roblwhitney

Date code on motor home tires

I need new tires for my 2011 Winnebago Sightseer, so setup a purchase through FMCA's tire program and the Michelin Advantage Program. There are 4 tires dealers in my area who are in the program. I've contacted all of them; none of them can order tires with recent date codes. They tell me they get what they get. The best I found is 1 dealer with tires in stock that are 10 months old. Another ordered the tires, but when they came in, they were over a year old. Everything I read tells me I want to change out the motor home tires every 5 years (based on the date codes). 

So my questions:

1. Is the "change every 5 by date code" valid, and, if so
2. How do I find tires with a relatively recent date code?

Thanks!

roblwhitney,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

While there is some variance on WHEN to replace tires, absolutely, you want the freshest tires you can get.

Wouldn't hurt to call the tire manufacturer and ask them where to get fresh tires in your size near you.

And, if the choice is one year old tires by your "first choice" vs 3 week old tires from your "second choice"....................

Wondering if your "dealers" are independent shops that sell tires or if any are a "company store or part of a large dealer network?

Yes they can't order by DOT date but you can advise the dealer you will not accept anything older than 6 months. When does the tire warranty of the brand you are looking at start? DOT date or date sold?

5 years is when you should start to have the tired completely inspected but is not a "scrap the tires" date.

While I agree warranty period is important, very likely none will have a warranty long enough to be relevant to "replacement due to age".

Said another way, whether the warranty period starts today or a year ago, the tire will be well out of warranty when you replace them due to age.

Check dealers other than Michelin.  Most other tires will be cheaper than Michelin even with their discount.

Yes I recommend looking at Continentals. I put Continentals on for over $100 ea cheaper than the discount Michelin price.  They road well and were as good or better than Michelin.

Bill

When shopping for tires you can start by checking out the brand on the fronts of the Heavy Trucks. That would give you a little info on what the professional drivers use in the most important position on your RV.

Roger, that's what I did for 2 years until I actually needed new tires. I settled on Sailun truck tires, however they don''t make 19.5" tires, only 22.5 and 24.5" Three years ago my total bill was $1,280 for 6 LR H, S637, 22.5" tires. They are made in Vietnam now..