frankandmary

Turn Signal Problem With Running Lights

Recently we purchased a used 2002 Gulf Stream, and it has an electrical problem. Here goes ... The turn signals work during daytime use of the RV. When the headlight switch is turned on, the turn signals stay lit in either position and will not blink. When I depress the courtesy running light switch that opens the circuit, and keep it depressed, the turn signals work fine. When I let off of switch, the turn signals stay lit and do not blink.

When the headlight switch is on, the rear lights of the coach do not work, either. Furthermore, the monitor will sequence with the turn signal blinking on and off. Can you help?

Frankandmary,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

What chassis?

Finding out what all those circuits have in common will likely lead you to the culprit. And it is very likely that it is poor ground in the dash area.

Brett

Brett,

Last night I was still messing with it and this morning got up with a fresh start and remembered the running light by the stare entry had flickered on and off. So I took the light apart cleaned it up and would you believe everything is back like it should be. Everything works. I guess it was all a bad connection. I feel better now.

On exterior lamp fixtures it is common for oxidation to form from trapped moisture in the bulb socket. The amount and severity depends on age, fixture seal quality, long term weather conditions, etc. This can cause open circuits, short circuits, and various current "leaks" that will give unusual results. Less frequently, this can happen with interior light fixtures as well.

The easiest way to prevent this is dip the bulb's contact end into silicone (or other non-particle) grease, then insert into the clean socket. A little goes a long way. Wipe any grease from the bulb's glass area. I do this on all my vehicles -- no more light circuit anomalies.

As Chuck says, use Silicone GREASE (also called Silicone Di-electric Grease), NOT Silicone sealer for this.

Brett

This is the closest topic I have found to the problem I just started having with my turn signals.  On my way back from Ft. Meyers Florida to Cincinnati, My turn signals stopped working.  It was raining cats and dogs and I went to use my turn signal to change lanes and notices I had previously left the turn signal on from the last lane change and it was no longer working.   I have checked all the fuses, the running lights work, the markers work, the headlights work, the tail lights, brake lights, third brake light all work, the hazard flasher works.  The left and right turn signals DO NOT work.  I have checked fuses in the front area by the generator, the side panel on the front drivers side and the fuses in the back bedroom.  I'm leaving for Red River Gorge tomorrow and would like to get them working before we leave so any help would be appreciated.

1998 Holiday Rambler with the Freightliner chasis, ISB275 CM350 Cummins Turbo Diesel pusher, Allison 6 speed transmission.

Strats, 

Two things come to mind. 1) You may have a bad flasher. Do your stop lights work? 2) You may have a bad turn signal module on the steering  column. You would be amazed of how much goes through that module. Another question, do your emergency flashers work? I would check flasher first. 

Herman 

Everything works except turn signals. If the flasher is bad, wouldn't the turn signal turn on but just not flash?

Where is it located, the side of the fuse box, the round flasher module or something else or under the dash.  Would you have a pic or part number?

I drove a 91 cross country for several years, same thing happened to my unit, there was two flashers under the front module hatch on that unit. The flasher modules were identical, one module flashes the hazardous warning lights, the other the turn signals. To locate the flasher, I turned on the haz lights and followed the sound. After locating it, I moved that flasher to the other location, right beside it, and "viola" the signals began to work. Went to parts store with the faulty one to match, bought two, replaced one and kept a spare from then on. Hope yours is that simple.

Strats, while the signals are off do you happen to notice the signal indicator (arrows) on the dash are dim? This has happed to our HR at least 3 times in two years. I was loosing the ground at the receptacle, it happed to three of the four receptacles. My dash arrows would glow dim when the signals were not in use, when they were turned on nothing would happen, the dim light would go out. FYI, one of them was already replaced right before we bought it for the same problem.

Joe I think you are on to something bad grounds will cause all kinds of crazy things. I would start with cleaning ALL combo turn/ running light sockets. On my coach the lights started doing crazy things freightliner told me to unplug connectors on light control module for 10 seconds and it will reset it worked I chaced it for 3 days before I called them all has been fine since. I have a smart wheel and all buttons were screwed up.

