djmess01

Louisville KY to Bradeton FL

Question

Whats the best route to take.  Louisville KY to Bradenton FL,  January 2021. I am concerned about steep grades on I65 and I24. Stay away from Mounteagle is all I hear. How bad is it? Is I75 a better choice?  All tips/tricks/suggestions are welcomed. Thanks. 2016 Itasca Sunova 34ft with a tow vehicle. 

4 answers to this question

I would take I-65 to Nashville then I-24 to Chattanooga and then I-75. Monteagle will be down hill. Use lower gears to save brakes. Some up and downs north of Dalton. 

If you really want to avoid grades, take I-65 south until you can take I-10 to I-75. If I remember correctly, there is a long grade near Franklin, TN.  I have done both routes in a motor home, with a travel trailer and in auto towing a utility trailer. I try to avoid I-75 in Kentucky and upper Tennessee due to all the accidents that delay traffic for hours. 

7 hours ago, rossboyer said:

I would take I-65 to Nashville then I-24 to Chattanooga and then I-75. Monteagle will be down hill. Use lower gears to save brakes. Some up and downs north of Dalton. 

If you really want to avoid grades, take I-65 south until you can take I-10 to I-75. If I remember correctly, there is a long grade near Franklin, TN.  I have done both routes in a motor home, with a travel trailer and in auto towing a utility trailer. I try to avoid I-75 in Kentucky and upper Tennessee due to all the accidents that delay traffic for hours. 

What ross described in how we drive to Ft. Myers Fl..  I65S to Montgomery  AL, to US 231S to I10E, to I75S. From Louisville KY to Ft. Myers Fl it is only 60 mlles further than driving I 75 from KY or TN to the Gulf Coast of FL. US 231 is 4-lane highway with 3-4 small towns and Dothan AL.  Mountain driving is avoided in winter is the reason I chose this route, plus avoiding Atlanta.

Free overnight parking at Camping World of Dothan w/15A elect. if you arrive before closing time; and a PFJ at NE corner of the bypass and US231S. Otherwise there is an RV park ~3 miles S of Dothan on W side of US231.

46 minutes ago, RayIN said:

What ross described in how we drive to Ft. Myers Fl..  I65S to Montgomery  AL, to US 231S to I10E, to I75S. From Louisville KY to Ft. Myers Fl it is only 60 mlles further than driving I 75 from KY or TN to the Gulf Coast of FL. US 231 is 4-lane highway with 3-4 small towns and Dothan AL.  Mountain driving is avoided in winter is the reason I chose this route, plus avoiding Atlanta.

Free overnight parking at Camping World of Dothan w/15A elect. if you arrive before closing time; and a PFJ at NE corner of the bypass and US231S. Otherwise there is an RV park ~3 miles S of Dothan on W side of US231.

Yep, this is best route, 120 miles less than going I-65 all the way to I-10, US 231 is 4 lane all the way, while passing through Birmingham, Al., blow the horn at me. Amen on avoiding Atlanta. Welcome to the forum!