Sign in to follow this  
raptor4070

Supplemental Braking Systems

Hello all!!

I would love to hear from you regarding supplemental braking systems. I have a Smart Car the I recently purchased as my tow vehicle behind my Beaver Baron Class A Diesel pusher. The Smart Car weighs approximately 2,000 pounds. I plan is to flat tow the car and in my research I have found varying opinions on the use of  supplemental braking systems, whether it is needed or not. For my peace of mind I plan on purchasing one as I would rather be safe than sorry in the event the car breaks away. With this said there are many supplemental systems out there that range from several hundred to over 1,000. I want a braking system that provides the braking that I need however, I do not want to over spend on a braking system that is overkill for my little car that will BREAK(see what I did there, LOL!) the bank. I would appreciate your recommendations and advise Thank you!

I'm a huge fan of ReadyBrake by NSA.  It's an inertia system that pulls on the car's brake pedal when the car tries to push the MH.  I've used the same one for well over 20 years and swear by it.  Fully proportional and the least expensive way to add a breaking system to a towed that I know of.

https://www.readybrake.com/store/c3/Supplemental_Braking_Systems.html

How it works:
http://assets.readybrake.com/bin/ReadyBrakeAnimation.gif

I also have a ReadyBrake and like it a lot. Much nicer than the old system that had a vacuum pump that sat on the floor. If all you are concerned about is break away safety the ReadyBrake break away system would do it with nothing else to purchase.  ReadyBrake break away

We have had the Air Force One for about 9 years. I moved it from first auto to second without any issue. I think it now called SMI and sold by Demco.