five

Coolant And Coolant Filter

Last December it was time to change my coolant, at that time the coach was six years old with 36,000 miles on the OEM coolant.  However, first I sent a sample to J.G. Lubricants to test to see how they rated the OEM coolant at that time.  The test came back saying there was way too much copper in it, too much aluminum, and to change it ASAP.  So, I changed it.  In the course of that process, when the old filter was pulled out, it was packed solid with a dark gray sludgy mess.  So we put in a new filter and new coolant and the tech said drive it a while and recheck the filter.  After 1,200 miles, I pulled the filter Monday.  The filter loosely contained (in between the sections of the filter) a soft slushy material with the consistency of sherbet, and the approximate color of the coolant.   Both my tech and the Freightliner tech had never heard of a coolant filter containing whatever this stuff is.  The plan is to repeat the process again....once the powers that be decide it's okay to go out and about...and see what it looks like.

Freightliner also said the OEM coolant was Shell Rotella standard ethylene glycol, they do not use ELC.  The only recommendation they had is to use heavy duty truck coolant that is not ELC.

The coolant I put in, in December, was/is "Peak Fleet Charge, SCA precharged ethylene glycol, fully formulated for all heavy duty engines."

I talked to DD yesterday.  The tech said clogging of the coolant filter is a very rare occurrence and when it happens it is usually the DEF header unit or the DEF coolant valve leaking DEF into the coolant.  Both require testing procedures that must be acquired from DD.

I talked to Baldwin, the filter maker, this morning.  Their tech said it is a "synthetic media" filter, that contains no additives for the coolant.   The filter is a Baldwin P5092.

Has anybody had any experience similar to this with their coolant and coolant filter?

Right NOW-- if a regular "Low silicate with added SCA coolant for diesels"  is in there, CHECK THE COOLANT.

Test strips are readily available to check: SCA concentration, pH, freeze point. Make sure the test strips are current/not expired.

Let us know what you find.

Whether the filter should  be one that adds SCA or has zero units depends on the SCA concentration.  There will be times where zero units is correct and times when filters with multiple units are correct.

I'm not sure what you are asking.  This is new coolant precharged with SCA, you  are saying test it?  As a point of information, the old coolant tested out fine for all the basic items...freeze point, boil point, anti- freeze percent, PH, Total hardness, Nitrite, specific conductance, and SCA number.  The only items out of range were copper and aluminum.  I have the test strips and routinely checked the old coolant, and added SCA when needed.

If coolant tests fine, but filter is clogged, replace with a filter BLANK (Full filtration, but no SCA). If testing SCA level shows low, replace with a filter with the recommended units of SCA.

Five, I emailed you concerns to a friend at Detroit Diesel waiting for a response. I will circle back once I hear from him, not sure if hes working from home or in the office due to Covid, could take sometime. 

Thanks, Joe.  I talked to a DD tech on Thursday, I noted his comments in my original post.

10 hours ago, FIVE said:

Thanks, Joe.  I talked to a DD tech on Thursday, I noted his comments in my original post.

I copied and pasted your post in an email to my factory contact. I suspect he is off as I usually get a response within a few hours. I will call him on Monday if there is no email response.

Ok, I got some answers; 

Coolant would be in the DEF tank, not DEF in the cooling system. The DEF System works on suction, draws to the pump above (past where there is any coolant), pressurizes and sends it to the dosing nozzle. The only coolant loops the tank and heads back to the engine on a separate circuit. 

There is a Service Bulletin for this very reason and are dismissing it as NO PROBLEM with the engine, so that should ease your mind. Once I have a copy I will attach it. 

Great, thanks a  lot, Joe.  I'm going to copy the link and give a copy to my tech.

6 hours ago, FIVE said:

Great, thanks a  lot, Joe.  I'm going to copy the link and give a copy to my tech.

Glad to help, if you need anything else let me know.

As a follow up, the link said to add a pint of "Powercool (now called Pencool) 3000 System After Treatment (p/n PIC23507854."  I got a bottle of the additive this morning from Freightliner for less than $7.  I will add it to the cooling system, and check it after I've put some miles on the coach.  Again, I appreciate your help, Joe.  The DD tech did not know about this bulletin when I called last month.

When we had our Phaeton with the ISL 8.9, Cummins recommended the PenCool 3000. Used it for over 4 years and SCAs were always within spec.