=69,000.

Herman, my bags are way bigger than anything I have had  before, would not even attempt to remove one!   

4 hours ago, manholt said:

Rich, I'll get it, they are really big!  :P  Found everything but...2 Bilstein gas-pressurized in front & 6 in rear, no info on air bags!  GVWR=54,000, GCWR=69,000.

Herman, my bags are way bigger than anything I have had  before, would not even attempt to remove one!   

Are they bigger than the ones in the picture I posted?

Bill