dbenoit

Water Heater Anode Check

For some this is automatic for others like me, sometimes forgotten.

Probably a good time to check if you haven't.

I changed out the rod. Not the worst I've seen.

Anode.jpg

Mine gets pulled and checked and water heater flushed yearly.  Since we have added the sediment filter, carbon filter and the water softener, it will go two years.

Ken

As I think most are aware, the anodes are only on Suburban water heaters.

Atwood does not need/recommend them for their water heaters, just a $1 nylon drain plug.

When we had the suburban heater in our previous MH, I flushed the tank every year and replaced the anode. Cheap insurance .

Never owned a RV with one. Hopefully one day I do not, running without all of these years I'd never remember to check it. 

8 hours ago, wolfe10 said:

Atwood does not need/recommend them for their water heaters, just a $1 nylon drain plug.

I highly recommend you have a spare nylon drain plug in your spare parts bin. I have had one blow out and there never seems like there is a parts store handy.

Bill

2 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

I highly recommend you have a spare nylon drain plug in your spare parts bin. I have had one blow out and there never seems like there is a parts store handy.

Bill

image.png.b775ef5554c8ed024337ba6c910e813f.png Virtually any hardware store sells 1/2"NPT nylon plugs. I carry 2 spares, JIC.

I know this thread is old, but I'll confess I was demoted to Motorhome 101 class regarding water heater anodes.  My previous travel trailer and motorhome had Dometic water heaters that do not have anodes because the tanks are aluminum.   While prepping my current motorhome two weeks ago ahead of the "Great Houston Freeze" I pulled the drain plug on the water heater.  I honestly was stunnded to see a "rod" attached the plug and wondered "WTF is that?".    I pulled the owners manual out of the "big bag" of manuals and quickly learned my Ventana LE has an Atwood/Suburban brand water heater which has a steel tank and an anode (just like a home water heater).    I was then off on a hunt for a new anode (found one at Holiday World in Katy).   

I hate to show my ignorance but the photo below shows how bad my anode was (i.e. nothing remaining!).   I also ordered from Amazon a water heater flush wand to clean out the water heater this weekend before installing the new anode. 

This website provides good guidance for water heater maintenance --> Suburban Water Heater Maintenance Videos

My remedial education for the water heater portion of Motorhome 101 class is completed.  Maybe I can return to Motorhome 201 class (?)

Anode.jpg

Edited by fagnaml

Not to worry, lots of us are still there, even Carl. Carl has been motorhoming since they still had cranks to start the engines and he is only gotten to 101.38.:rolleyes:

Sorry Carl please forgive me 🙏, Bill made me do it.

Herman

But I did learn to stoke the fire properly in my steam powered RV. The good thing about that is you have unlimited hot water as long as the steam is up.

Bill

11 hours ago, manholt said:

2nd time in 2 days....how did I become the wiping boy?  Easy, their jealousy is showing! 😁

Perhaps it's because you have the highest post count? 😈

On 2/26/2021 at 8:35 AM, manholt said:

2nd time in 2 days....how did I become the wiping boy?  Easy, their jealousy is showing! 😁

Easy target :lol:

I knew you where all jealous! 😂

Herman came aboard in 2009, 3 of you in 2012, me in 2013, Joe in 2014 and RayIn in 2017!