I followed the sound of the emergency flashers.  Under the hood in front above the generator located in the fuse cluster like a typical car or pick-up application.  Only one though.  I have been through every area in the front, under the dash, in the fuse box compartment on the undercarriage fuse box under the driver area front, back fuse box next to the bed in the bottom of the night stand, checked all the tow connections etc.  Frustrated, leaving on a trip later today!  The emergency module is round, the picture that frieghtliner sent me of the turn signal module is more square.

Strats.  I can't open it.  However, I have found out over the years, that the manufacturer change a lot of things on the chassis they order after they get them in!  Bet the round module you found is a dual....as Herman said, it's amazing what goes thru a module.

Carl

Have two on our Freightliner chassis. One is turn signals and other is 4ways. Very easy to get to/ along the steering column just under the dash. I carry spares and they are the electronic type designed to work with light electrical loads as in LED lamps.

So the round module that is working for the emergency flashers could also be the module for the turn signals even though the emergency flashers are working and the turn signal are not?  The back of the module has two electrical posts that plug into the fuse box.  This can be a 4 way module?  I've been through every inch behind the dash and in the front compartment where the generator is and see nothing!

My two cents worth, I would check the wiring inside the trailer connector for a loose wire shorting to the running light circuit. Its not uncommon for the wires to come loose. You might want to check for a defective (bad) ground in the tail lamp assembly. It's not hard to do if you have an inexpensive test light. You can private message me and i'll give you my cell number and I can walk you thru the process.

Well after several months of looking around and checking the wiring with my probe, I was ready to take the coach into Freightliner because I'm leaving on a trip  out west in a couple weeks and I don't like traveling with out turn signals.

I have received a lot of help on forums, you-tube and here.  I found a Freightliner help phone number that the previous owner of my coach wrote on the back of one of the manuals and thought I would give it a shot even though my local Freightliner couldn't or wouldn't help.  I called and talked to a gentleman on a Sunday afternoon and had a 2 minute conversation that went as follows.  What year coach?  Do the emergency flashers work which they did.  Is the round hazard flasher under the dash or outside on the firewall above the generator.  It is outside on the firewall.  He said to find the fuse panel that the flasher is in and follow the wires that feed that fuse panel and within the first 8" there should be another flasher that looks identical to the other but spliced into the wires and might even be in the black flex wire protector but will be with 8".

I have been on top of that area 50 times but never looked in the main group of covered wires and I found it and fixed it in 5 minutes! I've been researching and looking for months to resolve this easy problem so thank you very much to the Freightliner Help Line 1-800-385-4357.  

Yes it is dirty and I need to fasten it all back right, this was temporary while searching for the problem.  It was in the large conduit of wires and hidden out of sight. I like to give the solution to issues I ask about on forums so future Holiday Rambler Endeavor owners (Monaco) who have the same turn signals not working issues have a reference to go to with a quick, easy and inexpensive way to fix the problem without the frustration I have had.  

Fixed and done!

dirtyturn_signal_flasher.thumb.JPG.705fbaa3491dabd01faf5cb0e4d0ed1a.JPG

Strats, Thanks for your feedback.

Could you post the size of the fuse the was bad for the group?

Did not go back and read you complete list of posts, but where the towed turn signals also inoperative?

Like Wildebill  mentioned - they do hide items in some out of the way locations and over the years, there have been a sizable number of items tucked away in the main wiring harnesses ! Many of the newer wiring setups have placed more of the fuses in fuse boxes, but owners will often be looking for items  like Diodes and fuses that are tucked away in the wiring and not mentioned in the general information - only in the main wiring drawings and that information tends to be only filed at  Frightliner or other chassis builder production centers.

Along with a reluctance by many service centers to work on the Custom Chassis build for a specific application, issues or items like this are snakes in the grass just passing time to raise up and bit.

Thanks again for your reply !!!

Rich. 

It affected all turn signal functions including the tow vehicle.  The size is a standard flasher / hazard approximately 1" round that is interchangeable with the hazard flasher that is seen in the picture. It's a Must fuse X lead 20 amp max flasher.  I replaced the original hazard flasher that was green with the more expensive Novita metal one because I was told it may control both the flashers and the turn signals.,  Obviously it didn't control both but I had it as a spare and used it to replace the turn signal flasher when I found it.  I will get a couple spares for the future.  The only good thing about the whole turn signal issue was that I learned about every square inch and nook and cranny of the coach searching for the flasher. I pulled relays and now know which one is needed to run the engine in the back passenger side next to the inverter and got a spare for that also.