elangsdon

Advice on 1st time Motorhome purchase.

My parents spend the winter in Florida from after Christmas to first of April.  They don't like to drive anymore and my dad has a compromised immune system and COPD.  This year they flew down the end of December and instead of flying back with this Covid-19 fiasco.  I rented a Class C motor home and drove down and picked them up for the return.  We brought back another couple from our hometown that were in the same situation.

My dad and I were talking that it would be nice to do this every year.  Our thoughts are to drive them down to their retirement community, which by the way has 200 temporary spots to hook up RV's and park the RV there and rent it out for the three or four months they are at the park and I fly back to Ohio.

The question is what would be my best option for an RV that someone would want to live in for four months?  I have already concluded that a class A would be the most comfortable with 2 or 3 slides.  What make, drive train, etc. are recommended by everyone?  I will most likely buy a used unit first and see how it goes for a few years.  I will use the unit during the summer and fall for vacations myself.  It sounds like a win/win for my parents and me.

Thanks in advance, Eric

Ericfc L.  Welcome to the Forum! 😀

Interesting question!  Since your going to use the coach for Summer/Fall, I would buy a used one that suits you, but at the same time will satisfy your parents needs.  Will your parents be spending most of their time in the retirement center?  Eating in coach or RC?  Whether you buy a used 34' Gas Class A, or a used Diesel Pusher, all depends on what you can afford.  You rented a Class C...that also might be the way to go, they come in 28' Gas to 45' Super C Diesel. 

1 hour ago, manholt said:

Ericfc L.  Welcome to the Forum! 😀

Interesting question!  Since your going to use the coach for Summer/Fall, I would buy a used one that suits you, but at the same time will satisfy your parents needs.  Will your parents be spending most of their time in the retirement center?  Eating in coach or RC?  Whether you buy a used 34' Gas Class A, or a used Diesel Pusher, all depends on what you can afford.  You rented a Class C...that also might be the way to go, they come in 28' Gas to 45' Supper C Diesel. 

My parents are not going to be staying in this coach.  They will rent it out in the same park they have their park model.  I am looking for experience from you and others on who makes the best coach and drive trains and not make a mistake looking at price all the time.  This unit will get used like a home for 4 months out of the year and recreational travel a couple times a year the rest of the time.  I know it will need to have a slide in living room and bedroom for sure so older people can navigate and live comfortably.  It will be driven around 3000-4000 miles a year.

Having older folks with (potentially) no experience with an RV staying in it for months would, IMO, sure rule out a newer, more complex RV.

I think it would be easier to rent out the Park Model and have your parents stay in the RV. It is more difficult to rent out a stationary RV than a Park Model. Hundreds of Park Models are rented out for the winter season in FL and are in great demand. Now if the RV was going to be used by someone who wanted to travel in it that is a different story, but there is not much demand for a rental on a stationary RV. Also the ware and tair of an RV will be significantly greater than renting out the Park Model. 

As you stated, buy used. Previous owners have pretty much taken care of major problems.

Will the park allow a 5th wheel. Less maintenance, a little more room when considering that everything from the seats forward in a MH is wasted space except when you are driving. Whatever you are comfortable with.  Floor plan is a big decision for us.

Eric, 

I think it is commendable on you for doing this for your parents. Have you thought of buying the RV you would like and just driving your parents down to Florida and have them stay in the same place or place of their choise then going down in the RV and bring them home in comfort. A house or condo should be level with no high steps and there is nothing to remember like dumping and getting propane. 

Herman 

Eric, I re read everything.  All your parents wan't is a round trip ride in a RV...you on the other hand do not wish to make 2 R/T, so you figure to make some cash by renting it out in FL., nothing wrong with that, but as txtiger said, Park models rent, not Class C or Class A coaches and I don't think your parents want to move from their current unit into a coach...I would not and I'm 77!

Eric, what part of Florida is the park model in? I think is probably a good idea and commend you for thinking enough of your parents to care. I would recommend a good well cared for diesel pusher for what you are wanting to do. I would suggest about 2000 through 2007 model years both for value and for the fact that these years are pre DEF and much easier to maintain since you have no previous experience with a coach. Almost any brand that suits you and your needs, and as stated above most kinks have been ironed out by a previous owner especially on these models. Have someone that is experienced with motorhomes to help you make a decision about the purchase before blindly buying one. P.S. diesel units can stand longer periods of non driving than gas units, this the main reason that I recommend diesel over gas, diesel fuel does need biocides added for long periods, whereas gasoline with ethanol just doesn't sit around well.

Keep in mind, commercial insurance for renting-out the RV might  be to high to make this proposition viable. Most private RV policies do not cover a commercial venture like renting it out. I'm not  trying to be a wet-blanket, just a fact to consider.