studebrucer

Dometic slide awning tension adjustment

I have a 2014 Venatna LE, with Dometic slide toppers. the topper on my widest slide has loosened . it is noisy in the wind and I am worried about it tearing. I have contacted Dometc and they were no help.I have viewed videos on You Tube, but they cover replacement. Seems it should be easy enough to adjust the tension. Can anyone offer a "How To"

I have used the following procedure to tension mine:

1. Open slide 6"-10"

2. Rotate roller tube to align holes to lock roller in place(3/16" diameter phillips screw driver works fine)

3, Remove end cap on opposite end of tube from where tube is locked in place

4. Disengage end bracket from tube

5. Rotate end bracket to increase spring tension as needed (usually a couple of turns will do the job)

6.Reverse steps to complete job.

Jim

On my Carefree slide awning there are two arms on the awning, one on each end. Facing the awning the arm on the left has the rewind spring. Loosen the left arm, pull it out just enough to clear the slide. Be very careful there is a lot of tension on the arm. With great ease turn the arm counter clock wise. One turn may give you the desired tension. if not turn arm one more turn. This should increase the tension on the Awning.

Herman

2 hours ago, F433921 said:

I have used the following procedure to tension mine:

1. Open slide 6"-10"

2. Rotate roller tube to align holes to lock roller in place(3/16" diameter phillips screw driver works fine)

3, Remove end cap on opposite end of tube from where tube is locked in place

4. Disengage end bracket from tube

5. Rotate end bracket to increase spring tension as needed (usually a couple of turns will do the job)

6.Reverse steps to complete job.

Jim

The leverage on the end bracket you will be turning is not very long, but it doesn't take much effort.  I always wear a pair of work gloves, just us caution and not let go of the bracket.

Jim

Don't know about Dometic, but Carefree  has all their manuals on a web site that you can down load.