jeautry

Express-Scripts for Traveling Veterans

I'm interested in how traveling Retired Veterans arrange to receive shipments of their medical prescriptions utilizing Express-Scripts.  Also how do they manage refilling narcotic prescriptions while traveling.

Thanks, Jim Autry, SMSgt, USAF, Ret.

JEAUTRY.  Welcome to the Forum and thank you for your service! 😀

I have no idea...but there are other Retired Vets on this Forum that will be along by 7 pm!

Welcome aboard Jeautry.

Many of us veterans have our medications shipped to directly to the campground address and not our personal mailbox (PMB) addresses.  I ask the campground if I can have my medications and packages shipped directly to the campground.  Most the time they say yes.  If they say no, then I visit the local post office and inquire of general delivery services.  If I am going to be in that area for the season, I may opt for a PO Box if they do not cost much.  PO Box costs vary from post office to post office.  For the controlled medications that need a signature, if they are being delivered to the campground then my wife or I must be present to sign for them from the postal carrier.  The post office, if we went that route, has us sign for the controlled medications when we come and get our mail.    

Best regards,

Richard "Doc"

Now we all know.  Thank you for that info!  Lot's off us did not retire or got wounded in the Service of our country.

I have Express Scripts. We just switched from USFHP to TFL this past sign-up season.  My wife will have to use Express Scripts so I'm curious as to how that will go.

My wondering is if they do a maintenance prescriptions. By maintenance prescriptions can you tell them you will be gone for an extended period of time and need xxx days of medicine.  That would preclude having to have the medicines sent to stops along the way.  As for the narcotics, that will probably be a different story. We are not on any narcotics so don't know the answer to that one.

Wayne, we did advance refills/vacation refills for our scripts-(3 months max) when we were wintering in Florida. We never had an issue with obtaining that, just phone Express-Scripts and ask for the service. I tried to time it so we just received our regular 3-month supply, then requested the vacation advance. That gave us about a 5 month supply. Express-Scripts is long-term meds, 3 months received at a time for one $10 co-pay. Normal time between order and receipt is 2 weeks.

As to narcotics, that depends on your home state regulations. I just now phoned ES customer service and asked about Indiana, the lady looked-up the state regs and explained in detail the procedure, since hopefully DW will be able to travel by early winter.

RayIN:  Information is much appreciated. Express-Scripts has been one of the best retiree benefits I have and I'd hate to do without.  Re: Narcotics refills, I'm going to investigate that here in MO.