kc559moho

D.p.hot air on e-bikes ?

2 hours ago, huffypuff said:

Short run no, long run you bet.  

I have been removing the batter, makes it a much easier to load on bike rack.  Never every thought about overheating any bike components.  The drive motor and electronics are not directly in the main air flow.

Is there anything to worry about?

Thanks for the input...I think a deflector may be wise . I read a blog about a motorcycle on a hyd. lift and he said seat material got pretty soft after climbing in 100 + degrees  so he pulled over for a cool down. I think he said bike was about 2' away from grill.

Air, exiting a rear radiator DP will be a lot hotter than  120 degrees F. 

A deflector??? With the CFM coming out of the back of most DP's where are you going to "deflect it" that will not impend  CAC and radiator cooling?

If you have a toad, mount it back there.  If your coach is big enough  put it in a bay, as is or partially disassemble.  Or wrap it a reflective cover.  

As previously alluded to, there is a reason for the large grille outside the radiator "sandwich"; to place any obstruction next to the grille hinders engine, transmission, hyd oil, and turbocharged air cooling. Only you may decide which is a priority, MH health or hauling the electric bike.

RayIN, I have seen lots of bikes attached to racks that are mounted off the hitch and bend away from coach drill by about 3+ Feet.  No obstruction!

Here was my personal experience with Bikes.  I have a 43' DP, with a Toad.  It is a 2008 Mini Cooper S with a roof rack where we had both of our beach cruisers.  During the hot summer the bottom bracket, (the center section of the frame where the cracks pivot) grease would get hot and drip hot grease out onto the top of the car.  Not great and not something that I thought about.