Sign in to follow this  
f433921

US 64 Farmington NM to Raton NW

Question

Planning a leisure trip from PNW to Texas in early fall.  Looking to avoid freeway and to take more scenic route this time.  On our last trip followed interstate until Spanish Springs  then thru  Mohab to El Paso and returned thru Tuscon, Phoenix, LV ,Reno .

Plan on this trip to take us thru the Texas panhandle and are considering taking  US 64 from Farmington NM to Raton.  Just wondering if this section of road is a good idea with a 40' DP with toad?

A few year back be took a trip to Mt Rushmore and back and took different routes going and coming and avoided the intestate highways except for a couple hundred miles, I don't think we ever drove over 150 miles either day.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Jim

8 answers to this question

Jim, I have been on 64 from Raton to Taos in a 28 foot gas coach. The only problem I had was lack of power. The roads were fine, a bit winding and a lot of ups and downs. I have friends that were Workampers in Eagles Nest, NM in a 40 ft. Roseair and had no problems. 

If you would like stop in Cimarron  and visit Philmont Scout High Adventure Camp. You  might disconnect in Cimarron and drive your tow to the camp it's only a couple of miles and a great trip. Of course that is depending on it being open because of the Pandemic.

Have a great trip and be safe. 

Herman

Done the U.S. 64 several times in a coach.  Some "technical mountain driving", but good road and great scenery.

U.S. 50, the loneliest road in America is another of our favorites when headed from PNW to Texas.

4 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

Jim, I have been on 64 from Raton to Taos in a 28 foot gas coach. The only problem I had was lack of power. The roads were fine, a bit winding and a lot of ups and downs. I have friends that were Workampers in Eagles Nest, NM in a 40 ft. Roseair and had no problems. 

If you would like stop in Cimarron  and visit Philmont Scout High Adventure Camp. You  might disconnect in Cimarron and drive your tow to the camp it's only a couple of miles and a great trip. Of course that is depending on it being open because of the Pandemic.

Have a great trip and be safe. 

Herman

I don’t think you need to disconnect. They have large parking lots. One is on the the training center side of the road, and the other is on the other side where crews start out on their treks. 

I took that part of 64 in 2015, good road, just go slow...It was in my 45' with toad, beautiful vista's...As Brett said & 50!

Last time I was at the Scout Camp, was 1959 as a Eagle.

1 hour ago, rossboyer said:

I don’t think you need to disconnect. They have large parking lots. One is on the the training center side of the road, and the other is on the other side where crews start out on their treks. 

Thanks Ross. Only been there once in a car. That was in 2000 if I remember correctly. Beautiful place and wonderful experience for both Scouts and Scoutleaders.

Herman 

Are any of the grades as bad a the the New Priest Grade when traveling from the north to Yosemite?  We made that trip a couple of years ago with no problem, just real slow and a few impatient drivers, not many pull outs for big rigs.

5 minutes ago, F433921 said:

Are any of the grades as bad a the the New Priest Grade when traveling from the north to Yosemite?  We made that trip a couple of years ago with no problem, just real slow and a few impatient drivers, not many pull outs for big rigs.

Not familiar with  "New Priest Grade", but Wikipedia shows it as 4%. Many interstate grades are more than that-- with 6% being a common max grade.

Yes, there will be grades more than 4% on U.S. 64.  So, you will be going slow-- no big deal.

We have done it several times in our Foretravel-- 36' DP with 250 HP.  No problem.

You might post (preferably as a signature so you do not have to write it every time) with what coach you have.  That will help to get better information for your coach.