woodworker414

Travel Trailers Info

Good morning everyone.

Currently we have  Heartland Landmark 40' fifth wheel. 

We have been talking about leaving the Landmark here in FL at our snowbird location.

Talking about getting a TT to travel around the country in. Thinking about maybe a 24' or so in length.

The reason, we want to be able more easily to get into state and federal parks which usually have smaller spaces. and to be able to travel the back

roads and stay off the interstates.

My Sweetheart does all the driving, since I am nearly blind. I want to make it as easy as possible for her to get us places.

Not looking for a brand new TT. A used one will be just fine.

Ihave been looking online at some tailers. Holiday Rambler.

My question: What are the names of the brands models that were built in the 2000/ 2015 time period. I do not know mch agout TT brands.

I have only had truck campers, motor homes and fifth wheels.

What are your experiences on which brand/model that you have had over the years.

We are really excited about doing this.

Thanks for any info that you can share.

Bill

Lots of decent options for you; many of them would be familiar names from fifth wheels.  For what you're looking for it really depends on what you want to spend.  I've heard good things about the Winnebago travel trailers.  Of course there are others that you would recognize like Heartland, Lance, Jayco, etc.  Best bet is search the floor plans and see what seems to suit you and then VERY carefully inspect the trailer.  A lot depends on what you want to spend.  An Airstream is VERY nice but also very expensive.

My wife and I travel around in our Camplite 21BHS which is excellent for us.  Unfortunately, Thor bought out LivinLite the manufacturer of Camplites and took them downhill and out of production.  

Our daughter and hubby have a Winnebago Minnie Plus, travel trailer and it has been good to then aside from a few trim issues.  Seems to be better built than most in that size range.

Lance and Arctic Fox get good reports compared to the Thor and Forest River products.

We have seen a couple Olivers and Escapes.  They are pricey, but seem well built.

Ken

On 5/18/2020 at 11:04 AM, TXiceman said:

Our daughter and hubby have a Winnebago Minnie Plus, travel trailer and it has been good to then aside from a few trim issues.  Seems to be better built than most in that size range.

Lance and Arctic Fox get good reports compared to the Thor and Forest River products.

We have seen a couple Olivers and Escapes.  They are pricey, but seem well built.

Ken

The Olivers are really interesting.  I'd like to tour their factory in TN some day.

txtiger --

Before upgrading to a motorhome five years ago, I owned a 2011 Tracer Executive 3000 BHS "bunkhouse" floor plan travel trailer that I used for temporary living for my capital project manager assignments and then used for weekends with the wife and LSU football weekends with the family.   I easily towed this 5,700# empty weight T-T with the 2011 Silverado crew cab 4x4 I had at the time.  I did add anti-sway bars to making towing easier (dumb me only purchased a "standard" weight distribution hitch with the trailer).

As Carl said, PPL Motorhomes is an example of a large consignment dealer that has several pre-owned travel trailer for sale (with a surprising number shown with "sale pending).   PPL currently has a 2013 Keystone Passport 3220BH for sale with a great bunkhouse floor plan for a young family --> https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-rvs-for-sale/travel-trailer/2013-keystone-passport-ultra-lite_rv-44803      A newer Ford F150 with ecoboost engine should have no problems towing this 6,100# empty weight trailer (as long as an anti-sway weight distribution hitch or anti-sway bars are used).

I strongly considered purchasing the 2011 version of the Passport 3220BH until the "deal" for the Tracer Executive 3000 BHS became too good to pass up.   The Passport and Tracer travel trailers have similar construction quality (very good) and amenities (mid-level).

Another travel trailer manufacturer you son could consider are those made by Grand Design.   A work colleague of mine a couple of year ago purchased a 2016 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH for his young family (two children) that is for sale on RV Trader -->https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2016-Grand-Design-Imagine-2800BH-5012766002 .   He uses his T-T for Texas A&M football weekends and for other family outings.  His 2016 Ford F150 ecoboost tows his Grand Design Imagine with no problems.   From what I've seen at RV shows, the Grand Design Imagine has somewhat better construction than my Tracer but has higher-end amenities.

Hope this info helps!  Let the forum know which travel trailer your son considers.