tmcoffin47@gmail.com

Ditching the Dinette

tmcoffin47@gmail.com, Welcome to the FMCA Forums.

Nothing comes to mind other than whats hidden under the dinette. That is often a place to put components like a transfer switch, furnace etc... If nothing is under it start the careful removal process (try not to damage anything, you might have to put it back in), should you stumble upon anything questionable, snap a picture and post that on here. 

We did the same thing.  Got rid of the U shaped dinette and replaced it with the credenza and free standing table.  We had the credenza installed at Bradd & Hall, and they did a great job.  We had some electrical wiring that ran under the dinette, and they made a wood veneer covered raceway between the pedestals of the credenza, and from the credenza to behind the sofa, using the same wood color that the credenza is made of.

I realize that this probably isn't most people's way to redo the dining area, but it works for us.  The counter-height work surface is a superb addition to the kitchen work area.  The butcher block is solid inch and a half maple.  It stands on 3x3 posts and weighs >200 lbs. I'm not at all worried about it tipping over but it is anchored to the wall to keep it from sliding.

counter comp.jpg

1 hour ago, docj said:

I realize that this probably isn't most people's way to redo the dining area, but it works for us.  The counter-height work surface is a superb addition to the kitchen work area.  The butcher block is solid inch and a half maple.  It stands on 3x3 posts and weighs >200 lbs. I'm not at all worried about it tipping over but it is anchored to the wall to keep it from sliding.

counter comp.jpg

Beautiful work!

4 hours ago, manholt said:

Docj.

It works for us...very nice! 😁

What's not all that visible in the photo is that there are two large shelves under the counter on which we've placed a set of large baskets which provide a huge amount of easily accessible (just slide them out) storage.   The counter itself has a hinged "breakfast bar" which hangs out over the edge of the "platform" which provides us room to eat meals.  The massive weight of the entire piece makes it very stable even with the cantilevered section. 

The biggest challenge was getting the counter top into the MH.  Thank goodness for a somewhat younger neighbor! 😂

Like a boat, limited space, so each piece of furniture, needs to do several different things!  Unlike a boat, you have to take the extra weight in to consideration...we are more limited in weight than space.

10 hours ago, manholt said:

Like a boat, limited space, so each piece of furniture, needs to do several different things!  Unlike a boat, you have to take the extra weight in to consideration...we are more limited in weight than space.

And...We have to consider the potential for panic stopping. You don't want something unsecured to greet you while you are trying to maintain control of the vehicle. 

Everything we have changed in our floor plan is mounted better than the factory furniture it replaced. I don't like those kind of surprises!

2 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

I think a 200lb table top is a little excessively heavy for RV use, nice but heavy.

Now that we have a storage shed on our own property in TX we have taken so much out the of the MH that I'm not the least concerned about our load capability.  200 lbs is the weight of a person; not a big deal IMO.

5 hours ago, jleamont said:

We have to consider the potential for panic stopping. You don't want something unsecured to greet you while you are trying to maintain control of the vehicle. 

As noted previously, the table is secured to the sidewalls with large screw eyes and heavy-duty zip ties.

I realize this is a post from last year, but thought I'd comment.  Removing the dinette will improve usability for you folks, but may reduce the re-sale value down the road.   We just upgraded to a newer unit, but as we were searching, we eliminated any coaches without a dinette.  We still have guests who may travel with us at times, and the extra sleeping area is important to us.

Just my 2 cents.