squiredude

WiFi Extender Solution Needed

Hi all,

I live in my RV year round and split my time between Winter Workamping at Sundance RV Resort, Yuma, Az.
and Summers at Yosemite Pines RV Resort, Groveland, Ca.

I have an unusual WiFi Extender situation that I desperately need help with.  With the COVID19 "stay in place"
order not having an active WiFi is extremely frustrating.  Especially with only mobile phone via WiFi connection too.

I have tried several different models of new NetGear WiFi Extenders (Nighthawks, AC2200, EX7300, R7000P etc.)
and they all failed to connect with either Variation #1 or #2 below.

FYI - Had an WN2000RPTv2 which worked in all environments for years but finally failed, 
there is no direct replacement from NetGear.  All other models failed.

After going through the setup procedure on each of the NetGear Extenders I got the same results...
"No Internet, Secure" on the WiFi connection and when I open the MyWiFiExt software it reports that
it is connected etc. and completely configured. 
I reality there is no internet connection and no connectivity to any devices.

Variation #1 - When in Yuma, Az.

I use the Hotspot WiFi device as my connectivity with the rest of the system as noted below.

Variation #2 - When in Groveland, Ca.

There is no mobile phone support or land lines of any kind or cable systems a the park (Yosemite Pines RV Resort).
Our only communications with the outside world is by connecting to the parks WiFi system (TengoInternet). 
As an employee we are given unlimited connectivity which is authenticated using the MAC address
(not using a UserID & PassWord) of a WiFi Extender device...

Environment:

WiFi Extender (TBD)
NAS system (TerraMaster 4F (24TB))
5 port Netgear Switch
Sprint MiFi (HotSpot) device (Yuma only as no connection at Yosemite)

If you know of a WiFi Extender that will give me Internet & WiFi service please let me know the make and model.

Thanks
SquireDude

I don't see what's so unusual about what your're looking for.  

In your Variation #1 you use a cellular hotspot device as your primary method of connecting your "local network" of devices to the internet.

In your Variation #2 you use the park's WiFi.

At present, I use my WiFiRanger Aspen router for both of those purposes.  I have three cellular hotspots connected to it via USB and Ethernet tethers and I have our park's WiFi connected via 2 GHz WiFi. Rather than limiting myself to your two cases I use all of my sources in a Load Balanced configuration, but I could easily use them one at a time as you propose in variations 1 and 2.  If I'm missing some aspect of your situation, please explain.

There are a number of other brands of routers with WIFi as WAN capability that could do the same thing.  I'll mention Pepwave and Cradlepoint as two examples

I think that you are miscalling the wifi extender, what you really need to be looking for is a wifi router. If you are depending your phone for hotspot, then wireless router will work well for you, TPLink makes a very good line of low priced routers with load balancing capabilities. Load balancing is a means of using two or more inbound connections to gain access to the internet, the brand that I mentioned above can use up to four. Load balancing uses the connections and splits the outgoing and incoming signals between the multiple providers and makes their signals faster because you are using all signals simultaneously. Here is a youtube link helpful to watch.

Hi DocJ,

Thanks I am looking into the WiFiRanger Aspen.  It has a lot more than I need but the price is reasonable without the LTE functionality.  Also like the PepWave product.

NOTE: I have noticed a couple of thangs that maybe you can answer...
(1) most of these devices use "tethering" I am a little unsure if that requires hard connections of like or can talk to each other using WiFi?
(2) the USB ports are 2.0 and we are well past 3.0 into 3.1.  Why the slower connections?

Thanks for the help.

2 hours ago, SquireDude said:

Hi DocJ,

Thanks I am looking into the WiFiRanger Aspen.  It has a lot more than I need but the price is reasonable without the LTE functionality.  Also like the PepWave product.

NOTE: I have noticed a couple of thangs that maybe you can answer...
(1) most of these devices use "tethering" I am a little unsure if that requires hard connections of like or can talk to each other using WiFi?
(2) the USB ports are 2.0 and we are well past 3.0 into 3.1.  Why the slower connections?

If you're looking at an Aspen without LTE functionality then you might as well save a few dollars and buy a Spruce.  The processor is the same in both.

All these routers can connect to hotspots using WiFi but many people like the sense of stability provided by a hardwire connect.  More importantly, if the hotspot and Ranger are communicating via a tether the WiFi broadcast from the hotspot won't interfere with the Ranger even if you leave the SSID enabled. When they are linked via WiFi there can be a risk of interference if all your electronics are close together.

Through the use of an inexpensive USB hub, WiFiRanger products can USB-tether up to 3 cellular devices and use them all in a Load Balanced connection.

