jcavasos

2002 American Dream: Accessing top of gray tank

Greetings everyone,  I have a 2002 American Coach American Dream and I have this problem.  Whenever I take a shower, a lot of water is coming out of the top of the gray tank and running down to the bottom of the coach.  It only leaks with the shower drain.  I have been unsuccessful with American Coach and with Fleetwood.  I need to know how to access the top of the gray tank where the shower drain is connected so I can fix this problem.  Can anybody help me?  Anything would be greatly appreciated.

Look around the shower base, out in the hallway, often there is plumbing access. Usually it’s a rectangle access screwed closed.

Thank you for your reply.  There is a access panel behind the shower that allows access to the P-trap.  Unfortunately, everything is totally dry up top.  I was hoping it would be the P-trap.  It is leaking down below before it gets into the gray tank.  I'm afraid the only access is through the floor in front of the shower. 

Before you tear up the floor....it would be easier to drain the grey tank and drop it.  I suspect the pipe is not seated well between shower drain and tank...18 years of a rolling earthquake will do all kinds of things to pipes!  

Did you run the shower and then look to see if you could see water? 

Can you see the P trap and does the drain, drain fast or slow?

There are lots of things that must be checked before tearing up the floor or pulling the tank. To pull the tank you have to have access to the drain hookups that you are looking for in the first place.

Herman

Every time I have seen this type of leak it was the P trap connection to the tank. Have you tried to run the water as mentioned above and look down towards the tank to look for the source?

This might just be the time and place for a examination camera. For me it would be a nice thing to have in my tool box. There are so many areas that are very hard see in or at. 

I know that both my RVs sinks have P traps like we have at home. Friction secured not glued. But I have no idea as to the other connections. I may just be getting in over my head on how my plumbing is hooked up in an RV. I do know that there is very little space between the top of my tanks and what is on top of them. 

Herman

Having had a AC Tradition.  Yes, they are still a bear to get at the plumbing...spent a whole summer, changing out most of the plumbing and connections to aligator bite, pex and brass ball valves. Shower was by far the most antique of it all.  To get at 90% of the bathroom plumbing, you have to either remove the shower or drop the grey tank!  100 X easier to work on a Fleetwood, than a Fleetwood American Coach!

Thank you very much for all your help and suggestions.  I ended up going in from the top and found the problem right away.  It was a bugger to fix.  Now I can shower without watering the flowers outside.

20200511_122308_001.jpg

Looks like "most" of it would have gone down the drain.:P

Now you can make a acess panel incase you have a problem under there again. Do you know how to make a flush repair?

Bill