As for the use of USB 2.0  rather than 3.0, the max rated throughput speed of USB 2.0 is 480 Mbps.  I haven't encountered any internet connection lately that would be anywhere near that fast.  😂 This is a case where there's no practical need to upgrade the spec and no particular benefit to doing so.

Hello,

This is not unusual especially for the Yosemite location.  A couple of suggestions,

1 - Try a hotspot from T-Mobile that uses their new LTE Band 71.  This is the new 600Mhz band that is supposed to reach further and shows as being available, on their map, in Yosemite pines RV resort.

2 - There is a really good YouTube video from a full time RVer about getting campground wifi using Ubiquiti network gear for about $100.  The video is from David Bott and he gives a very detailed explanation of how to set up the wifi extender antenna.  

Hope this helps.

James

1 hour ago, Jchism759 said:

- Try a hotspot from T-Mobile that uses their new LTE Band 71.  This is the new 600Mhz band that is supposed to reach further

I'm not aware of any coverage map provided by T-Mobile that shows where Band 71 is available.  Here's a map from a year ago created by others.  I don't know how much the coverage has been expanded since then, but it was pretty limited at that time: T-Mobile Band 71 coverage

14 hours ago, docj said:

I'm not aware of any coverage map provided by T-Mobile that shows where Band 71 is available.

You can actually check T-Mobiles coverage map, https://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/coverage-map 

on the left side click on “Legend” then at the bottom is the selection for “See how coverage can improve with Extended range LTE-600Mhz.”

I reviewed the T-Mobile site again, and while it says there is “fair coverage” in the Yosemite Pines area the Extended range LTE-600Mhz does not appear to be there yet?

43 minutes ago, Jchism759 said:

You can actually check T-Mobiles coverage map, https://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/coverage-map 

on the left side click on “Legend” then at the bottom is the selection for “See how coverage can improve with Extended range LTE-600Mhz.”

I reviewed the T-Mobile site again, and while it says there is “fair coverage” in the Yosemite Pines area the Extended range LTE-600Mhz does not appear to be there yet?

In my experience, T-Mobile's coverage map has to be taken with a grain of salt.  If you expand it way up you can see that there are "shading" differences in the regions that get 4G coverage.  The darker shading is is supposed to be "really good" coverage and the slightly lighter shading is "not quite as good".  My home is in that second, lighter shading and the service here is pretty poor!

Carl, before retiring from the IT industry, we set up monitors that cost $10,000.00 each, as many as twelve, and the stand to mount them on, cost $25,000.00.

On 5/18/2020 at 5:49 PM, docj said:

If you're looking at an Aspen without LTE functionality then you might as well save a few dollars and buy a Spruce.  The processor is the same in both.

All these routers can connect to hotspots using WiFi but many people like the sense of stability provided by a hardwire connect.  More importantly, if the hotspot and Ranger are communicating via a tether the WiFi broadcast from the hotspot won't interfere with the Ranger even if you leave the SSID enabled. When they are linked via WiFi there can be a risk of interference if all your electronics are close together.

Through the use of an inexpensive USB hub, WiFiRanger products can USB-tether up to 3 cellular devices and use them all in a Load Balanced connection.

As for the use of USB 2.0  rather than 3.0, the max rated throughput speed of USB 2.0 is 480 Mbps.  I haven't encountered any internet connection lately that would be anywhere near that fast.  😂 This is a case where there's no practical need to upgrade the spec and no particular benefit to doing so.

Hi Doc - we’ve been corresponding on IRV2 also.  I’m starting to feel like the Ranger options are better and more expandable than the Wineguard.  Would appreciate your recommendations on same.  You seem to be the most knowledgeable person I’ve found on all of these boards.  Maybe I don’t need a roof top unit...but it does instinctively seem like a good idea.  However roof top means harder wiring and harder to change or upgrade.  Any thoughts?   I can see us wanting to use IPAD wireless, maybe a brick wireless and then any local WiFi depending on where we are.  I have a bit to learn on how to manage the load balancing.  Thanks

Since you're just starting out, I suggest that maybe you should begin with an indoor unit.  The rooftop router can always be added later and the two will integrate and operate from one on-screen control panel. The rooftop unit provides longer WiFi range. if you expect to use a lot of park WiFi that would be its primary advantage along with slightly faster throughput because you would have two radios rather than one.

As for comparisons between WiFiRanger and other hardware, I recommend that you check out the  Mobile Internet Resource Center (MIRC). They provide accurate and unbiased information on a broad range of hardware.

Joel (AKA docj)